FTO `95, NOT GPX, Automatic/Tiptronic problem unknown

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

daburak
jedwabna poszewka promocja

FTO `95, NOT GPX, Automatic/Tiptronic problem unknown

Post by daburak »

Hey, I bought my FTO at the start of 2010. The car runs really well, however sometimes the transmission would act up (once in a blue Moon). Though the past 2months its been happening more often. What happens is, when I start the car the car gets stuck at gear 1, when I change to gear 2 through tiptronic it goes to 2 then drops back to 1. If I go past 4 revs, it makes a bang sound, not like a gun shot but like something dropping. After that sound it stays at 3rd gear even when I come to a full stop. Also the Neutral sign flashs. I took it to my mechanic, he said he couldn't find anything wrong with it. He said bring it to him when the problem is is actually happening. However the problem goes away after the car has cooled down. I've been paying close attention for the past month or so, and I realised that it happens when I speed up quickly and then slow down after it, or if I use tiptronic. So I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, if it is a serious problem, I'll prob convert to manual instead of buying a new auto transmission.
dstocks
National Vice President

Re: FTO `95, NOT GPX, Automatic/Tiptronic problem unknown

Post by dstocks »

Change the oil for starters. Tips are very touch yif you dont use exactly the right sort.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    daburak

Post by daburak »

dstocks wrote:Change the oil for starters. Tips are very touch yif you dont use exactly the right sort.
    So you think, a transmission service might do the trick?
    daburak

Post by daburak »

Is there any other suggestions from others
    I8A4RE
    QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
    Bennoz
    National President

Post by Bennoz »

This ^

First change oil, then check error codes, most common sensor failure is the input & output speed sensors.

If all of the above fails, the next most likely culprit will be the torque converter - box out job.
    millsy
    Grease Monkey

Post by millsy »

i just had this problem, exactly what it was like a few days before my tranny SHAT itself, EVERYONE points the finger at the torque converter, which it still could be (you will be able to get it reconditioned for $170 at any tranny place) or brand new about $300ish, but, mine was the planetry gears, some stuffed up, completely shredded the planetary gears and ring gear around them, huge chuncks flew off and all thoughout the tranny, i think it didnt do too much damage to anything else (possibly got shards in the torque converter, doesnt sound like it but i would think there would be). but either way, mine completely shat itself. and chances are its something INTERNAL, although a new torque converter is probably what u need, but dont install a new one until you check the innards of the tranny, incase there is something floating around in there, which will stuff up your new torque converter anyway, its worth taking out ya tranny yaself, there are some pretty good guides to do so, including the manual conversion ones. just be patient with the process though, its either you do it or pay upwards of $3000 for a $50 bundle of gears.

check ya tranny fluid, mine burnt in the early stages (about the same point as you are at now) and i did a complete fluid change and hours later it burnt it again.
    any questions just ask mate, im about a week ahead of you and have found the problems that you could have. but my car was doing EXACTLY what you are saying for about 2 weeks of extreamly little driving (20ks maybe, but it happened when i thought i will chance it and head to along the great ocean road (so add 40ks). "there's no traffic lights, so i wont need to stop". which sorta worked, until i needed to reverse into my park along by my camp site. thats when i lost 95% of my drive and everything bad happened all at once. couldnt even push it with 3 men while it was in neutral.

look in your tranny box before its too late, best case scenario its the torque converter, $50 2nd hand. and will extend the life of your car gettin another one, so get one anyway, but as your changing it check inside the box, takes 2 mins longer to open it up

good luck, you will probs need it
    millsy
    Grease Monkey

Post by millsy »

EDIT.... urs is a 4speed, just buy a box off one of the fella's. mine is a 5speed off a gpvr, so everything is rare as hell. doubt i will be able to get a 5speed with the lsd like mine has stock, so i will need to clean out my box and hope that the replaced parts will work (everything else seems to be fine, no grit in bearings, expecially after i give it a really thoughour clean). but it will work until i find a 5speed. buy a new box mate, some of the fella's have em for $250 and under.
    daburak

Post by daburak »

Alright cool, thanks very much for your help mate. I'll try to do what you said as soon as possible. I'll let you all know when I have solved the problem. Thanks again everyone.
    daburak

Post by daburak »

Btw I checked the error code. I think its this one.

Automatic transmission - Chassis manual section 23

With a flashing N lamp there are two possibilities of what it could be.

If it flashes at 1Hz, once a second, then it will be either,

Input speed sensor
    Output speed sensor
    Solenoid valve
    Out of phase at shift points
    A/T control relay system.

Because it doesn't flash twice in a second. Its once a second.
    daburak

Post by daburak »

millsy wrote:EDIT.... urs is a 4speed, just buy a box off one of the fella's. mine is a 5speed off a gpvr, so everything is rare as hell. doubt i will be able to get a 5speed with the lsd like mine has stock, so i will need to clean out my box and hope that the replaced parts will work (everything else seems to be fine, no grit in bearings, expecially after i give it a really thoughour clean). but it will work until i find a 5speed. buy a new box mate, some of the fella's have em for $250 and under.
    I'm actually thinking about converting it to a manual. But only if the gear box needs changing. However, I was going to find out the price for conversion later. Would you have a clue by any chance?

Also I wouldn't have a clue in how to install a new gear box. Not much of a mechanic when it comes to vehicles. I wouldn't wanna risk stuffing up the car. How much would the installation cost if I was to replace with a new 4spd gear box?
    millsy
    Grease Monkey

Post by millsy »

Ignore the codes, it only picks up electrical error, torque converters and my problem wasnt electrical, was mechanical, i got one of those output errors when a fuse blown, and when my gear blew i had 3 different codes. Including throtle position sensor. So if you think its mechanical (which im 95% sure it is) then codes are irralivent.