Upgrading intake now, love some feedback!

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

StraydoG
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Upgrading intake now, love some feedback!

Post by StraydoG »

Thanks for all the help on my Sports vs Cannon mufflers, it helped so much. Now on the hunt for working out an intake upgrade. I want to spend less on this one, I have been told could be upto $1000 for the full works of pod filter, custom box, piping/ducting etc. Any ideas on a cheaper method and whats the most restrictive parts?

I was thinking instead was getting a K&N filter, thats a must. Along with the filter would more/better ducting to get air into the box be worth the monies? Shouldnt cost more than $400 to do all that work.
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Re: Upgrading intake now, love some feedback!

Post by FTEvolution »

Well... considering I got a mandrel bent 3" exhaust, IC piping and a bitchin' intake system for $1250 incl GST I would have to say that a single intake and cold air induction system including filter (don't have to be K&N, there are many good brands out there, I am using Simota) could be around $500 or so including tax.

Shop around and try performance shops instead of dedicated exhaust shops or chain workshops.

Also, get a written quote from one, then goto another and ask if they can beat the price; more often than not they will go out of their way to get the business.

As for specifics to get done, mandrel bent pipe, probably about 3" going from throttlebody to where you want to have the box, then another pipe from that box to the front of the car somewhere. Bit of pipe, bit of sheet metal, a filter, some clamps, bit of labour and some sundry items and it will be done for sweet FA.

Everything in the engine bay of mine is aluminium, and the exhaust is mild steel which kept the price very manageable.

Go for aluminium on yours and reap the savings :)
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

depends if you're keeping it in the stock intake box or not or if you will be making a custom box for it..

The most expensive part of the setup should be the filter & I would be going for major brands like K&N, HKS, Apexi etc - otherwise don't even bother.

The UAS Kit is awesome .. so if you can get one from a member that is selling theirs incl heat shielding, that would be #1 preference.

Otherwise, all you need is a length of 3" Stainless Steel Piping with a 45' degree bend. & a couple of straight bits of 3" silicone hose & pipe clamps- you get bonus points for high quality hoses e.g. Samco - but not neccessary - All can be bought on Ebay probably for less than $80-100

if you can squeeze on a bit of 45' degree silicon hose over the 45' degree bend just in order to cover the exposed aluminium this should help with the heat.. because exposed stainless steel will absorb it like crazy & it's not ideal .. might be a tiny bit easier to squeeze on if you chuck the pipe in the freezer & hose in the oven for a bit

As a box, you can quite easily make one up with aluminium, or even some tough plastic - just do a mock up with cardboard first, but I would cover it with some heat sheilding material as you'd get from Clark Rubber or Bunnings as an adhesive sheet with a Fibreglass layer & aluminium reflective layer.

I will try & put up a template for an airbox soon..
bduffman
Oldtimer

Post by bduffman »

Dosent rpw have a kit ? What's that like
bushido
Oldtimer

Post by bushido »

bit of piping into a BMC CDA then more piping to the front bar. WIN. although I havent seen BMC'c for less than 350 8O 8O
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
###########Unofficially the loudest FTO in NSW???##########
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
StraydoG
Apprentice

Post by StraydoG »

Guess I need to look around. Options still there, not sure what I should be going for yet.

Same for the exhaust, got quoted $1400 one place but done at another for $880.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Just get 2 x 90 degree silicone bends in 3" & a section of 3 inch pipe to join them & wack the filter on the end.

Pretty sure dstocks & aza have the template for the box.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Bennoz wrote:Just get 2 x 90 degree silicone bends in 3" & a section of 3 inch pipe to join them & wack the filter on the end.

Pretty sure dstocks & aza have the template for the box.
mm, disagree .. 1 x 3" 90 degree silicon bend, 1 x 3" 45 degree length of piping, 1 x 3" straight coupling ..

puts it perfectly in the corner behind the lights & bends aren't as harsh as 2 x 90 degrees .. but meh .. either way will do the job..