Larger intake pipes - lose torque down low?

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

evoman
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Larger intake pipes - lose torque down low?

Post by evoman »

More a query purely out of interest more than anything..

Has anyone done a before and after dyno showing torque readout after fitting a larger intake pipe or even a pod filter to an FTO?

I have a before and after power and AFR graph from UAS(and have seen others) showing the UAS pipe is good for more KW's particularly higher in the rev range - so everyone knows that, but I am curious what the torque curve would look like.

I recently sold the UAS pipe off my car to bass_twitch as I am selling my car, and since putting the stock pipe back on I would say the car actually feels BETTER in the low to mid rev range. It seems to have a bit more torque and is noticeably more punchy - something I didn't notice losing when going the other way. Funnily enough, when I put the pod filter on occasionally for a laugh I often thought the same thing after putting the stock box back on. IF anything I would say both the bigger pipe and pod freed up the top end, but lost me a bit of lowdown punch.

Anyone else noticed this before? Of course this is my seat of the pants dyno so yeah...
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Re: Larger intake pipes - lose torque down low?

Post by bass_twitch »

Well since installing your pipe and getting a larger pod, I haven't noticed any major gain down low, but once MIVEC hits in, it seems like it is a bit faster/bit more of a kick.
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

Same filter or did you replace it with a new one?
LED ALL the things.
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

Supplanter wrote:Same filter or did you replace it with a new one?
New.. went from 3" K&N to 4" K&N, so not a true test I guess.. :lol:
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

bass_twitch wrote:
Supplanter wrote:Same filter or did you replace it with a new one?
New.. went from 3" K&N to 4" K&N, so not a true test I guess.. :lol:
Actually after driving it a bit more today I'm going take back what i said before, I feel the car is probably more responsive down low too since the upgrade
BearOnFire
Grease Monkey

Post by BearOnFire »

When i had my UAS did notice lost of low-end torque, city driving for example but around MIVEC range and above the induction sound
is telling you to hold on to that gear just a bit longer ;)
That rectangular section on the standard pipe i feel is a cleaver design.Holds air when ya foot off the accelerator after a good flooring.
Don't recommend smoking but a cheesy test you can do is fill the two pipe with ciggie smoke. UAS didn't hold air as well so keep try to keep the revs up ;)
With the UAS pipe doing 110km/h freeway speed, the engine sat at 3000-3100 RPM.
Standard pipe sat at 3500-3600 RPM.
Drive safe.
A stoke of luck or a gift from god?
The hand of fate or devil claws?
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

I remember an old Dyno day where Aza had the whale penis on and had a couple of runs.
The power/ torque dipped significantly at the mid point (mivec)
Going back to his previous set up the same day, 20 mins later if even, and the torque/ power curve were spot on.

In the end his larger intake did make a substantial difference to how the car ran and delivered it's power.

I believe Aza had it fixed, (correct me if wrong) by having a tune done, as he has a piggy back ECU inline with the factory.
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

The dip was tune related not air intake, but in saying that it's all related :? It just came down to getting every thing working together.