Fitting rims without the "spacer"

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

jeremywe
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Fitting rims without the "spacer"

Post by jeremywe »

Hi guys,

I just fitted my new rims, but on the rear wheels, beacause of rust on the "hub", i couldn't fit the aluminium "spacers" that came with the wheel.

I ended up just putting the rear rims on without those spacers that came with the rims.

You guys know what i'm talking about?

Anyway, is it alright to drive without those spacers? Whats it for anyway? Will it cause any danger or damage?

Cheers
<P><U><FONT color=#800080><A href="http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1888"></A></FONT></U>&nbsp;</P>
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

i've never bothered with spacers and i run 17*8's

haven't had any problems
jeremywe
Apprentice

Post by jeremywe »

Hi smorison...
what kinda spacers you refering to?
Are they the kind of spacers you put whereby it will increase the wheel-base of your car side-wards?

Or the kinds that will restrict the upward, downwards movement of the rim(if not for the bolts) kind?

Mine is the latter.

Cheers.
<P><U><FONT color=#800080><A href="http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1888"></A></FONT></U>&nbsp;</P>
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

you should never use a rim that requires a spacer - period.

the spacer that you've described (to restrict vertical movement) sounds kinda dodgy to me because it implies that the rim has a larger bore diameter so when its fitted onto the hub, the weight of the rim and the car are actually sitting on the studs alone - and to me that is extremely dangerous (because they can snap in no time)
jeremywe
Apprentice

Post by jeremywe »

GPXXX wrote:you should never use a rim that requires a spacer - period.

the spacer that you've described (to restrict vertical movement) sounds kinda dodgy to me because it implies that the rim has a larger bore diameter so when its fitted onto the hub, the weight of the rim and the car are actually sitting on the studs alone - and to me that is extremely dangerous (because they can snap in no time)
Yes, thats right. Thats the kinda spacer i am talking about.

So the conclusion is that the spacers are really important?
When you say snap... what will snap?

Thanks!
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

jeremywe wrote: So the conclusion is that the spacers are really important?
When you say snap... what will snap?

Thanks!

the bolts that the lug nuts sit on...

i didn't even realise you could get spacers that restrict movement...
TheSentry
Grease Monkey

Post by TheSentry »

I had one of my studs snapped when the bloke at the tyre place was putting my new rims on. He somehow managed to get one nut stuck on the stud and it wouldn't budge. Eventually the guy put so much force on trying to undo the nut that he snapped the stud in half.

Not on topic, but it's one of them funny stories. :lol:
It wasn't actually funny when it happened but. I think I was in a state of shock. 8O :D
[img]http://users.bigpond.net.au/sentry/sig.jpg[/img]
Theremin
Grease Monkey

Post by Theremin »

When I got my brakes done they said I should put spacers on. So I drove to the tyre place around the corner (which was a fairly big one) and they said they don't sell them and not to bother with them. So I didn't. Maybe I should?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

jeremywe wrote: Yes, thats right. Thats the kinda spacer i am talking about.

Thanks!
what's CRITICAL for you to understand is that the rim fitment which you have bought do not suit your car for reasons which i have cited above, and you should always avoid spacers of any kind at all costs...
jeremywe
Apprentice

Post by jeremywe »

GPXXX wrote:
jeremywe wrote: Yes, thats right. Thats the kinda spacer i am talking about.

Thanks!
what's CRITICAL for you to understand is that the rim fitment which you have bought do not suit your car for reasons which i have cited above, and you should always avoid spacers of any kind at all costs...
Thanks for the advice...
The rims were actually ordered from nsw, and i'm in qld. The guy i spoke to on the phone said that they'll fit an fto and they've done many...

what do you reckon i do? dont think they'll do anything now... :( sigh...
jeremywe
Apprentice

Post by jeremywe »

smorison wrote:i've never bothered with spacers and i run 17*8's

haven't had any problems
Hi,
are you running your 17" wheels without the spacers i was referring to? Or did you mean another kind of spacers?
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

jeremywe wrote:
smorison wrote:i've never bothered with spacers and i run 17*8's

haven't had any problems
Hi,
are you running your 17" wheels without the spacers i was referring to? Or did you mean another kind of spacers?
never used spacers of any type