Engine work and conditioning

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

koolio1234
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Engine work and conditioning

Post by koolio1234 »

Been interested in learning more about N/A engine modifications such as port/polishing and increasing overall head flow. Anyone know of where I could get more information resources on this topic like books, manuals, videos, etc. So far I've been watching a few sampled instructional video's on youtube but they seem to centre around american pushrod engines with not much on jap engines (twin cam).

Here's an example:

I found this to be an interesting read: http://www.billzilla.org/engineintro.htm

Plan is to invest in a cheap/modest twin cam engine (4AGE,SR20DE,G13B) and pull it apart and learn it back to front. Not planning on becoming a mechanic or opening a performance shop :lol: just like to know more so I'm more confident around an engine and be able to do my own work on future projects.

Knowledge like this should definitely help in the longterm as I have a few projects in mind for the next few years, hoping to get started once I settle into a stable work situation (have lots of free time at the moment). Main thing in mind includes an fto track car for open class or hillclimb (still looking into it). Not sure how much modification is allowed in these classes but even if they're not allowed then being able to carry out my own maintenance and recondition work would be good.
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
payaya
Oldtimer

Re: Engine work and conditioning

Post by payaya »

Billzilla is part of performance forums. There is a dude on the forum that modifies head with breathe better. His name is TK.

Sometimes it works, sometimes the mods if semi pointless.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Mate go down to the the local libary there is an absolute pleather of books. Cant really tell you were to start cause I dont know what level your at now.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

I'll definitely give it a go, but Im not sure how much I'll find on reconditioning and mechanical engines in general. There's heaps of stuff on thermodynamics, fluid dynamics and other engineering topics but I've done a fair bit on those in uni. Will definitely check though. Havent dismantled an engine or had any hands on experience in maintenance like belts, tensioners, pulleys, cams, valvetrain, gaskets, etc. Hence wanting to get started.
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
bduffman
Oldtimer

Post by bduffman »

get the 4age :) gotta love the corollas :) used to own a corolla the galant also came out with a 4G93 twin cam engine
bduffman
Oldtimer

Post by bduffman »

remember eye safety of this might be you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eJHtnCC ... re=related
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Good stuff! Someone actually willing to learn the dark arts.

You wont find much of it on the internet. You'll find plenty of books on it as mentioned. Best bet would be to go down to a performance workshop & simply watch.
bduffman
Oldtimer

Post by bduffman »

yea nice one you got me looking at porting and polishing all last night havent slept haha could only find one place in gosford that dose bore and hone dosent say if they do porting but reading last night makes me not want to try incase i stuff up
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

I've decided to go with an older/cheaper ute for work and use my remaining funds on other things like my upcoming mechanical projects and maybe a bit of traveling.

Found a few general mechanical knowledge books at the local library, will definitely check the uni library on monday as well.
Currently eyeing a 4age on ebay, gonna watch that and see how I go (always had a soft spot for the twin cam jap 4 banger). Also found a still running 4g15 (mirage SOHC engine) for $40 (without manifolds), might grab it to practice assembly/maintenance stuff on before I decide to play around with something of greater value. Reverse engineering is one of the best methods of learning (for me anyway). Will keep it as a spare for a friends mirage anyway.

Gonna check in with some local performance places as there's a fair few in Girraween, some I've dealt with before.
bduffman
Oldtimer

Post by bduffman »

$40 sounds like you could go to town on it and test out porting and how every thing works i wouldnt mind building up a engine one day for the fto
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

bduffman wrote:$40 sounds like you could go to town on it and test out porting and how every thing works i wouldnt mind building up a engine one day for the fto
yeah, I figured why not, gives me something to have a play with. Its only down the road as well, will pick it up tomorrow.
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

koolio1234 wrote:
bduffman wrote:$40 sounds like you could go to town on it and test out porting and how every thing works i wouldnt mind building up a engine one day for the fto
yeah, I figured why not, gives me something to have a play with. Its only down the road as well, will pick it up tomorrow.

God on you mate :D it is the best way to learn 8)
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI