Amp and Sub for about $1k

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Guni_GuGu
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Amp and Sub for about $1k

Post by Guni_GuGu »

I'm basically looking for sugestions on a good amp and sub combo, for about $1k.. Can go over a bit, can go under as well, if you think theres no justification in spending the extra $$$...

Basically I play a lot of RnB and hip-hop stuff, I want it to be loud and still tite... I was thinking of a like a 12in dual voice coil sub, in a ported enclosure, connected to a Mono Block..

Some options I've seen are
MTX 12" 5500 series DVC in MTX ported enclousre
and
Coustic 401DB Mono Block amp
about 700 for those 2...

I was also looking at the fusion offering, and that was arround $800, for a 2channel amp, can't remember the model number, and 12in dual voice coil sub...

What do you guys think? I'm leaning a lot more towards the MTX offering, but i'm still open to sugestions, I really havn't looked that hard yet.... I know a sealed encllousre will give a titer sound, but, I want it to be loud still, and so i'm leaning towards ported..

I think 15" are to deep for my likings, and not tite and responsive enough... What about 2 12's? I'm open to suggestions, so please, start the idea's...
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

yeah I'd go for the MTX option... my mate has the same pre-fab'd MTX sub+ported box (from JB) connected to a JL Audio amp (not sure which model) on his Civic and it absolutely thumped my tooth fillings to bits...

however if it was me, i'd go for 2x 12s instead... :twisted:
Blk-Jet
Grease Monkey

Post by Blk-Jet »

How about a Soundstream Dual Voice coil SPL 12" sub?? I've got a new one for sale here for half price.................. :)

Thumpers!
FTOluv
Veteran Mechanic

Post by FTOluv »

i can sell u a PPI Precision Power 2 channel Amp brand new retails for around 1K for $440 and i have 4 brand new PPI presicion Power 12" subs for $160 each.
That is dirt cheap. These subs are the SPL record holding sub in the US. They are an excellent sound quality sub with heaps of bass.
I listen to RnB as well and these subs would be perfect for the sound yr looking for.
U can ask around about them yet i guarantee u wont find a better price on such a quality sub.
Fusion products are good but u would be paying way more for the same quality.
I also have a pair of PPI 6" splits if yr interested for $190.
Guni_GuGu
Grease Monkey

Post by Guni_GuGu »

FTOluv wrote:i can sell u a PPI Precision Power 2 channel Amp brand new retails for around 1K for $440 and i have 4 brand new PPI presicion Power 12" subs for $160 each.
That is dirt cheap. These subs are the SPL record holding sub in the US. They are an excellent sound quality sub with heaps of bass.
I listen to RnB as well and these subs would be perfect for the sound yr looking for.
U can ask around about them yet i guarantee u wont find a better price on such a quality sub.
Fusion products are good but u would be paying way more for the same quality.
I also have a pair of PPI 6" splits if yr interested for $190.
Hmm.. i'll find out a bit more... i'm interested, espically in the subs....
But I havn't heard of ppi before... I'll fiind out soon.
Guni_GuGu
Grease Monkey

Post by Guni_GuGu »

OK I've been looking a bit harder now.... and I've come to this...
What's the advantages of a monoblock? If I get a monoblock, would running 2 dvc 12's half the power output to each? What about just 1 12" dvc, will I be better off with a mono or just a standard 2ch amp?
Anyways here are some amp's I've been looking at:

ROCKFORD FOSGATE POWER 1001BD CLASS D ~$500
What does Class BD mean?

ALPINE MRD-M1000 CLASS D Amp 1800 WATTS AMPLIFIER ~$580
Is this amp huge? in Size?

Phoenix Gold Octane R5.0:1 Mono Block Class D 500W ~$300
I like this one, as I think it's cheap, but still very good to power just a 12" DVC right? Would it be enough to power two 12's though? If I wanted to get two 12's?

Sony Xplod XM-D500X Class-D Sub Amp/Amplifier >$200???
This one, might just end up selling very cheaply... is it worth it though? Looks half decent...

Thanks for any help you guys can provide...
mrdj1234
Grease Monkey

Post by mrdj1234 »

Class D amps are basically digital amps, they use Pulse width modulation of their duty cycle to generate the output signal in digital. This is then converted to analogue sound by a DAC which your speaker is actually part of. They're hugely efficient compared to Class A, B or AB amps which are totally analogue and generate lots of heat.

Class D amps also use switch mode power supplies to ramp up the available voltage levels. They're complex but reliable.

The output circuits of Class D amps are also very hardy, it's hard to blow them. About the biggest problem with Class D amps is that because of the digital frequencies involved in the power sections and in the output, they can become noisy and squeal if they go faulty.

If you're after "true analogue" sound... they're not for you.
FTOluv
Veteran Mechanic

Post by FTOluv »

PPI Precision Power is basically the higher speck of Kicker products. They are what Lexus is to Toyota.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

mrdj1234 wrote:Class D amps are basically digital amps, they use Pulse width modulation of their duty cycle to generate the output signal in digital. This is then converted to analogue sound by a DAC which your speaker is actually part of. They're hugely efficient compared to Class A, B or AB amps which are totally analogue and generate lots of heat.

Class D amps also use switch mode power supplies to ramp up the available voltage levels. They're complex but reliable.

The output circuits of Class D amps are also very hardy, it's hard to blow them. About the biggest problem with Class D amps is that because of the digital frequencies involved in the power sections and in the output, they can become noisy and squeal if they go faulty.

If you're after "true analogue" sound... they're not for you.
i thought class D amps arent digital? They are purely analogue amplifiers?
mrdj1234
Grease Monkey

Post by mrdj1234 »

it's a bit technical, but here's a good run down of amp classes...

http://www.hansenb.pdx.edu/DMKB/dict/di ... %20classes

for audio "purists" though, the only choice is Class A - pure analogue, and the class of amp that you make when using valves (for the laymen, that's a light bulb that went wrong :P)