Recent price drop in Japanese cars?

From Ferrari's to Fiats, it happens in here.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Recent price drop in Japanese cars?

Post by -Nighthawk- »

Anyone else noticed the recent price drop on all these Japanese sports cars? The Supra's have dropped about 1-2k on average and same with the Skylines. The FTO's prices are mainly averaging for 6k-8k now also.

I'm tempted to get an aero-top Supra instead of the FTO, simply because the type of FTO I want no one is selling it (at the right price) now
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Re: Recent price drop in Japanese cars?

Post by Delvance »

Yeah i kinda noticed it..

I managed to sell my v35 for a price that i was happy with then proceeded to buy another line with built/bored motor, turbo upgrade/support mods, brakes, sussy and boston system for $8.8k 8O 8O 8O
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

Delvance wrote:Yeah i kinda noticed it..

I managed to sell my v35 for a price that i was happy with then proceeded to buy another line with built/bored motor, turbo upgrade/support mods, brakes, sussy and boston system for $8.8k 8O 8O 8O
And you know at their age most of the sky.lines on the market have now gone through some of these tasty rebuilds :twisted: and cheap too considering some owners have spent about $20,000+ on these builds.
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

There isn't any FTO's on the market that I like for the price, there was 1 for 9k but the bastard upped it to 12k instead :P
I might settle for another car... too bad
Froto.gr
Grease Monkey

Post by Froto.gr »

ya it sucks the price of jap cars going down,over here there going to stop the import of older jap cars soon because of emissions the bas*ards,,
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

:) Surprisingly..actually not. Obviously owning a line i'm on the SAU forums and most cars sold there aren't rebuilt unless you're looking at the top shelf ones and even then...some of them boast low kms (supposedly) and don't have a rebuild.

Buying a rebuild is kinda dangerous...a fair few performance rebuilds fail within 5000kms (sooo many people cop this on sau)...i made sure mine was rebuilt a little while ago hoho.

Cheap..definitely! The previous owner told me he spent 30k+ on the car lol :lol: at least he was happy it was going to a good home hehe.

I think with your jap cars..you can ask/receive a good price IF you know the history of the car, am honest, have some tasty mods, car is neat and you've got a lot of the stuff for it e.g. full set of keys alarm fobs, books, manuals etc. It just attracts the more fussy buyer who will be willing to pay more as they will be quite passionate themselves seeing as they made the effort to seek out a good example. Lots of good factory options will probably help too.

Price going up or down doesn't matter too much to an extent methinks...you get less selling your car however you also spend less buying the next car long as the market is still in the same state.
You also gotta factor in your car is depreciating by the month almost lol...then if it pushes over to the next year then suddenly wham everyone puts +1 year on the age of the car =/
koolio1234 wrote:

And you know at their age most of the sky.lines on the market have now gone through some of these tasty rebuilds :twisted: and cheap too considering some owners have spent about $20,000+ on these builds.
Froto.gr
Grease Monkey

Post by Froto.gr »

but is that not deep way of thinking mate's seeing as general jap cars just aint rebuilds,plus seeing as down fall in enviroment it harder run most all of the imports,not saying your not right withe what your saying just not as many good owners as we like out there,and yes if you import direct/garage kms should be low as it cheaper for japanese to sell car quicker to buy newer it works out some what good for them,but please quote on what i say,
brad_gpx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by brad_gpx »

Delvance wrote::) Surprisingly..actually not. Obviously owning a line i'm on the Soap Box Club forums and most cars sold there aren't rebuilt unless you're looking at the top shelf ones and even then...some of them boast low kms (supposedly) and don't have a rebuild.

Buying a rebuild is kinda dangerous...a fair few performance rebuilds fail within 5000kms (sooo many people cop this on Soap Box Club)...i made sure mine was rebuilt a little while ago hoho.

Cheap..definitely! The previous owner told me he spent 30k+ on the car lol :lol: at least he was happy it was going to a good home hehe.

I think with your jap cars..you can ask/receive a good price IF you know the history of the car, am honest, have some tasty mods, car is neat and you've got a lot of the stuff for it e.g. full set of keys alarm fobs, books, manuals etc. It just attracts the more fussy buyer who will be willing to pay more as they will be quite passionate themselves seeing as they made the effort to seek out a good example. Lots of good factory options will probably help too.

Price going up or down doesn't matter too much to an extent methinks...you get less selling your car however you also spend less buying the next car long as the market is still in the same state.
You also gotta factor in your car is depreciating by the month almost lol...then if it pushes over to the next year then suddenly wham everyone puts +1 year on the age of the car =/
koolio1234 wrote:

you can never expect to make back anywhere near the money you spend on moding a car imo. no matter how much you spend doing up a 1990 skyline it is still a 1990 skyline in the end
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Oh i agree you don't make your mod money back...but you can somewhat make your OCD maintenance money back.. long as you present and sell your car well.
brad_gpx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by brad_gpx »

ah yeh i know what you mean