Legnum VR4 What to look out for

From Ferrari's to Fiats, it happens in here.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Miv3c
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Legnum VR4 What to look out for

Post by Miv3c »

hi im considering buying a legnum VR4 in tip tronic due to my price range after having to sell my fto yesterday due to crank seal oil leaks and probally 150k plus kms

other then the gearbox what is there to look out for such as common fault with this vehicle
Bennoz
National President

Re: Legnum VR4 What to look out for

Post by Bennoz »

Crank oil seals? :lol: You do realise its the same block thats in them?

Head on over to ozvr4.com, plenty of helpful folk over there ;)
Miv3c
Apprentice

Post by Miv3c »

yeah i plan to look at this next car thoroughly cause i brought my fto on impulse however it will still a good gpx just apart from it painting the road everytime i parked it
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

I owned one for a couple of years. Wave spring in the gearbox if it breaks (and they do) will cost you between 3 and 5K to fix. If you can find one which has already been replaced it will give you more peace of mind.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    Miv3c
    Apprentice

Post by Miv3c »

hell would be cheaper to put a second hand gearbox in haha

what are the signs of them breaking also did the one you had break or did you have it replaced before it broke
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

It broke and the car had less than 100K on it. Should have been a recall for all VR4s, but they never did. Cost me 5K. Problem is there are 3 different gearboxes. I had a 2002 model and mine was the 3rd variant and rarest of course. If you didnt get the exact same model when replacing, you had to swap over the ECU as well, otherwise, gearbox would go into limp mode every 300km. Halfcut would have been cheaper. Problem is, the wavespring in the replacement could have gone 100km after transplant and I would have been in exactly the same place as before. In the end, I didnt want to have to deal with it that in the back of my head, so got it rebuit.
    Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you