Impulse buying ROFL

From Ferrari's to Fiats, it happens in here.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FTEvolution
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Impulse buying ROFL

Post by FTEvolution »

Well,

I brought another car last night...

1998 BMW 320i Motorsport

Got it at Turners Auctions for $4300; had it at $4k but someone decided to put their damned hand up so we decided to push it to $4500 tops. It's in absolutely beautiful condition, immaculate really. The only issue I can see is that the boot lid appears to be delaminating. Should be an easy fix though.

Seat of the pants Dyno feels quicker than a 4 speed auto GPX, whether that's true or not I don't know. It is responsive though, perhaps it's the gearing. It runs an M52B20 engine, perhaps with Double VANOS (like MIVEC) which I believe is why it also felt far more responsive than the 528. Turners test track is rather small but I did manage to get it above 5k rpm and could definitely feel the VANOS hit, it's a bit more obvious than MIVEC, bit more of a kick akin to VTEC YO!!!!! yo! Power according to sites is around the 145-150 HP mark, but torque is listed as about 190 Nm @ 3500 rpm, which is about the same as a MIVEC 6A12 is listed as. Again, I believe that the gearing is what makes a difference seat of the pants.
M Series Engine Spec
M52B20 110KW/5900rpm, 190Nm/4200rpm
It's only a 2 litre, but as I am keeping the FTO and rebuilding it I feel that fuel savings etc are rather more important; need a comfortable cruiser, and that's what this is :)

I don't know much about the models of BMW but I assume that the Motorsport model has the body kit (which this does), sportier seats etc. Do they have uprated suspension and brakes? The Wiki's are rather unhelpful, and the beamer forums are HUGE, a lot of information to dredge through there. Easier to ask here, anyone know the differences between a stock 320i and the 320i M-Power (or however they designate them)? This one is ex Japan.

The k's are quite high, but it feels very tight. We test drove a lower k's 528i which *looked* nice, but the engine was covered in grime and there was smoke coming from an oil leak over the manifold. It also had a flat battery, broken interior parts, fkd central locking and the suspension felt very loose with a few noises. Decided that was a risk we didn't want to take and then the missus saw the 320i that we brought.

As I said, the car is immaculate, especially the engine bay; and I don't mean immaculate like "they got in there with a tooth brush, but you can still see little bits of grime where they couldn't reach" I mean "my god, it looks brand new." I *think* I am going to take out a mechanical warranty for peace of mind, depending on price. I declined it last night, but as we haven't taken ownership of the car yet I think it should still be on the table.

The missus needs to learn to drive, and I haven't been keen to let her loose in the FTO of doom. This will be perfect for her being auto, and it will be a nice lazy cruiser for me. It is nice to know though that there is huge aftermarket support for them *if* I decided to do something silly. Apparently many parts from M50 engines and all M52 engines are bolt on replacements, as are M3 suspension and components. Big gains are to be had from fitting the intake manifold from the M50 (huge ports) onto the M52. Apparently the ECU reprograms itself too. Oh, the current ECU is flashable/programmable. I'm rather excited.

I pick it up after work today, needless to say I cannot sleep 8O hence why I am posting about it now :) I will upload some proper high resolution pics tonight after I get home.

A few low res pics are on the link above but don't really do it justice.

Where does this leave me with the FTO? Well, I shift back to Christchurch the week after next, we will be flatting for up to 2 months or so until everything is settled. After that my venerable little illegal FTO will be pulled off the road, I haven't decided whether I want to tarmac race it or turn it into a bit of a drag strip eating show pony, but this is what I plan to do at this point:

- Remove most of the panels, I will then get rid of all of the grazes and marks and give her some TLC.
- Put her on axle stands and replace all bushes etc as well as change the springs in the coilovers to legal spring rates.
- Replace brake rotors and calipers, also considering braided brake lines though may be overkill.
- Remove the engine and check/replace seals and do the cambelt kit etc. Engine has still only done about 55,000 k's so is relatively fresh, but it's a good chance to do the preventative stuff.
- While engine is out I will get a second hand tip box (if mine is too fkd) and get it rebuilt. I will also think about rerouting wiring in the engine bay for a clean look.
- Buy a cheap skirt and lip kit, and modify the front bumper with the lip for a wide open mouth.
- Possible respray in either standard (fresh) Passion Red or perhaps a wine metallic, including engine bay.
- Buy some new wheels.

Once all of that is done it will be in a state of being well ready for certifying and re-registration; really was stupid to let it lapse.
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
brad_gpx
Veteran Mechanic

Re: Impulse buying ROFL

Post by brad_gpx »

nice thats a steal at that price
i dislike the interior though
i thought that 98 models had the leather interior? or is that just with the 323s?
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

brad_gpx wrote:nice thats a steal at that price
i dislike the interior though
i thought that 98 models had the leather interior? or is that just with the 323s?
Yeah I feel it was a steal too, as for the interior, it's in very good condition. As for the leather, I don't know. All I know is I hate wearing shorts on leather seats ><

As with everything else, the interior parts from an M3 for example would simply bolt in which I may look into in the future. For now, the seats are easily as comfortable if not more so than my FTO and very supportive :)

Now to fighure out how to remove the stereo XD
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

congrats mate .. happy for ya ... you've obviously considered every other car under the sun based on your other posts but I have no idea about BMW's whatsoever so I don't have much to say about it ;)
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

mr-charisma wrote:congrats mate .. happy for ya ... you've obviously considered every other car under the sun based on your other posts but I have no idea about BMW's whatsoever so I don't have much to say about it ;)
Thanks mate, and yeah, I have been looking at every possibility. My problem was that I wanted something bigger as a daily but Japanese cars in the age range are just so bland (with the exceptions of FTO's, RX7's, etc, but those are sports cars). I have been wanting something far more comfortable for long distance driving, the reason I am leaving Wellington is because my old man has had heart problems, travelling will be necessary. Family > all else imo.

Got a quote for a new car equivalent warranty of $890 for the first year that will cover everything bar the wiring loom (god knows why) but with a maximum claim of ~$4k because of the k's. I am seriously contemplating that, even though it feels mint, it's still high k's. Peace of mind is something I value :)

There is another option for a warranty that is less comprehensive and has a maximum claim of $1k per claim; didn't get a price for that at this point, but that may be enough to cover parts at least for 2nd hand gearbox or engine replacement if something goes funky.

Back on topic, euros have just felt far smoother and more refined in this age bracket and this one certainly fits the bill. Best thing is that these have been going privately for $1-$1.5k more than what I paid and in worse condition privately; I am confident I could at least get my money back in 6 months or so without many dramas.

It's nice to not have to search any more. It's also nice to not have had to get rid of the FTO because I KNOW had that happened I would be plenty pissed having a slower car. Alas, best of both worlds now :) nice smooth cruiser, and a blindingly quick toy win/win for me :)

Smooth and sleepy

zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

for $4.5k...what a steal!!!! :)
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

zuihoujueding wrote:for $4.5k...what a steal!!!! :)
I know mate, and it just gets better and better; AA Insurance wants to offer me full cover with an agreed value of $9k!!!!!!!!!!!

I told her we got it for $4.3k and she offered that; $592 per year but that includes both myself (fully licensed for 15 years) and my fiance ONCE she gets her learners license. $400 excess for me, $800 for her.

Things are working out quite well in my opinion :)

Going to pick her up in about 1/2 an hour.

Smooth and sleepy

FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

Just picked it up and it purrs like a kitten, nowhere near the power and torque of my FTO, but it isn't meant to be like that. It's smooth to drive and the suspension felt tight over the 15km motorway journey back to the city.

It felt a little wallowy, or a slow bounce if you like, over dips in the road etc, then again, my daily driver til now has had way too hard springs in a set of D2 coil overs so it may just take some time to get used to. Steers straight and true and hands off steering wheel at 100km/h just drove straight too.

Smooth and sleepy

Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

nice buy, i like the colour :D
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

Been driving it all weekend and it feels great :)

The wallowy stuff I mentioned isn't actually a problem, just wasn't used to driving something smooth XD

Did a couple hundred k's over the weekend to get used to it, and have to day, I'm in love :) the FTO is still my passion, but as a daily this new car can't be beaten. Did I mention that it doesn't bounce all over the place over every small bump like the FTO? lol.

Smooth and sleepy

brad_gpx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by brad_gpx »

FTEvolution wrote:Did I mention that it doesn't bounce all over the place over every small bump like the FTO? lol.
okay im jealous now
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

FTEvolution wrote:Just picked it up and it purrs like a kitten, nowhere near the power and torque of my FTO, but it isn't meant to be like that. It's smooth to drive and the suspension felt tight over the 15km motorway journey back to the city.

It felt a little wallowy, or a slow bounce if you like, over dips in the road etc, then again, my daily driver til now has had way too hard springs in a set of D2 coil overs so it may just take some time to get used to. Steers straight and true and hands off steering wheel at 100km/h just drove straight too.
I know exactly what you mean about the slow bounce and dipping, I drive a E36 318i as a daily and have that exact same characteristic. Can't complain too much as soft suspension is much nicer to have than stiffer suspension on a daily. Feels heavy on the road which gives you a feeling of safety and comfort.

One thing I would highly recommend is changing the timing belt (or chain depending on the model) even if it looks ok. These engines are notorious for snapping belts before the official servicing interval even when the belt still looks good.
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]