What would happen if...?

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Shane001
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

What would happen if...?

Post by Shane001 »

What would happen if I disconnected the water hoses to the throttle body?

The water hoses connect to the 'Fast idle air valve' to which the Idle Speed Control (ISC) servo is connected.

Now from what I can figure reviewing the manuals, the ISC is not controlled by the temperature of the water passing through the fast idle air valve, but by the temperature from the engine coolant temperature sensor.

So if I disconnect these water hoses, will the ISC still operate normally?
But the question is what does the fast idle air valve do then?
payaya
Oldtimer

Re: What would happen if...?

Post by payaya »

why??
Storm
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Storm »

I take it you want the throttle body to stay cooler so you have colder air going into the engine.

Even here in frosty UK the people I know who have done it saw no difference in performance.
Life is short - Have an affair
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Actually 2 reasons, potential heat soak to the intake plenum which over a 1 hour race at constant W.O.T. may make a small difference, I'm also going to try one of the insulator gaskets for the same reason, but also to get rid of some hoses to make working on the engine easier and less of a pita! Taking off a hot intake manifold when you also need to disconnect hot coolant hoses is not a lot of fun :evil:

I agree though I don't expect to see massive performance gains, but every little bit, no matter how small, helps :D
bduffman
Oldtimer

Post by bduffman »

Let me know how you go with the thero gaskets
Might do the same thing down the line are you going to port and powder coat the intake manifold
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

bduffman wrote:Let me know how you go with the thero gaskets
Might do the same thing down the line are you going to port and powder coat the intake manifold
Port yes, but not yet, that'll be later next year, still too many other things to do...