Well i guess i never introduced myself.

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

silverGPX
9.5"
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Well i guess i never introduced myself.

Post by silverGPX »

Well hey guys i guess i never really properly introduced myself.

My names matt and i purchased a 1996 Silver GPX, equipped with sunroof, TCL, ABS, Veilside front bar, Dcuatro sideskirts and Matching Rear Apron.

I have a lot of problems with it over time as you have all known haha my most commonly posted forum is FTO HELP LOL.
But i have almost overcome them

It will be soon be lowered on Apexi Springs courtesy of pete, currently being despoilered, and big thick aftermarket swaybar courtesy of dstocks and 5% tint.

If it werent for you guys i would have given up and sold the FTO ages ago. So thanks to all that have helped me

Heres a pic of my car :)

Kustom
Oldtimer

Re: Well i guess i never introduced myself.

Post by Kustom »

Haha well no point really saying WTTC because i'm sure you already feel Welcome, right? Hahaha :P
Your car looks real mint bro - keep at it!

silverGPX wrote: If it werent for you guys i would have given up and sold the FTO ages ago. So thanks to all that have helped me
x10000000000000000000000000000 For me too
Taz wrote:When funds allow
Gholdwayne
Oldtimer

Post by Gholdwayne »

hey man, proper welcome to the club!! :lol:
97 GPX Icelle Blue

I cant stop driving her!
...and when im not, im looking at her!
... ...and when im not, im freakin thinking about her!

FTO[For The Orgasm]
like For The Win!, but more hardcore...
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

thanks haha.
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

welcome old member! lol
wow you got the most expensive bit in your car. the damn weather strips! lol
Slinky-minky
Grease Monkey

Post by Slinky-minky »

why are you taking the spoiler off your car Silver GPX??? Are you sound proofing it, or preping it for another mod, cos you're not leaving it off are you?? Personally I think FTOs although their mechanical genius and style look funny without a rear spoiler. Jap cars without spoilers = :spew: That's just my opinion, and I'm not just saying FTO's I'm including Lancers and other Jap cars in that highly generalised statement also, some can look alright but personally myself they look a million times better with a full body kit (stock or after market) side skirts, front bar, rear bar and a rear spoiler.
Chantalle

EDIT: You're also lowering it? Don't you find that it already scrapes on everything?! Aren't you worried that you're Veilside front bar (which aren't cheap) will get hacked up kinda fast?? I'm not saying that it doesn't look awesome (which is does) Maybe roads in Queensland are a little more car friendly (I've noticed there is so many hot and modified cars in Queensland and NSW in comparison to Victoria, however I have come to the conclusion that, that is due to a lack of resources and rules and regulations about everything)
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

1) QLD roads are the worst of all.
2) its the art of Angle-ing :)
3) FTO's without the rear spoiler can look very nice.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

my car is currently DUMPED on its ass, it looks classier than a BMW. I can get in and out of everything, just takes a little bit of effort, to put it this way, that 1% of painful and frustrating manoevering time i spend going up gutters compared to the 99% of the time i spend driving a car on the road, that handles like its on rails, its seriously worth it.

Also a veilside bar is a two piece unit, if it gets busted up that bad at the bottom, which i will not allow, i have been quoted $150 to get it fixed and resprayed each time and everytime haha. (I have only scraped it twice since i lowered it and that was in the first day) its been a week. I cant get up massive gutters and i cant go over huge speedbumps thats about it. Nothing is stopping you from parking a bit down the road etc.

So to fully answer your question the spoiler is being left off as the boot holes that were there from the original spoiler have been welded and sanded and the boot painted. No sound proofing, well maybe a bit when i put my sub in. But that will be a while. Ive gotta install my polk momo splits & 6x9's, 4ch infinity amp and high end Sony Headunit

Which brings me to my next question to all those with splits, where have you mounted your tweeters and crossovers? or do you just chuck the crossovers behind the kick panels?

P.S i hate seeing speaker wires, its gotta be clean.

And QLD roads are sh*t, my old street had a turn at the bottom which was a 90 degree bend but also the bend was angled at like 45degrees lol, sorta like a motocross track but a road hahah.
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

The car's looking good now, Matt. I'd love to see it with the new suspension in. I should have most of Sunday free if you're interested in getting together at my place and putting in that sound gear.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Yeah looks so low man, such a low stance, i love the bouncing low look on the road. Im so happy with the suspension man, ill be around on thursday to pay the other half. Will you be there?

The rears were a c**t to get in had to lever the control arm down, was levering down with a piece of splintery wood between the legs hahaha. but its in. droplinks looked fine as well, but i need two new chassis bushes though.
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

silverGPX wrote:Yeah looks so low man, such a low stance, i love the bouncing low look on the road. Im so happy with the suspension man, ill be around on thursday to pay the other half. Will you be there?

The rears were a c**t to get in had to lever the control arm down, was levering down with a piece of splintery wood between the legs hahaha. but its in. droplinks looked fine as well, but i need two new chassis bushes though.
Ohhhhhhhh... your the one that bought 96GPX. Ulikes old car, wasn't it? Or is that 95gpx... I forget... anyway, were you in brisbane last saturday afternoon (around 5.30-6pm) I think my GF might have seen you on the motorway
Slinky-minky
Grease Monkey

Post by Slinky-minky »

Silver GPX: That's great :) I forgot all about them being in 2 parts, I should have remembered that.I spent quite a lot of time a few months back helping Brenton sand the whole lot of his Veilside back, to be resprayed for his GPX.

Glad it's looking good, you wouldn't want anyone comparing your car to a BMW, everyone I speak to that owns one is quite dissatisfied with them. I think you can (As a generalisation) tell a lot about someone from their ride, and BMW's are not classy, they're German family sedans (like a Commodore or a Falcon) they're just prestige cars in Australia because our government taxes the arse out of cars that aren't made in Australia, hence why Ford and Holden are so popular.

I'm not saying that it's not worth lowering it, because it does look damn good, and I suppose as long as you keep it in mind, and don't take it bush bashing or flog it over gutters without being mindful, it should be alright, even better if you can get it repaired at a low price without stuffing the whole structure of it.

I would suggest putting the tweeters in the door lining up high sorta near the top, I'm finding it hard to explain where it is, I have seen this done a few times and if your tweeters are black they just look like they are meant to be there, more so if it's done that well that they sit flush against the panel. Brenton (Brent88) has his tweeters there and they look really good, however I have also seen some bad examples involving duct tape and visible wires, this just looks tacky. I have also seen the crossovers being mounted to the map holder because the front of the map holder can be removed, and attached that way. There out of the way and once again no messy wires, because they can be run behind and under things like carpet and trims. Brenton might have suggestions, his sound system is installed really well.

If Queensland roads are as sh*t as Victorian ones, they're awful. I can think of a few streets where tree roots have grown out and under the road and split and cracked it creating a mini speed hump, of course I think Bendigo City Council has left it like it, cos they're enjoying having a free speed hump for a residential street that people hoon up.
The only downside with taking speed humps, driveways ect slowly and on an angle is that you get beeped by the impatient people behind you, who don't consider that your doing that for a reason and you're not a Grandma or Grandpa out for a Sunday drive after church, perhaps this is only a local problem, because everyone drives bombs that they really don't give a sh** about, and haven't bothered lowering or putting a body kit on, or a Mitsubishi Star Wagon to transport there 8 kids around in.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Kustom_FTO wrote:
silverGPX wrote:Yeah looks so low man, such a low stance, i love the bouncing low look on the road. Im so happy with the suspension man, ill be around on thursday to pay the other half. Will you be there?

Ohhhhhhhh... your the one that bought 96GPX. Ulikes old car, wasn't it? Or is that 95gpx... I forget... anyway, were you in brisbane last saturday afternoon (around 5.30-6pm) I think my GF might have seen you on the motorway
Nah i just bought the plates 96GPX, pete said something about someone owning a 96GPX, but nah i bought mine from a caryard in southport. It was the last GPX combination available hehehe :mrgreen:

But nah i havent driven it on the motorway, closest i have been to brisbane in it is blacksoil since i got it back from the panel beaters.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Slinky-minky wrote:Silver GPX: That's great :) I forgot all about them being in 2 parts, I should have remembered that.I spent quite a lot of time a few months back helping Brenton sand the whole lot of his Veilside back, to be resprayed for his GPX.

Glad it's looking good, you wouldn't want anyone comparing your car to a BMW, everyone I speak to that owns one is quite dissatisfied with them. I think you can (As a generalisation) tell a lot about someone from their ride, and BMW's are not classy, they're German family sedans (like a Commodore or a Falcon) they're just prestige cars in Australia because our government taxes the arse out of cars that aren't made in Australia, hence why Ford and Holden are so popular.

I'm not saying that it's not worth lowering it, because it does look damn good, and I suppose as long as you keep it in mind, and don't take it bush bashing or flog it over gutters without being mindful, it should be alright, even better if you can get it repaired at a low price without stuffing the whole structure of it.

I would suggest putting the tweeters in the door lining up high sorta near the top, I'm finding it hard to explain where it is, I have seen this done a few times and if your tweeters are black they just look like they are meant to be there, more so if it's done that well that they sit flush against the panel. Brenton (Brent88) has his tweeters there and they look really good, however I have also seen some bad examples involving duct tape and visible wires, this just looks tacky. I have also seen the crossovers being mounted to the map holder because the front of the map holder can be removed, and attached that way. There out of the way and once again no messy wires, because they can be run behind and under things like carpet and trims. Brenton might have suggestions, his sound system is installed really well.

If Queensland roads are as sh*t as Victorian ones, they're awful. I can think of a few streets where tree roots have grown out and under the road and split and cracked it creating a mini speed hump, of course I think Bendigo City Council has left it like it, cos they're enjoying having a free speed hump for a residential street that people hoon up.
The only downside with taking speed humps, driveways ect slowly and on an angle is that you get beeped by the impatient people behind you, who don't consider that your doing that for a reason and you're not a Grandma or Grandpa out for a Sunday drive after church, perhaps this is only a local problem, because everyone drives bombs that they really don't give a sh** about, and haven't bothered lowering or putting a body kit on, or a Mitsubishi Star Wagon to transport there 8 kids around in.
Oh theres this classy BMW i would kill for its like worth 170k or something, looks so nice. The guy that owns it actually fills up and (i work at BP), walked around mine a couple of times and came in and talked to me about it for like half an hour haha must have similiar taste. new bmw's looks so freakin evil! :mrgreen:

Yeah i do look like a bit of a tosser angling things and going slow down things, havent got beeped at yet. :P Lol most people know me in my area as they come to get fuel so they must be scared im gonna go off at them or something when they come in.

And about the tweeters, mine sit flat for some reason, they dont angle so i have to find a surface thats already angled, i put a thread in the ICE Section on it and put a picture up, if you wanted to have a look?

And for the crossovers, i have decided to just throw them behind the kickpanel, they are kind of an ugly cheap look.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

silverGPX wrote: And about the tweeters, mine sit flat for some reason, they dont angle so i have to find a surface thats already angled, i put a thread in the ICE Section on it and put a picture up, if you wanted to have a look?
all you have to do is cut an MDF ring on an angle .. sort of in a wedge shape to mount it on ..
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

ah, ok. and then spraypaint the ring...

what do u think of where i was going to put them?
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

silverGPX wrote:
Kustom_FTO wrote:

Nah i just bought the plates 96GPX, pete said something about someone owning a 96GPX, but nah i bought mine from a caryard in southport. It was the last GPX combination available hehehe :mrgreen:

But nah i havent driven it on the motorway, closest i have been to brisbane in it is blacksoil since i got it back from the panel beaters.
Mustve been 94 GPX, or 95 GPX she saw then.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

mr-charisma wrote:
silverGPX wrote: And about the tweeters, mine sit flat for some reason, they dont angle so i have to find a surface thats already angled, i put a thread in the ICE Section on it and put a picture up, if you wanted to have a look?
all you have to do is cut an MDF ring on an angle .. sort of in a wedge shape to mount it on ..
No use a piece of PVC piping the stuff you find at bunnings or any hardware store.
then you can cover it in cloth or vinyl or even paint it. Or you could one step further with fibreglass and bondo and then textured paint
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

how would you even screw the tweets into PVC pipe? :roll:

not hard to holesaw a bit of mdf & then holesaw again to make the ring
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

i honestly have no idea what you guys are talking about or what to do with these pvc pipes you are showing me.. Can i have some pictures of your tweeters lol