FTO manual gear box and LSD info

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FTOgpx96
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

FTO manual gear box and LSD info

Post by FTOgpx96 »

ok guys i done some research now ill share with u my findings

there are 2 types of manual gear boxes in the FTO

F5M421 and the F5M422

now the easiest way to find out which one u have is to either check the box number if u know where it is or drive at 60km/h in 4th gear and check your RPM if its around 2,300rpm its the F5M422 if its at 3,000rpm its the F5M421

now with the F5M421 this was the first gear box install into the FTO with the 6A12 both mivec and non mivec in the GR, GPR and GPX models. now this gear box according to the info i have collected has no LSD diff in it from factory but can be upgraded to have one. though its not really worth it unless u have already done some other gear box work. the F5M421 will take approx 220kw before things start to go pear shaped on you and wear things out much faster than usual.

the F5M422 is a stronger gear box able to take around 350kw. this was the 2nd gear box to be installed into the fto but can only be found in the Mivec versions of the GPR, GPX and limited edition GPX models. the first and second gears are just as aggressive as the F5M421 but the 2nd gear runs out a bit longer and as u go thru the gears u get more speed out of them and better acceleration rate aswell which equal more fun :D

now here is what u need to know if you want to do a F5M422 conversion

this gear box bolts straight up to you 6A12 engine and mounting points and connects straight into your old ecu as they use the same sensors but however u will need to change over your clutch plate and CV shafts when converting from a F5M421

Clutch
your pressure plate u will need to make sure it the correct one to suit your model of engine but as for the clutch plate you will need the one to suit the F5M422, if your having trouble getting a part to suit or need a car to compare it too this gear box is also in the 1992 to 1995 Gallant that should help u get a part number if required

CV shafts
the shafts from the 21 are useless in this case as the spline is too long and too thin. now all u need to do is get the snouts off the CV shafts for that gear box and place them on your old CV shafts. now with the snouts for the new gear box the spline is 10mm approx shorter than the 21 CV splines and have 27 teeth instead of 25 and the diameter of the spline is 28mm where the 21 splines are 26mm, and also note there are 2 different CV shaft styles ABS and NON ABS versions so if your doing a full shaft change over make sure u have the right version

now if u cant find a FTO with the F5M422 gear box in it you can get one out of the 92 to 95 gallant, just make sure u grab the CV snouts coz the cv shafts in that car are too long for the FTO

Hope this info has been helpful to you guys and girls
Stranger : Nice Porche
Me : its not a Porche
Stranger : ah ok what is it a supra?
Me : nope
Stranger : what is it?
Me : its a mitsubishi
Stranger : Bullshit
Me : Check the badge on the front bumper :)
bushido
Oldtimer

Re: FTO manual gear box and LSD info

Post by bushido »

Good info.

I went through all the headache of matching shafts to my gearbox and mysterious LSD.

Ended up buying a new Cusco and getting shafts custom made for it and well a slight sleeving in the gearbox housing to fit it...

Never again :tongue:
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
###########Unofficially the loudest FTO in NSW???##########
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
MH999
Mechanic

Post by MH999 »

Hey nice info but just wondering was the F5M422 fitted to gpx's without an lsd because i tested mine and the revs at 60kmh are at 2300 rpm in 4th.
storm hawk
Grease Monkey

Post by storm hawk »

Great info Found the No. just above clutch slave cylinder toward engine.
What all the other No. mean below main number
F5M4422V7A4
UM1814
FTOgpx96
Grease Monkey

Post by FTOgpx96 »

MH999 wrote:Hey nice info but just wondering was the F5M422 fitted to gpx's without an lsd because i tested mine and the revs at 60kmh are at 2300 rpm in 4th.

yeah just found out today there was an non lsd version too, that one uses the same shafts as the 21
FTOgpx96
Grease Monkey

Post by FTOgpx96 »

storm hawk wrote:Great info Found the No. just above clutch slave cylinder toward engine.
What all the other No. mean below main number
F5M4422V7A4
UM1814

the bottom number is the gearbox unique id number
spency
Mechanic

Post by spency »

I bought a NON LSD 22 off dwayne a few weeks ago and it needs the bigger shafts. Ordering new shafts to go with it. If there a way to get the LSD from my 21 to fit the 22?
FTOgpx96
Grease Monkey

Post by FTOgpx96 »

nope sorry no parts change over as mention the 22 is a slightly larger gear box and also far stronger hence why parts wont change over, and be a bit silly to out weaker parts in a stonger gear box they would get torn to sheads, ifs a non lsd then it would have originally come out of a gallant not an FTO. all 22s fitted in FTOs from the factory had LSDs from factory.

but non the less, LSD or NON LSD its a good upgrade to do, not only power and top speed wise but fuel wise too, ive noticed im getting about 600kms per full tank instead of the usual 500kms, with that please note the fuel im using is the Mobil Synergy 8000 (98 octane)

now as far as an LSD for the 22 goes, speak with david from RPW i think he has them or atleast get them for ya

hope this has helped
spency
Mechanic

Post by spency »

haha, it wasn't a conversion, it was like.... your gearbox is fucked, buy a new one. so i bought this one not knowing it was a 22.

BY THE WAY, after reading this, i promptly sent my mechanic a message and he said the clutch plate would fit into the 22, whether or not it still does when the box is put back in the car, i'm not sure. sh*ts been going wrong quite often lately.
FTOgpx96
Grease Monkey

Post by FTOgpx96 »

lol i was in the same boat, hence why i got the info

i dont mean to be rude but please read my first post properly, i didnt put that info up for no reason, i put it up coz its what i needed to do when i did the 21 to 22 conversion

U WILL NEED to get a new clutch plate coz the spline IS different to the 21 vs the 22, most places only know of the 21 gear box for the FTO and its known as the NON mivec so u have to be very careful when ordering parts and make sure they understand its for the FTO with the MIVEC 22 gear box

the 22 as mention is a bigger and stronger gearbox, which means everything is bigger in size including shafts and splines on the diff and main input shaft which goes to the clutch plate
spency
Mechanic

Post by spency »

well, he said it fit? what am i meant to say, you're wrong, try again?
FTOgpx96
Grease Monkey

Post by FTOgpx96 »

that is up to you, but im telling you what my mechanic had to do, i had to pay for a new clutch when i did the conversion coz the spline on the main input shaft is thicker and has more teeth on the 22 vs the 21

u can get him to try and get it to fit but I'm pretty sure u will find yourself having to pay for a new clutch plate sorry to say

and while he has got the gear box off u might want to get him the replace the rear main oil seal on the crack shaft they can go pretty easy, that part fortunatly is the same on both mivec and non mivec versions so u will be able to get one from your local auto shop rather than waiting for a few weeks for it to come from japan
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

FTOgpx96 wrote:that is up to you, but im telling you what my mechanic had to do, i had to pay for a new clutch when i did the conversion coz the spline on the main input shaft is thicker and has more teeth on the 22 vs the 21
Not being sarcastic or a smart arse but do you have first hand knowledge of this? ie did you physically see the 2 different shafts?

Also the info that all 22 gearboxes came with factory LSD only, where did you get this info from?
FTOgpx96
Grease Monkey

Post by FTOgpx96 »

yes i did see the 2 different shafts, it is how i know this, when i was doing the conversion i doubted what my mechanic was telling me coz i only knew of one gear box in the fto so naturally i went to see things for myself, what good car owner wouldn't.

if this information wasn't accurate i would not have put it up in the first place

the info on this gear box i got directly from mitsubishi's in japan

and not all 22s come with LSD only the ones in the FTOs had lsd, if the 22 comes out of a gallant it doesnt have it
bduffman
Oldtimer

Post by bduffman »

good info is def some thing ill be looking into thanks
FTOgpx96
Grease Monkey

Post by FTOgpx96 »

No problems. Just wish these manufactures would just use all the same parts through all series. Make our lives a lot easier lol
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Would also reduce their cost of manufacture you'd think...
FTOgpx96
Grease Monkey

Post by FTOgpx96 »

nope would increase costs coz of having to go back to them to buy more parts
_sanchez_

Post by _sanchez_ »

hi, what can you say about lsd in automatic transmission? i have f4a42 1 w7a5 gearbox. There is lsd in the gearbox and it needs special driveshafts. i have problem with cv shafts, they are different sizes, anybody knows this sizes?

thanks!
FTOgpx96
Grease Monkey

Post by FTOgpx96 »

im not sure about shaft sizes for the automatic, will ask my mitsi contact today and get back to you, but u can also try and match them up at your local japanese wrecker. Which state do you live in?