wiring tweeters????

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

dl_archangel
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

wiring tweeters????

Post by dl_archangel »

n00b - I got passed down my FTO from my uncle. He has placed tweeters on the back tray next to the 6x9's but didn't hook them up. I would take them out but that would leave two screw holes in my back tray so i decided to leave them in.
So was just wondering if it would be ok if i just wired them up to the 6x9's? Or how should i wire them?
If not, if i do take them out is there a way to fill in the screw holes?
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

if the 6x9's are a good quality full-range speaker, you don't really need the tweeters.

If you want to use them, then you'll need to use a crossover so you don't blow 'em (they may already have a capacitor attached to them for this purpose).
MIVEC is My Friend :D
dl_archangel
Apprentice

Post by dl_archangel »

the 6x9's are Kenwoods and are 4-way speakers so i definately don't need them, so how do i go about filling in the holes or something? Or any other alternatives
Foe
Grease Monkey

Post by Foe »

If your using the factory wiring for the fronts. I found that theres wireing for tweeters preinstalled behind the dash vents (where the cloth is either side of the car) wich you can just grab some tweeters from jarcar and hook them up and they go.

Sounds pretty good and brings the stage higher up the front. The tweeters face towards the windsreen but seems to be reflected really well. Worked for me anyhow.
Daz_FTO
Grease Monkey

Post by Daz_FTO »

I have found the frequency response from 3 ways and 4 ways no where near as clear as from purpose built components. Do as ruchi said - grab a crossover and you'll be right. You could remove the tweeters and just bog up the hole neatly with some colour matched filler.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

3 ways 4 ways 6 x 9 are total rubbish! The only reason they are on the market is becuase the average consumer doesnt know squat about car audio, so they believe bigger and more ways is better. Also the other reason is to fill the 6 x 9 holes we have in our cars.

A semi decent set of splits will murder 6 x 9's anyday.
onnzo
Grease Monkey

Post by onnzo »

I was reading the autospeed article re wiring in tweeters and noticed that they removed the capicator from the jaycar tweeters. They believed that there was already a capicitor inline somewhere in the stock lexus wiring that supplied the signal to the stock tweeters.

Does anyone know if the FTO is the same? ie. does it have capicators inline somewhere? I have a stock gr and only the wiring is there, I cant see any capicators.

Mike
onnzo
Grease Monkey

Post by onnzo »

I popped teh $5 jaycar tweeters in today. It sounds lots better - my front jbl coax's have poor treble!

The Jaycar tweeters plug right in! no soldering required! Ill post some pics tomorrow.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

any speaker in the front door will have crappy trebble as it's aimed straight at your knees and not your ears :wink:
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

ruchi wrote:any speaker in the front door will have crappy trebble as it's aimed straight at your knees and not your ears :wink:
Hehehe maybe yours, but i'm sure lots of other owners including myself would disagree their speakers are crappy. 8)
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
DZYRME
Mechanic

Post by DZYRME »

ruchi wrote:any speaker in the front door will have crappy trebble as it's aimed straight at your knees and not your ears :wink:
Not necessarily!! I have Tweeters flush mounted on my door trim, and I have pretty good Treble! :wink: :P
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Are your tweeters down the bottom where the grill is or higher up on your door? (The original reference is to the speakers mounted behind the grill at the bottom of the door).
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Now i'm really lost, cause the original tweeter are on both size of the dash........
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
onnzo
Grease Monkey

Post by onnzo »

Actually - with the stock speakers in the door the treble was so much better then with my JBl co-ax's! possibly even better then it is now - but it distorted a lot...
DZYRME
Mechanic

Post by DZYRME »

ruchi wrote:Are your tweeters down the bottom where the grill is or higher up on your door? (The original reference is to the speakers mounted behind the grill at the bottom of the door).
My Tweeters are mounted higher up on the door. I knew what you intended to say, I was just trying to stir you up! :lol: :lol: :P
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

LOL! :lol: You stirrer!