Electric water pump

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Shane001
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Electric water pump

Post by Shane001 »

I really doubt a modern power steering system would take a lot of power from the engine when it's not active (ie not turning). Regardless there would be a lot more cost in time & money to replace the existing system with an electric setup and I don't think the benefit you would see would be worth it.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

This mod is progressing nicely.

I've figured out the easiest way to remove the impeller blades from the stock water pump, the front of the engine is currently dismantled ready to put this back on. I've figured out how best to mount the electric pump in the lower radiator hose, just need to make up an alloy bracket to give it some rigidity. Then all I need to do is wire it in :)

Sadly I won't be able to dyno before and after. Simply don't have the time or money. So I won't know exactly what the gains will be from this. I expect there will be increasing gains the higher the revs though.

And yep I've been taking lots of pics so will post a write up once I'm done ;)
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

yes! finally some one have taken the plunge into electric water pump! and im glad its you! lol
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

lol its a good dodgy fix if your water pump ever fails too :P
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

Looks on with interest :D
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

silverGPX wrote:lol its a good dodgy fix if your water pump ever fails too :P
It'd be much easier & quicker to install a new standard water pump than an electric ;)

This one's not for the faint hearted, pretty involved mod!
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

exactly....thats why we need you to investigate and hopefully come back with good news and feedback. :)
oh btw, your video looks great!
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

This mod is almost finished, the ewp is installed and working, just need to wire a switch and guage into the cockpit. The standard modified pump and timing belt are back on, still have to reinstall all the intake.

Will be a while yet before I can test it at the track though, there's a couple more things I want to sort before I take it out for a test run.

Hopefully will have this tested before christmas :)
bduffman
Oldtimer

Post by bduffman »

Are you installing a delay shut down for better cooling down after you shut the car off
What is the draw of it
I remember you asked bout lights and how it affects the engine well the other day cold start no lights then turned lights on ( hids ) and you can hear the diff in the engine sounds like it puts more load on the engine
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

bduffman wrote:Are you installing a delay shut down for better cooling down after you shut the car off
This is a race car, everything will be toggle switched :lol:
bduffman wrote: What is the draw of it
4-6amps pumping water / 2amps pumping air ;)
bduffman wrote: I remember you asked bout lights and how it affects the engine well the other day cold start no lights then turned lights on ( hids ) and you can hear the diff in the engine sounds like it puts more load on the engine
Yep at idle you do notice it, but I expect at W.O.T. it will be negligible. I plan to test this myself next time I'm on the dyno.

Anyone know how many amps the headlights draw?
bduffman
Oldtimer

Post by bduffman »

Depends if your running hid or normal could always check if you have a volt metre
im off tomorrow if I remember ild grab the volt metre out when I get home
bduffman
Oldtimer

Post by bduffman »

Just came across this in a google serch just to give u some sort of idea of amps they said

Dividing the wattage of the bulb by the voltage of the system gives the current drawn in Amperes. So, for a 60W bulb in a 12V system, the draw will be 60/12 = 5 amps. For a 100W bulb in a 12V system, the draw is 100/12 = 8. 3 amps.

Good answer, however actual current draw may be less. Most vehicles run anywhere from 13.5 to 14.5 volts once running. Higher voltage means less current for any given wattage. Dividing by 12 is a good baseline but can be conservative because it over-estimates.
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

For wattage drawn, as above in bduffman's post.

I've seen a result of a car running on highbeams on the dyno, it lost a couple of kws...nothing to write home about. The EWP shouldn't pull a heap of current though but i'm not 100% on that. Used to run one in a corolla..
bduffman
Oldtimer

Post by bduffman »

You should be right when it comes to power though seeings a street car would prob have a lot more draw happening then your car due to sterio and all
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Delvance wrote:The EWP shouldn't pull a heap of current though but i'm not 100% on that.
4-6amps pumping water / 2amps pumping air
millsy
Grease Monkey

Post by millsy »

im somewhat of an electrician, and highly mod electrical with DC aswel, and i can tell you that the pump will pull probably 10-14 amps, pumps and electric motors pull a fair bit, think of a vacuum cleaner, that just has to suck air, with water (depending on rpm of the pump) it adds a lot more resistance, let alone how much resistance it takes to get the water around the engine, if those "4-6 amp draw with water" stats are true, it would have ben mesured water from, say, one cup to another, verry little resistance to move a few mls a short distance, but when you have half the water in your engine/radiator putting pressure on the pump, and all the fine little engine capilleries and veins it would take a lot.

the pump's motor may burn out quite fast. if you want to save a lot of the draw, then i would make up a relay switchboard from a water temp sensor, when the water is, say 20-50degrees, the pump is only powered off say 3volts, 50-7=4volt, or as many variables as you want, saves load, and engine always at a contant temp due to water circulating faster (with the aid of the fans that you can easily wire up to activate at certain temps, but when your going 80ks or so you can slow the load to whatever speed you want, having forced cold air going through anyway.. my 2 cents :P
millsy
Grease Monkey

Post by millsy »

** point being, it will draw more than anything in your car and will burn out and needs modification for proper use..and 10-14 amps is me being generous, try 18. but im not sure, but am sure it will draw 3 or more times a headlight, and if it doesnt then the impeller is to small and will burn out after a few weeks
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Sorry millsy but "mostly an electrician" or not, you're completely wrong.

The pump draws 4 amps installed on the FTO with 15psi pressure in the system. I know, I've tested it! This is fact, not assumption!

On my previous racecar, a turbo Supra, it pulled 6amps. Hence my 4 to 6amps comment.
Last edited by Shane001 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

millsy wrote:** point being, it will draw more than anything in your car and will burn out and needs modification for proper use..and 10-14 amps is me being generous, try 18. but im not sure, but am sure it will draw 3 or more times a headlight, and if it doesnt then the impeller is to small and will burn out after a few weeks
Complete and utter rubbish! It pulls 4amps, and will run flatout forever without burning out! These pumps are designed for this purpose. I had one for years on my previous racecar and the only thing that killed it was the concrete wall at Reid Park!
millsy
Grease Monkey

Post by millsy »

Ahk, beautiful, if its been properly tested then your in the clear, suppose im talking about $20 universal pumps, so quality is assured with your price, im guessing that yours is purpose built for automotive and the "rpm" is already set to an efficient value. And if it was tested with 15psi then thats all the assurance i need, i may get one now. Good on ya for being aware