Uprated Torque Converter - anyone on here done this?

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Rob Furniss
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Uprated Torque Converter - anyone on here done this?

Post by Rob Furniss »

Just wondering if anyone has had their Torque Converter modified for a higher stall speed (or any other changes) and what the results were?

I'm interested to know what has or could possibly be done to reduce the losses or generally improve performance, for instance I know you can't launch too hard due to the stall speed, don't think I could ever launch above about 2500rpm.
Am I right in thinking though that too high a stall speed and at low revs it would be like a slipping clutch so hinder performance?

Eurospec in the UK had an uprated one for sale a while back but don't know what it was like on the car.
Bennoz
National President

Re: Uprated Torque Converter - anyone on here done this?

Post by Bennoz »

No ones done it here mate. I dont know why not, so many people here with slush boxes that have busted TC's before.

That & the fact that drag racing is so popular here, every V8 at the strip will have a big Turbo 400 Auto box with bang shifter in it...
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

I've seen a few companies offering to modify auto boxes for the V8 boys so that got me thinking about ours.
If I end up with a 'slush box' this might be something that I look into (after supercharging).
Was told by someone about a torque limit on the auto box (not by design just not designed to handle it), something like above 180lb/ft and it won't transfer it just hits a limit so if you push more than 180 you will just see a flat torque line at that.

There's certainly more tranny places here than in the UK.
Valandis91
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Valandis91 »

the tip box i bought had a anodised blue torque converter....

All the other pics ive seen have had the same silver torque converter.

Didn't reallly think much of it at the time, should've looked into it more and taken some pics!
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Found an interesting article here if anyone fancies a read: http://www.circletrack.com/techarticles ... ewall.html

It's mainly about circle racing but does seem to indicate that the efficiency can be improved.