LSD?

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

dstocks
National Vice President
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: LSD?

Post by dstocks »

Well, that depends. In my case the answer is definitely yes. I got 12kw at the wheels and 20% better fuel economy. Aza got 17kw atw. It really depends on what other mods you have on the car though. In my case I had full exhaust and intake done. The car is detuned from factory to take the lower RON fuels, so you will definitely get a bit there. The rest is about getting the most out of the other mods you have done. A stock FTO has about 100 kw atw. Mine is now running 133 kw atw.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    SG
    Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

Grue wrote:
    gpx000 wrote:so its similar to traction control?
    sorry Grue the link doesnt work for me.
    Hmmm.... odd. Search YouTube for "Cousin Vinny Expert Witness 3" and it'll pop up.

Yeah, the LSD seems to only be worth the $ if you're got some good power figures, or you're really looking for that extra few fractions of a second.
    Lsds will pic up seconds(!) not fractions of a second on a track they are fantastic. Hold your foot to the floor at any point in a corner and it will pull you around no understeer...

But on the street a cusco MZ type lsd will be anoying as it locks and holds when you accelerate (drag type) unless its modified. Cusco RS will be more forgiving on the street. They are still for sale ex japan afaik, any cusco dealer can get one.

The best LSDs now a days are torque-sensing types. Where they instead of giving equal traction to both wheels on lock /acceleration (1-way) they sense or wind up the torque on the opposite wheel which has the most traction at the moment so giving the car more grip than a ordinary lsd. But those ones are about 3x more expensive.

1-way: Lock on accel
    1.5-way: Lock on accel + half on decell
    2-way: Lock on accel + decell
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Which one of those is the standard version R LSD
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      Bennoz
      National President

Post by Bennoz »

None of them. That list is really only applicable to Cusco diffs.

The vR diff is a Torque Sensing (Torsen) Automatic Torque Biasing Helical LSD.
      The ftooc wrote:if the OS wheel has 3 x the grip of the NS wheel then the OS wheel gets 3 x the power of the NS wheel, as opposed to the clutch type LSD which delivers the same amount of power to both wheels at a predetermined amount of slip between the OS & NS wheels
      dstocks
      National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

So, does that mean the stock vr lsd is better than the cusco ones or just different?
        Shane001
        Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

SG wrote:The best LSDs now a days are torque-sensing types.
        Not correct, it depends on the application.

For general street driving the torque sensing (or torsen) LSD is good for all the reasons you've listed.

For straight line acceleration with high HP, torsen's have a tendency to blow up! Would only be an issue with a high HP turbo FTO though.

For track work the torsen can also be a problem if you ever lift a wheel on a ripple strip. These diffs are more correctly called 'torque multiplying' diffs, and put simply, if one wheel has 0 traction, 0x anything equals 0! Which means both wheels have no traction!

So for higher horsepower or aggressive performance driving, a clutch type LSD (Cusco) is the best option. For ultimate track use a full spool diff center is king (yes even in FWD).
        SG
        Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

Wow didnt know they can blow up :o

I think they are fine in all but the most extreme drag and race situations though i would think Mitsiman of RPW ran a Quaife LSD torsen type in his 11 second magna and around a track aswell he said it was slightly faster and didnt hear that it blew up or anything like that.

Mucho better than street driving on a drag LSD!
        Bennoz
        National President

Post by Bennoz »

The Quaifes are a brilliant unit though. One of the best on the market.

I kinda wish I'd gone for the Cusco RS thou, the MZ is very aggressive. Took me months & months to get the hang of it. So twitchy... if you got no traction (which happens to me quite a lot lol) then you understeer towards the nearest fence. When the traction returns, the car will slingshot itself in the exact direction the wheels are facing. Throttle control is everything, gotta watch myself coming on boost!
        SG
        Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

LOL yeah same here i learnt not to plant my foot after doing a sharp turn...the inside just grabs. If i had to do it all again i would save up and get a quaife it would save some twitchyness and the hair on the top of my head.