Car audio system

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

ruchi
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by ruchi »

TimmyD you're on the right track, but this is more of a general statement than a definitive one.

It is far easier to reproduce and maintain the quality of a digital source, such as a CD. But once the signal is converted to analogue it is much harder to maintain this quality, with the biggest issues being the introduction of noise and the diminishment of both frequency range and dynamic range.

There won't be as big a difference between head units are they are primarily working with digital signals, whereas amps and speakers are working with analogue signals and there can be quite a difference between those built will higher quality components and those with cheaper ones.

Technically there are differences in the sampling quality of digital items and likewise the quality of the digital to analogue converter (DAC) but there shouldn't be any need for us to get that detailed (unless you want to :D).

Remember however, that regardless of how good your equipment is, like with any form of system, it will only be as good as the weakest / poorest quality item.

Many people also buy on looks and features and not just sound quality.
MIVEC is My Friend :D
fto617
Veteran Mechanic

Post by fto617 »

guys i thought i got a bargain coz they sell for $8000HK from sony directs in HK
and i bought it off this other place which dont provide warranty for 980
its a great cd/mp3 player
its TFT screen and u can upload pics into the deck
i saw them selling in aus for $3999Au that why i bought it
man u guys make me feel so bad !!! i thought it was top of the range???
http://www.sony.com.au/xplod/catalog/pr ... ,MENUITEM2
it said it has all these features :
Key features

SSIR-EXA Digital Synthesiser Tuner
CDR/RW Playback
Playback MP3s recorded to CD
CD-Text Display/Scroll
Preset Tuner FM18/MW6/LW6
BTM - Best Tuning Memory
RDS/EON
DSO2 - Dynamic Soundstage Organiser
EQ7 - Seven Band Equaliser/Seven Modes
Bass/Treble Control
Loudness
CD Changer Control
MD Changer Control
Motorised Slide-Out Front Panel
32,000 Full Colour TFT Display
Variable/On/Off Dimmer Adjust
Personal Security Coding
RM-X132 Card Remote (Optional
did i get gypt again? i'm not a mechanic nor a sound enthusiats i just like fto and i like nice color in my car :(
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Hmmm apart from the little TFT screen, all the other features are pretty much standard for the $800-$900 price range. Even some of the lower range model have all those features as well.

You left out the most important info, how many RCA input & output it got, & how many Bit processor.

But like ruchi said, as long as you are happy with it, who cares if you got gypt, its your money & you can spend it anyway you like :wink:
Last edited by FTO338 on Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

the features for that price are alright
yeh how many output?? i would assume it has out put for speakers n sub (coz its very pricey).

but $4000 for a headunit in aus? u can get indash lcd screens for that price!!

juz becareful with a headunit like that, it attracts a lot of bad guys !!
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

oh yeh i got a $70 headunit that can play radio, mp3, cdrw, displays id3 tag, bass/treble control, loud function, detachable face..., it only had one set of output, but with a bit of modifying to it, its got outputs for my speakers n sub.

i reckon its better than my $1000 kenwood double din headunit!!! i couldnt control the bass, it wasnt detachable face, and wasnt mp3!!!! The SQ is the same... but now i can get serious doosh doosh with those extra functions...

so even if its expensive and is a 'good' brand, it doesnt mean its the best... just make sure it has what you want!!
deadpool

Post by deadpool »

Well as I have mentioned in a previous post I fix Sony car audio and others brands and I doubt you can hear differences between the sound quality of head units, as their sound quality if any is compromised by electrically noisy displays and poorly regulated internal supply rails, compared to good quality home Hi Fi systems. Not to mention the overly compressed MP3 format, I mean if it was my money I would spend it on the external amplifiers, quality speakers and wiring... :D

and sound proofing!!! as the American Hi-End Hi-Fi manufacturer Mark Levinson said to the Lexus engineers when installing their great car audio system "how much soundproofing can we have?" the reply thankfully was "as much as you want!" so 30kilos later...
ANBU_fto
Mechanic

Post by ANBU_fto »

everyone is saying that sony, is well not that good..... :? well then what about there speakers???
because my fto came with 4 6X9's in them....
should i change them to something else??? :?:
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

why change the speakers for? im sure the sony are better than the stock speakers.

dont change it coz everyone says it sucks, u should change it if u feel u need to, coz the SQ is sh*t, or its crackin, or its fxxkd etc etc
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Most of the Sony stuff isn't crap, but yes, you can buy better. If you've got Sony stuff and you're happy with it, stick with it.
MIVEC is My Friend :D
ANBU_fto
Mechanic

Post by ANBU_fto »

thanks i guess ill stick with them....
well its better than nothing or the stock ones... :wink: