fto project car

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

mikencath
jedwabna poszewka promocja

fto project car

Post by mikencath »

Just bought a red 95 FTO GPX at auction. It's hail damaged from the freak storm we had in Perth a couple of months ago and the interior can use a bit of work (thanks previous owner for spraypainting the centre console red that doesn't match the rest and is scratching off and looking crap!) but we wanted a project car and we love it! :D Unfortunately it's unlicensed. But it goes!
Does anyone know how to remove said spraypaint from the plastic/vinyl console without damaging the plastic underneath? We're going to have to replace some of it anyway as it's cracked, but hopefully most of it is salvageable.
Also, anyone know where to get interior parts that aren't tooo expensive...
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Re: fto project car

Post by I8A4RE »

Parts pm dstocks ( a member from here).

As to removing the paint it depends on what type of paint the have used. I would take it to a automotive paint place and they should be able to help you. Just becarefull though as some dissolvents will damage the finish on the plastic part.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
mikencath

Post by mikencath »

Thanks, I've heard a few things work - nail polish remover, brake fluid etc. I'll try it somewhere inconspicuous first though!!
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

or just paint over it with black :D
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
mikencath

Post by mikencath »

Thought about just going over it with black, but that will probably scratch off eventually too, especially since the red coat is pretty bad to begin with.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Yeah, I would not suggest you do that, for that exact reason. It will just end up being a bigger headache later on.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

wttc
Taz wrote:When funds allow
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

welcome
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

best option is to sand back the paint & re-paint it properly .. sounds like the previous owner didn't go the whole 9 yard with his prep work before painting..

the plastic is treated with a thin, silky film of something like a varnish that if worn off ends up looking pretty rubbish if you use turps or something on it
mikencath

Post by mikencath »

Yeah, I think sanding off the old paint and re-painting it with proper plastics paint will be the way to go. Still haven't got round to trying out different solvents on the broken bits yet, so I'll see how that goes!
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

mikencath wrote:Yeah, I think sanding off the old paint and re-painting it with proper plastics paint will be the way to go. Still haven't got round to trying out different solvents on the broken bits yet, so I'll see how that goes!
Hey mate, welcome to the club :)

You're probably better off replacing the busted plastic bits, once they go brittle, you can glue them all you like, but they'll just break somewhere else.

Those centre sections are quite common to break, if you pm one of our members here 'dstocks' he usually has stock of those bits at good prices, brand new too. ;)
mikencath

Post by mikencath »

Thanks for that! The centre console is now in about a thousand pieces (I dropped a piece that was broken anyway and it just shattered!) so that will definitely need replacing. I think there are some bits missing too.
All the other plastic trim is mostly ok, except for the paint! We are currently working on the wiring (spaghetti!) and the dash so when it's time to put it all back together I'll order the parts we need -thanks for the info.
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Yep, I can get them.....
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    silverGPX
    9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

You should make a mold of them dstocks, would that be possible? and sell them for like $50. $200 for a stereo surround is soooo much for a little bit of plastic.