forged pistons and rods 6a12

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

fto-007
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

forged pistons and rods 6a12

Post by fto-007 »

hi all just wondering if anyone would know where to get some forged pistons and rods for a 6a12 mivec and how much? Do any other pistons or rods fit into them that would lower the comp? where do you get them from as i am having hard time finding anyone that can get them......or get back to me lol as i am turboing fto atm.Is it worth it to put forged internals in it? are the stock internals strong and last question whats the first thing to fail under forced induction??
anyone that could help would be much appreciated cheeps :)
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Re: forged pistons and rods 6a12

Post by I8A4RE »

Ok firstly have you read my thread? or any of the turbo threads on here?

I was a mechanic by trade but never really worked on turbo's before, so knew the basics but nothing comprehensive and found almost everything I needed to know was in the turbo section.

I have been driving mine for 1.5 years now and the only drama I had was it overheating at the very start cause I didnt bleed the radiator system properly.

But in short, you need forged internals if you plan to run a monster over 10psi and the cheapest I could find them 2 years ago (pistons and rods) was about $1600 IIRC. If your worried about decomp just get a decompression gasket.

Whats the first thing to go???? Could be anything, not tuned right the... the engine. To much power drive shafts etc etc etc
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Stock internal are strong in an NA environment & high rpm.

Up against boost, they are not strong.

Off the shelf units available here:
http://www.rb-performance.co.uk/catalog ... ucts_id/39

Or here: (contact them for more info.)
http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/index.php?or ... mitstart=0

Both will cost you a bomb. If I was trying to source some rods, I'd be taking a factory item down to these guys & getting them to make up a set. Cut out the middle man.
http://www.par-engineering.com/sections ... Id=Conrods
fto-007
Grease Monkey

Post by fto-007 »

yeah i have done a bit of reading up on this and you 2 guys know your s##t lol and i thought i would just ask the questions. what kinda boost could you run with a decompress head gasket 9:1 with stock internals? or is it better to leave head gasket with low boost? thanks
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Well, I reckon if you dropped the compression, you'd be ok up to maybe 12-14 pound.

Only issue with decompressing is that it cost a fortune. Gotta buy gaskets & pull both heads off, there's a fair whack of labour in that, especially since the timing assembly will also have to come off as a result.

Thats why I spose, the few of us that went looking for big power, just bit the bullet & dropped the 6A13 in outta the VR4 Legnum. Bolts to the same mounts & all.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

THIS THIS THIS. I think the imprtant thing is to tell us what your goal is, were you would like to be in terms of power and your budget. Once you can answer that question, then we can give you the best advice.

I am really happy with the kw but more importantly the torque I get from mine and I am still only running 5 pound. I believe that mine is still capable of running at least 8 pound. However if your looking for a monster then definitly go the 6a13 but you will need more coin as there is only so much you can get from a 6a12 without going forged internals
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
fto-007
Grease Monkey

Post by fto-007 »

yeah i can see what your saying and it all makes sense. labour isnt a problem just machining costs.i just want something that will run around 10psi and be reliable. Im willing to spend 8 grand in all.....fingers crossed around. 200fw kw would be great :) i have bought a t28 with .64 a/r for quick spool up.Would you recommend 6a13tt injectors as of the ohms, and direct bolt in????
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Your going to be really really stretching your budget to achieve 10psi, reliable for 8k.

Yes you will need injectors at least 210cc for 10 pound. The turbo you have is perfect.
bduffman
Oldtimer

Post by bduffman »

8k um from reading all the turbo threads if u can do it good luck but ecu and tuning is costly and there will always always be a issue or two in a turbo build the dollars add up quick , my advise is plan every thing and alow for issues in cost and if it means putting the build off for a bit do it , cause its better then running out of funds and car not being driveable
fto-007
Grease Monkey

Post by fto-007 »

yeah i see what you mean its up too $14,000 and counting. 8O still waiting for the pistons and rods to be made. :twisted:
MH999
Mechanic

Post by MH999 »

Wow 14k you can almost do an evo 5+ conversion for that but good luck to you and remember to post pics when your done.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

MH999 wrote:Wow 14k you can almost do an evo 5+ conversion for that but good luck to you and remember to post pics when your done.
WTF is an EVO 5 conversion? 14k sounds cheap to do what I am thinking your saying.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

If you want Forged pistons and Rods, CP Pistons in the states should still have the blueprint from when they made mine.

I sent my stock ones over, they sent over a 8.5:1 set of forgies... love all round.

be prepared to sell a kidney.

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

6 Months revival WOW!!
fto-007
Grease Monkey

Post by fto-007 »

hey cars all finished...ive just sold one kidney :( blew out a bit more than thought...cars getting broken in on the dyno as we speak :twisted: all is going to plan had no real problems other than the computer thought it was a v12 lol just had to modfi the cam sensor.
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

So what are the end specs man?

And how much did it total at?
Taz wrote:When funds allow
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

YES YES more info, pics, vids etc etc
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

I8A4RE wrote:YES YES more info, pics, vids etc etc
Yep agree tell us :twisted:
Shhtuart
Forum Moderator

Post by Shhtuart »

Dyno figures, or it didn't happen ;)
fto-007
Grease Monkey

Post by fto-007 »

well when i started to turbo it i was going to put a small turbo on it i went for a small t28 as i was never going to build the engine...so in the end i end up building it from top to bottom and was keeping the little turbo to run it in on then upgrade to a bigger turbo with extrenal gate with nos later on...so the end result was $22 000 :o it made 170 kw at 12 psi i know not great but with $400 turbo what do you expect lol ill post some pic up later on when i know how to do it :lol: but all in all had no probs all went smooth and with right turbo and tuning should easy push out 400 hp at the engine.