Quick handling upgrades?

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

StraydoG
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Quick handling upgrades?

Post by StraydoG »

Hey guys. Im looking at doing a small bit of work on the handling as I have somewhat overlooked it. Nothing major as its not going to be a track car just a better street car.

I brought a set of front & rear Cusco strut braces ($265AU new, a steal!) and the other thing I want is a brake upgrade. I know theres a few options but looking to see whats best in terms of value, ease and performance. Would Legnum/VR4s brakes fit that statement?

Besides the struts and brakes is there much else bang for your buck upgrades? THe car is sitting on 17" mags which has raised the height a fair bit. Although I like the height since it never scrapes anything would lowering affect performance much? Thanks in advance again!
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Re: Quick handling upgrades?

Post by I8A4RE »

Lowering would affect preformance....... In a positive way
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

strut braces, H braces etc
not too expensive
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
StraydoG
Apprentice

Post by StraydoG »

I8A4RE wrote:Lowering would affect preformance....... In a positive way
In terms on handling?

Know why the front is about 25mm higher than the rear?
Was wondering if its lowered should I keep the front slightly higher.

H braces are new to me, are they under the car?
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

re: H braces, yeah they do, generally front and back strut braces should do you just fine, but if you think you need to further stiffen up the chassis, you can put a H brace on, and even one that goes in the middle of the cabin if you are so inclined. :)

The front shouldn't be any higher than the back.... (correct me if I'm wrong guys)
u sure it's not just the body kit making it look that way? (i.e. stock front bar, lower aftermarket rear bar?) or the previous owner just liked the "I have a the body of a dead fat friend in the book" look? - like to point out I'm purely guessing here lol
kiz wrote:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

One of these puppies:

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

StraydoG wrote:In terms on handling?
Yes and as long as you didnt go absolutly stupid lowering it. It will have no negative effect on power.

Know why the front is about 25mm higher than the rear?
Im pretty sure that is normal, IF your measuring the distance from the tyre to the wheel arch.
Was wondering if its lowered should I keep the front slightly higher.
See above, if you measure road clearance, the car should be level with the ground.
H braces are new to me, are they under the car?
I wouldnt worry about H braces yet, but yes they go under the car.

Really what you need to do is work out of low you want to go and then you can start to plan what direction you should go. But by the way your talking I think BENNOZ's world famous setup would work best for you.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

btw ben do you still go on 2 or 3 wheels when you go off a curb? (it was you that said that a while ago right?)
kiz wrote:
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Hey ben, I have never had much belief in those H braces but you have them fitted dont you? Any good?
custommodz
Grease Monkey

Post by custommodz »

Modyourcar.com.au are doing king lowered springs for $135 a set, so $270 for all four.

Change your control arm bushes ($40 front lower front, $70 front lower rear)
Sway bar bushes ($20)
Both from pedders.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

BorepYano wrote:btw ben do you still go on 2 or 3 wheels when you go off a curb? (it was you that said that a while ago right?)
I do, but now with limo diff, it doesn't matter. Always got traction.
I8A4RE wrote:Hey ben, I have never had much belief in those H braces but you have them fitted dont you? Any good?
For my car, yeah it's brilliant. Keeps the front level when you got the foot down... which for me is a good way to not hit the nearest telegraph pole when I take off :lol:
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

:lol:
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Ben, are those Ultra Racing bars steel or alloy?

Cheers.
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

BorepYano wrote:btw ben do you still go on 2 or 3 wheels when you go off a curb? (it was you that said that a while ago right?)
That has happened on every FTO I have owned when I angle steep driveways, its normal.
Taz wrote:When funds allow
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Shane001 wrote:Ben, are those Ultra Racing bars steel or alloy?

Cheers.
They're steel mate :)
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Thanks Ben, was looking at them on eBay. Figured painted white they must be steel but didn't say.

Are they well built? They look like high qual units.
evoman
Grease Monkey

Post by evoman »

Could you describe the improvement that brace has brought to your car in a bit more detail Bennoz?

I'm interested in getting one but I'm not sure if it would provide enough of a noticeable improvement. Do they sit low below the car?
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

Shane001 wrote:Thanks Ben, was looking at them on eBay. Figured painted white they must be steel but didn't say.

they are well made. very popular in south east asia. check out their ng wise.website (Malaysia).

as for handling wise, upgrading to thicker rear sway bar is the best for your bucks.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

zuihoujueding wrote:
Shane001 wrote:Thanks Ben, was looking at them on eBay. Figured painted white they must be steel but didn't say.

they are well made. very popular in south east asia. check out their ng wise.website (Malaysia).

as for handling wise, upgrading to thicker rear sway bar is the best for your bucks.
Yeah, they are pretty well put together. Hand welded as opposed to machine (which I prefer, machines can't judge fuckups & go back over them.)
Also very light too for what they are.
evoman wrote:Could you describe the improvement that brace has brought to your car in a bit more detail Bennoz?

I'm interested in getting one but I'm not sure if it would provide enough of a noticeable improvement. Do they sit low below the car?
Its hard for me to sort of make comprasions with a more standard FTO, as the front end of mine is somewhat heavier than a standard but I'll try.

The main difference I noticed (espcially when giving it a blat up Bells Line of Road the other day) was how flat the car sat.
I already have bigger swaybars, nolethane bushes & Tein NA series struts, and this made the first significant improvement since
I put the Teins in. The level front also made the weight transfer from side to side (through the twisties) not only faster (as the
car didn't have to roll around from left to right or vice versa) but it also made it more predictable. Ie I knew when the weight
was down onto the outside 2 tyres & then knew I could begin to put the foot down out of the corner. So, in a track sense,
that will lead me to be able to break later, get the turn in & weight transfer done quicker, get the foot on the throttle faster
to get out of the corner. So I spose in a sense, its precious milli-seconds.

From a heavily boosted 6A13 point of view, its restricted the terrible chassis twisting I was getting during take off. Now as
opposed to having one wheel off the road, the other wheelspinning, I now have both wheels on the road, spinning :lol:
Hence not heading towards the nearest telegraph pole anymore.
SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

Upgrading to braided steel brake lines are fantastic too. It gives you a much more linear brake feel and it feels like it gives you more brake force too but in reality the lines just arent bulging as much. Although you need to get offically tagged ADR approved ones otherwise they cant really be classified as safe and legal.