Fender bar fitted

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

SG
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Fender bar fitted

Post by SG »

I bought this a while ago to fit up but it is for a CE lancer and i knew it would need welding/take some modding to fit, so finally last weekend on sunday i found some time and fitted it up!

See pics below... We ended up grinding off the bit with the two bolts on it (not where it hinges to the door they fit perfect) which was facing straight up, and welded it back on to its side with a little bit shaved off each side. (turned it 90deg from the top end of the bar)

It came with the bolts so we bolted it on and not welded it on - seen one with it welded onto an fto. Done the trick (must have) but we decided to bolt it on. And the results are great! Heaps more feedback going through chicanes feels more sensitive/responsive and a bit more strength overall.. Feels like an extended front strut brace actually.

Anyway worth its weight i reckon, in steel. :)

Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Re: Fender bar fitted

Post by Astron_Boy »

Nice work.
Always been curious about those things as I see them on eBay heaps along with the strut braces.

Does the car feel any different (Have you been able to really test it yet?)
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Astron_Boy wrote:Nice work.
Always been curious about those things as I see them on eBay heaps along with the strut braces.

Does the car feel any different (Have you been able to really test it yet?)
Ummm ....
SG wrote:And the results are great! Heaps more feedback going through chicanes feels more sensitive/responsive and a bit more strength overall.. Feels like an extended front strut brace actually.
:oops:
I just had to add it ......
sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
:utbnb:
SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

It feels different through chicanes i wasnt too sure before that though regulary turning corners. Feels like i can turn regular corners a lot faster though just feels a bit flatter/stiffer.. Bit like a strut brace.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

haha, blonde moment.

Good to hear.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

SG, do you ever get out to the track at all?

I'd be interested to hear from someone who has done back to back comparisons on a track with something like this.
ie spend a day at the track.
First couple of sessions without the bar installed to get up to speed.
Then a timed session without the bar attached, flat out.
Then a timed session with the bar attached, flat out.
Then a timed session without the bar attached again, flat out.

Looking at this bar I'm just dubious that this could have any real benefit. I just can't see that there is going to be any flex along the plane of where this bar is attached, but the only way to know for sure it to test it back to back as above.
SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

Well the evo has a standard support brace going along there from 7 and up i think (?) and guys who attach aftermarket ones say they make a difference. Here is a pic:

I realise ftos already have a stiff chassis along there but there is no diagonal piece to triangluate it down to the floor pan. So that was the reason why i made the decision to fit it up. Plus i did notice a difference after fitting it. There is much more feedback to the steering wheel much more confidence in chicanes about where the nose is and how the car will react if i turn in sharper, and harder...what the car will do.

It is a known weakspot on cars from what ive seen and read about them. Civic owners say they cant even close the door properly if they jack up the front of the car because of the amount of flex there. And after fitting it no problem. :)

I do track my car but to test like that i'd also have to take off the guards which is a pain and put them back on during runs. I think you could get some results that way but also if i notice the car is oversteery now i am more likely to tune the back of the car now to compensate for that. And so results would be affected by improper car balance aswell. So i'd have to tune & untune the back aswell as unfitting & refitting the braces and guards. Which is a bit of a pain. I know it feels tighter and more responsive so im happy whether it gives more grip or not. Strut braces usually do so im sure this will. And i may have to tune the rear suspension (lower it down a little) if there is too much turn in now. I havent had a chance to fully test it yet on the limit.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

haha, yeah you'd have to run it without the guards for the day ;)
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Why did you use the 2 point and not the 3 point fender bar??

Nice work ;)
SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

Shane001 wrote:haha, yeah you'd have to run it without the guards for the day ;)
I think thats a health hazard!

The 2 point one is lighter and just in case i needed to move it a bit to fit the other end in that gap. But it didnt need too much movement. Thanks :)
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

you might have just found the missing link to fto cornering speed!!!