Mufflers

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

iGerman
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Mufflers

Post by iGerman »

Hey guys :D

I want to buy a new muffler for my GR since i dont like the sound of mine. I have got an HKS dragger atm, which was already on it when i got the car. Now i was wondering if anyone knows a good muffler that would give my car a deeper sound and if you know a good exhaust\muffler shop in perth :)

PS: I had a look in the other threads but all of them were about full exhaust systems!
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Re: Mufflers

Post by Delvance »

A deeper sound is a tough ask... the 6a12 engine generally gives off a mid/high tone kinda exhaust note and to be honest, i think that's what a lot of people like while deeper exhaust notes generally being associated with larger cc engines.

The only thing i could think of is getting your exhaust all done in mild steel as mild steel tends to dampen high pitch/tones and gives a more deep/muffled sound. So say full mild steel exhaust system and a large oval rear muffler in mild steel as well (this may be hard to find).
spency
Mechanic

Post by spency »

Straight through pipe
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Any muffler other than a HKS dragger will give it a deeper sound. Lot of people (myself included) are using Magnaflow products. Just steer clear of anything 'canon-esque' and head for a straight through, under car muffler with proper exits welded on. Muffling tips also help.

Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

Just go back to standard imo :)
Taz wrote:When funds allow
iGerman

Post by iGerman »

Thanks for the help :)

I went to a few shops and asked around, so on monday I get a new muffler put in and lets hope it will sound good haha
Gholdwayne
Oldtimer

Post by Gholdwayne »

Lol Ben, you cheated with your dual outlets, 1 to 2 :lol: I used to think your muffler had 2 outlets, each one having its own tip.

iGerman, i do agree with the steer clear of cannon type exhausts, even if I have one on my car :| and if I could go back, I would definitely go with dual 2.5" or 3" outlets, but still of the same brand.

Also, if you end up getting a straight through muffler, that's not going to be sufficient for a deep tone, you need the right resonator(s)... The resonators are very important. I don't think resonators alter the volume substantially, but what I do know is that they alter the actual tone, the sound's frequency. It is the muffler at the tip of the exhaust that usually determines the volume level.
97 GPX Icelle Blue

I cant stop driving her!
...and when im not, im looking at her!
... ...and when im not, im freakin thinking about her!

FTO[For The Orgasm]
like For The Win!, but more hardcore...