rear speakers cutting out on big bass notes

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

lal
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

rear speakers cutting out on big bass notes

Post by lal »

hi all,
don't know why I've only posted this now.
Since I've had the car, whenever I PUMP IT UP and the bass is quite big, the rear speaker tends to cut out. but when I turn it down.. it copes and it's ok...
when I say I turn it up, it's not even near the full volume capacity.. jsut enough to start the rear window to shake :)

from what I can see, the rear speakers are 6x9 Sony Xplodes...
any idea? I don't have much knowledge on this.. could it be loose wiring? amp not coping? etc.?

thanks for any help
<FONT color=#ff00ff size=2><FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif" color=#ff00ff size=2><FONT size=2><FONT size=2>
<P>&nbsp;</P></FONT></FONT></FONT></FONT>
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

When u said cut out, do u mean its distorted? or it just stop & comes back in again?
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
lal
Grease Monkey

Post by lal »

it actually cuts out and all you can hear at that instance is the front speakers and tweeters.... like you know when you first turn on your stereo and for a split second everything is soft then loud as everything kicks in...

I don't know where to start checking for things?
<FONT color=#ff00ff size=2><FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif" color=#ff00ff size=2><FONT size=2><FONT size=2>
<P>&nbsp;</P></FONT></FONT></FONT></FONT>
FTOluv
Veteran Mechanic

Post by FTOluv »

the Sony Xplode series arent good speakers, but i assume that it would have something to do with yr wiring to yr amp.

other way to solve the problem without having it rewired is to just fade most of the music to the front splits. The rear speakers will be more for just a filler effect.

Music should be mostly hitting u from the front anyway.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

are they both cutting out or just one?

If both, then you need to look at things they share, such as the amp. It is unlikely to be the wiring from the amp to the speakers as they chances of effecting both at the same time is so slim.

Does the amp also drive the front speakers or is this straight off the head unit?

Does the amp have any sort of protection circuitry that might be kicking in?
MIVEC is My Friend :D
RT
Apprentice

Post by RT »

I'm having similar problem too... I don't have an amp at all. In my situation just the left Rear speaker is the one that is distorted when I turn up the volume. At times it goes back to normal.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

sounds like the coil could be partially burnt out and is sticking, the only thing to do would be replace it.
MIVEC is My Friend :D
Daz_FTO
Grease Monkey

Post by Daz_FTO »

Apart from a burnt out coil, i would suggest check all wiring. I had a neat pair of Blaupunkt splits in the front of my commodore, similar deal there was cut outs happening.

My problem was solder. Some people like to solder their terminals to their wires and they dont realise how flimsy those components can be. My problem was my Tandy mate beleived that soldering was the best, so he soldered - using a very hot iron... not more than 3 months along i was getting cutouts and heavy notes and eventually leading to more cutting out throughout the frequency range. It was purely due to hairline fractures on the speaker terminal. I removed his dodgy ol soldered system and wire to the back of the speaker and it worked fine (that was to test it) then i re soldered with a cool iron to the terminal again and it was all fine. You might just have loose connections too - when the base thumps it might just knock a connection temporarily.

The only other thing i can think of - how thick is your earth wire and how well connected is it from your amp?? it could be overloading on power for that wire and just cutting.

Spend a few minutes, check all wires and terminals...if they are fine then look at the equipment.
RT
Apprentice

Post by RT »

I don't know if this was stupid......... I did check the connections and it was alright. So then what I did was took the connection of the Rear Left off and connected into the Front Left connection. The result was I was having the same effect on my Front left Speaker...Could it be the Stereo?
Daz_FTO
Grease Monkey

Post by Daz_FTO »

is the earth to your head unit placed on a good bit of metal? does the whole unit display turn off at the same time as the cut out of sound? if not i would guess that the unit is dodgy. Make sure you check all the power leads to your head unit though.
RT
Apprentice

Post by RT »

Yeah I've checked all the wiring....its all good...even the earth. I reconnected everything just to make sure if there was any loose wiring. But its the same.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

its proable the source power, either headunit or external amp cant handle the extra output of current and goes into protection.