Racing Wings?

Bodykits, Interior modifications, Rice Products, anything that is for looks

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

zuihoujueding
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Racing Wings?

Post by zuihoujueding »

mr-charisma wrote:mm.. still not sure if I like them .. still like the stock pre facelift spoiler best..
+1
BJ
Grease Monkey

Post by BJ »

FTO84
Grease Monkey

Post by FTO84 »

zuihoujueding wrote:
mr-charisma wrote:mm.. still not sure if I like them .. still like the stock pre facelift spoiler best..
+1
This
brad_gpx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by brad_gpx »

FTO84 wrote:
zuihoujueding wrote:
+1
This
so true

imo spoilers are meant to be small
big ones just seem so unnecessary
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

J wrote:at high speeds (100km/h) you need down force for the rear, it was evident when i went from the gpvr wing to no wing at all. the rear end was just a tad more unstable. im sure aza can vouch for this aswell

a purely street driven car with a gt wing is absolute rice.

but gt wing on street and track driven car with adjustable sideplates and has canards or a splitter for front end downforce, is fine by me

but on an fto pushing 110kw atw? really?
It seems that too many muppets go out and buy an adjustable racing wing for their Suzuki Baleno or whatever and then decide it's a good idea to adjust it without knowing what they are doing. It's stupid when you realise that, at 100km/h that they could be putting ~100kg of downforce onto a *standard* bootlid, not only that, but they are quite possibly putting so much weight on the back end that their steering wheels are going to get upset.

If it's not on a race track, big racing wings = rice

You guys also need to think about the FTO's bootlid for a second, if you can pop the welds with a sh*tty 10" sub then imagine what happens when you pop a gt wing on there :roll:

Myself, nvr2low (and at a stretch ben and simon though I have never seen them say it) can attest to the need for more weight on the front of the car, hence hard as fk coilovers trying to counteract the weight transfer of acceleration, why would you ever want to make it worse with a wing?

As said above, the only place a GT wing should be used is on the track on a car with sufficient frontal downforce from a proper front bar and other mods to make it all work together. Honestly, I think you would be setting yourself up for disaster putting one on and then driving like a madman on the roads.

Just my opinion of course, but seriously, safety first...
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Hate to say it, but I agree with the above :lol:
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

And I will add that at road speeds they do f**k all, really they are just for show nothing more.

A good way to show that this is true park your car out side on a cold night so it gets frost on it, then take it for a run down the motor way and watch how the frost/water comes off the wing.
You will see that the outer edges will dry off but the center will not. This is due to the car not going at the right speed for it to suck the air down the window and onto the wing area.
The only air that hits the wing would be coming around the sides of the car.
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

I know that only high performance cars it matters, but a lot of them if done right can look visually better. I mean people stick topmix / veilside wings on their cars and it just looks horrible. It's hard to find a decent size so I'll just stick with the facelift wing, that looks the best
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

-Nighthawk- wrote:I'll just stick with the facelift wing, that looks the best
good idea, gt wings look lame :lol:

:P
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

They still look better than the topmix / veilside wings, but it's hard to find the right size to look better than a VR wing
brad_gpx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by brad_gpx »

aza013 wrote:And I will add that at road speeds they do f**k all, really they are just for show nothing more.

A good way to show that this is true park your car out side on a cold night so it gets frost on it, then take it for a run down the motor way and watch how the frost/water comes off the wing.
You will see that the outer edges will dry off but the center will not. This is due to the car not going at the right speed for it to suck the air down the window and onto the wing area.

the can also be used to attract homos
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

brad_gpx wrote:
aza013 wrote:And I will add that at road speeds they do f**k all, really they are just for show nothing more.

lol! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Not that there's anything wrong with that...
bduffman
Oldtimer

Post by bduffman »

I like the I think its silvias spoiler with the triangle brake light in the midle but a lot of the spoilers people throw on there cars are untested I wonder how many are doing good for the car
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I've fiddled with the angle on mine a number of times, especially on track day.

At pace, if its set too high, it takes the weight off the front wheels... not good.
If its set too low, the ass of the car becomes unstable under brakes.

Outside the track, its nothing more than a handle I can use to push the car home when it breaks down.
bushido
Oldtimer

Post by bushido »

that ugly FTO has M3 (E46) wheels on it.

I like the HKS wing though
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
###########Unofficially the loudest FTO in NSW???##########
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
FTO84
Grease Monkey

Post by FTO84 »

brad_gpx wrote:

I thought it'd be more likely to attract dateless Commodore drivers?
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

FTO84 wrote:
brad_gpx wrote:

Yeah thats what he said..... HOMO'S
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Gholdwayne
Oldtimer

Post by Gholdwayne »

I8A4RE wrote:
FTO84 wrote:
brad_gpx wrote:

Yeah thats what he said..... HOMO'S
nice!

but some commodores are respectable, i think the one you guys are referring to are the Commonwhores! the really old and very outdated ones.
97 GPX Icelle Blue

I cant stop driving her!
...and when im not, im looking at her!
... ...and when im not, im freakin thinking about her!

FTO[For The Orgasm]
like For The Win!, but more hardcore...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Fully hektic VNs bro.