EOI Roll Center Adjusters for FTO

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Yey or Ney?

Yey
33%
Ney
67%

Total votes: 3

SG
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

EOI Roll Center Adjusters for FTO

Post by SG »

This is an Express of Interest / possibly pending group buy for a set of front roll center adjusters for FTOs. :D They also fit lancers/protons (93 period to 2000 cc/ce lancers n equivilant etc), and fto, and also evo 1-3.

I have been waiting beers n beers for these to be available... :) Hardrace made a set but no one retailed em until i found a uk company that resales em. So here they are... :)

Image below...

They are 180 pounds for 1 set ($288.70), or if we can get 8+ then its 10% off and we pay only $259.85~ each. Thats before vat which we dont pay, so we only pay for postage on top of that also... and thats it.

They fit / replace where your existing ball joint is on your front lower arms to extend motion of travel for that arm when you corner. So your outside wheel stays 'out more' at the bottom when you corner instead of being pulled in & giving the trye more positive lean. So the wheel stays more upright... Thats how i understand it anyway.

They are a standard issue in whiteline gear for evos etc with a bump steer replacement arm and they say they make a difference so we can get them for fto's, lancer etc now... :) It's mainly used after lowering a car.

We just need 8 for 10% off. Or we cans save on postage anyway if we send a bunch to the same address.

Anyone interested in these?

Last edited by SG on Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
spetz
Oldtimer

Re: EOI Roll Center Adjusters for FTO

Post by spetz »

I think you will find that the front swaybar on an FTO links to the shock absorber and not the lower control arm
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

it has nothing to do with sway bar they replace the ball joint ;)
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Hmmm, yeah, thats just a ball joint :?
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

^^

So how do these adjust the roll center exactly? They just look like a straight ball joint replacement to me.
Do you have a link to their website?
SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

They extend ball joint length by about 5-10mm so it changes the angle of the arm etc, and the 'virtual length' of the arm connected from chassis to wheel hub... under cornering. But im not an expert on them, they do heeaps gooood shiit.

They are a replacement ball joint which connects from LCA to wheel hub bottom.

http://www.hardrace.com/products.asp?st ... rClass3=31
Storm
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Storm »

Thats a lot of dosh for what is basically a ball joint with a 5mm longer housing and a ring to put around it.

I hope they are mega fantastic to justify the price :lol:
Life is short - Have an affair
SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

I wouldnt expect/get ya hopes up (too much) but do a google search to see what ppl think of em... little bits make a big difference.
Last edited by SG on Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Something to add to my research list...

Definitely something to consider in principle, when you lower a car you do change the suspension characteristics and can run into lots of problems. Suspension geometry and setup is next on my list to learn :(
SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

Yeah well theres plenty of ways to look at it. I was looking at them a while ago and one guy said to imagine holding a glass (empty glass) at the bottom with two fingers either side and swing it back and forth, then try holding the top with two fingers and see the momentum change, see how the glass swings... then find a place in the middle of the glass most likely towards the bottom where if you swing it back and forth theres no movement in the glass and it doesnt swing or move in your hand.

So thats a pricinpal behind helping reduce natural body roll in a car - when you lower it it wants to roll more. But if you're fitting stiffer springs it cancels that out and you might not notice too much.

But all cars need at least some body roll ...at least some give in the suspension when cornering or if it didnt roll or give anything ..you go over a bump and roll the car over, or just turn in a tight circle and roll the car over. But not so much it reduces cornering ability.. so this reduces body roll a bit to help that.

If you guys dont want any i'll get some and try em out myself n let you know how it goes... should technically notice some oversteer if they work.. i have some chicanes near where i live so should be able to notice that... :) see if the back gets a bit light. But i know they work whiteline wouldnt be selling them if they didnt work...
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

^^ Always good to have a guinea pig ;)
SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

Ok will let you know then... but they should b quite good, have been waiting for em to show up for ages.

You can get them from here if anyone else wants em: http://www.racepartshop.com/contacts/... if they're not listed on their website just send em an email with the part number from hardrace.com.