k&n fliters?

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

aza013
NSW Coordinator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: k&n fliters?

Post by aza013 »

Just get the UAS kit. It has been shown to work a number of times.
custommodz
Grease Monkey

Post by custommodz »

The UAS is horrible though, made of plastic.
Best thing would be to buy one and then get a metal shop to fab one from 3mm aluminium, using it as a template.

I have found a 'why' shaped hose made for the WRX intercooler. My apollo arrives this week and i'm going to made two feeds into one using this hose.
Dan_Fto
Apprentice

Post by Dan_Fto »

custommodz wrote:I have found a 'why' shaped hose made for the WRX intercooler. My apollo arrives this week and i'm going to made two feeds into one using this hose.
Can you keep me updated on that, sounds great i would like to know how it goes.

thanks
Storm
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Storm »

Stick the filter in the bumper and put some holes in it. That way you have direct cold air hitting it all the time.
Life is short - Have an affair
Gholdwayne
Oldtimer

Post by Gholdwayne »

Dan_Fto wrote:All this sounds great, but im not that great at making things, do i have the time.. not really. I would like to do it myself but not sure how i would turn out, and i dont really have the cash to throw at things that might not work.

If anyone knows mabye a proformance shop that could custom build me a cai that would be good, i KNOW this will be the most expensive way to do this, if i can even get it done that way but it will be good to look into it.

Thanks for the help

By the way, i made my own cai with some really thin aluminum sheet from bunnings and cut it with strong scissors. I followed the guide in the DIY under the username koolio1234, but later did a few fixes to it to fully enclose it. it worked for me but if you don't have time, then might as well settle for the k&n but take note of the front piping.
97 GPX Icelle Blue

I cant stop driving her!
...and when im not, im looking at her!
... ...and when im not, im freakin thinking about her!

FTO[For The Orgasm]
like For The Win!, but more hardcore...
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Storm wrote:Stick the filter in the bumper and put some holes in it.
I dont think putting holes in your filter is a good idea lol
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Gholdwayne
Oldtimer

Post by Gholdwayne »

I8A4RE wrote:
Storm wrote:Stick the filter in the bumper and put some holes in it.
I dont think putting holes in your filter is a good idea lol
well, unless if he is talking about putting holes in the heatshield , in which, is also not a good idea... if the filter is going to be sticked to the front, then a heatshield might be redundant, might as well get the normal k&n pod.
97 GPX Icelle Blue

I cant stop driving her!

FTO[For The Orgasm]
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Last bloke I knew that put the filter down in the front bumper was frozenwaffles & he ended up with a Skyline as a result of it... so its bad m'kay :lol: Seized the motor after driving through a puddle & which was enough to write the car off.

Don't try & over complicate your setups. Just get a big pipe down to the area just behind the headlight, whack on any reputable pod filter, then box it. You want half a kilowatt more, add another length of pipe from the front bumper up into the box.

As mentioned, the best pipe to date as far as gains go is the UAS pipe. Primarily because of its smooth 'throttling' design - ie goes from a 4 inch mouth to 3 inch at the throttle body. As the air is compressed into the smaller section of the pipe, it both speeds up & cools down. Working on exactly the same principle as a throttle body itself. Its also the best insulated pipe due to the material thickness.

Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

Bennoz wrote: so its bad m'kay
:lol: mmmmmmmkay kids.
Bennoz wrote:Image
Oh bro, missing a headlight screw.

.... Now ontopic... I really need to grab a UAS pipe
Taz wrote:When funds allow
xj265
Mechanic

Post by xj265 »

maybe, the top of the box uses that screw, it could sumhow...
Dan_Fto
Apprentice

Post by Dan_Fto »

How easy is it to say change the UAS set up, I like the piping but I would like to change the fliter.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Yes indeed, that headlight screw is one of the mount points for the box lid.

And yes, Im not a huge fan of that UAS filter. Whilst its a great product, I dont see the point of having a 3inch filter with reducer on a 4 inch pipe.
Hence I went for a full 4 inch filter on just the UAS pipe for the misses car:

Dan_Fto
Apprentice

Post by Dan_Fto »

That's a very clean engine lol, a that's what I might do, noticeable power gains?
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

It should be clean as it has only done about 26000K's :twisted:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Dan_Fto wrote:That's a very clean engine lol, a that's what I might do, noticeable power gains?
Yep, huge gains (in relative terms.) And as Aza said, this motor has only done about 30,000kms, with a full exhaust & this intake it screams.
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

You need to add Ben that it's not only the motor the hole car has only done low K's lol.
Dan_Fto
Apprentice

Post by Dan_Fto »

Awsome so now i know what im doing thanks for all the help, much appreciated
Gholdwayne
Oldtimer

Post by Gholdwayne »

Stef, if you want the uas pipe, i remember john from uas told me that we will need at least 15 people interested for their source to be willing to produce them again as they are expensive to produce. Hell i paid 200 for the pipe alone, lucky me though, it was the last one in the store.
97 GPX Icelle Blue

I cant stop driving her!

FTO[For The Orgasm]
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

2 Points:

1) I would be boxing that pod, the hot air will cause fluctuations of power eg you will know when the fans turn on lol

2) I dont know why you would spend $200 on piping, Some silicone bends and a piece of S/S tubing will do EXACTLY the same thing if you keep the diameter the same and will be a 1/4 of the price.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

That pic was taken before the box went in. Again, for those of you trying to gain that last ounce of power, I head away from using steel in the system. Retains too much heat.

And yes, I wouldn't want to spend $200 on a bit of pipe (got that one cheap) and yes I know UAS want 15 people before doing a buy - but whats stopping one of you grabbing a UAS pipe & heading down to a local rubber suppier & getting it replicated? I saw the invoice of what UAS pay & even they get ripped off. They were $140 each from the manufacturer to UAS :roll:

Get creative peoples!