Emanage blue vs ultimate

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Rob Furniss
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Emanage blue vs ultimate

Post by Rob Furniss »

I had a blue on my previous car that I installed and initially setup myself and I will shortly be on the lookout for another but wondering if the ultimate would be better or if anyone has had any issues with them or has any other comments good or bad?
Is it possible to get a better tune from an ultimate compared to the blue?

Forgot to mention - will be using for forced induction.

Cheers

Rob
Bennoz
National President

Re: Emanage blue vs ultimate

Post by Bennoz »

I'd go a Haltech to be honest. There is exactly zero support for anything emanage out here...
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

I had heard good things about the Haltechs from you guys when I was back in the UK, just thinking about the cost with the emanage being cheaper.

Also aware that if I skimp on emu then I may end up spending more in the long run but I know the emanage blue pretty well and i'm fine setting up a base map (in fact already have a few) and then doing little tweaks, just need a tuner to then fine tune the ignition timing as I don't have any knock detection kit - Can't someone like RPW do this or do the tuners only touch certain brands of ecu?

Does the Haltech just work better and is it possible to gain more power from one vs an emanage?
Last edited by Rob Furniss on Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Sorry to hijack...
But does someone know if I already have a normal E-manage wired in, will the ultimate plug into the old harness or is it a whole new wiring job?

Thanks
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

My understanding is the main harness is the same but the ultimate has additional ones.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Depends what you want to do with it.

The eManage Ultimate is a more advanced piggy back than the Haltech Interceptor. The eMu actually intercepts and can therefore directly tune fuel & spark, whereas the Haltech only intercepts the MAF/AFM & crank angle sensors, changing these values essentially tricking the ECU into running at a different point of it's built in map, so it's limited in how far you can adjust fuel or spark, and adjusting either generally adjusts the other also.

If your going turbo you're probably better off going full ECU though rather than piggy back, in which case the Haltech range will generally have better support in Aus, from memory RPW can probably help here.

Also the FTO 6A12 Mivec is not a supported configuration on the eManage Ultimate, so getting it to work is a pita!
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

I may just go with a blue then as i've already been there.

Plan is to supercharge it and run about 8psi with a little ignition advance (only 1-2 degrees so will need the ignition harness too) or maybe a little more later with meth injection (if that's not illegal here?)
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Emanage blue vs ultimate

Post by bass_twitch »

Rob Furniss wrote:I may just go with a blue then as i've already been there.

Plan is to supercharge it and run about 8psi with a little ignition advance (only 1-2 degrees so will need the ignition harness too) or maybe a little more later with meth injection (if that's not illegal here?)
Everything's illegal here,
Do it anyway. Just don't get caught.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

bass_twitch wrote:
Rob Furniss wrote:I may just go with a blue then as i've already been there.

Everything's illegal here,
:lol:
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

:lol:
Seriously though is it possible to get meth injection mod approved by an engineer if I do get caught?
d_dan
Grease Monkey

Post by d_dan »

OT. ROB! Did you manage to run the mivec on the blue
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Rob Furniss wrote::lol:
Seriously though is it possible to get meth injection mod approved by an engineer if I do get caught?
I doubt it. I got nos & thats a 10 grand fine if I get caught with it on the street. I live by this:
bass_twitch wrote:Everything's illegal here,
:D :lol:
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Bennoz wrote:
Rob Furniss wrote::lol:
I doubt it. I got nos & thats a 10 grand fine if I get caught with it on the street. I live by this:
bass_twitch wrote:Everything's illegal here,
:D :lol:
Holy sh*t seriously?
Think I may have to start living by your code then and hope for the best.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

d_dan wrote:OT. ROB! Did you manage to run the mivec on the blue
What to control the mivec? No although I heard it may be possible with some frigging around.

I had an R-spec controller and it didn't seem to make much/any difference to performance unless I didn't mess with it enough.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Shane001 wrote:Depends what you want to do with it.

The eManage Ultimate is a more advanced piggy back than the Haltech Interceptor. The eMu actually intercepts and can therefore directly tune fuel & spark, whereas the Haltech only intercepts the MAF/AFM & crank angle sensors, changing these values essentially tricking the ECU into running at a different point of it's built in map, so it's limited in how far you can adjust fuel or spark, and adjusting either generally adjusts the other also.

If your going turbo you're probably better off going full ECU though rather than piggy back, in which case the Haltech range will generally have better support in Aus, from memory RPW can probably help here.

Also the FTO 6A12 Mivec is not a supported configuration on the eManage Ultimate, so getting it to work is a pita!
Hi Shane, you say it's a pita but has it been done and do you know what's involved to get it working?
Cheers,
Rob
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

Haltech. Seriously, you won't regret it!
Taz wrote:When funds allow
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Rob Furniss wrote: Hi Shane, you say it's a pita but has it been done and do you know what's involved to get it working?
Cheers,
Rob
Yep, a few people have done it including me but I don't think anyone's actually got it working fully.

I am seeing gains from it though and sticking with it as I see it has a lot more potential than anything else, just needs more tweaking and fine tuning. And I don't want to go to the expense of full ecu.

If you're going down this route expect to have to learn a lot yourself to get it to work. Especially if you're going to throw forced induction into the mix.

Quite seriously, I think you would be foolish to go piggy back with forced induction. You're just asking for constant problems. Better to go full ecu from someone who knows the ecu you choose inside out.

Also, the Ultimate can control Mivec. I've done a basic test on the dyno and could not see any benefit changing the cut in point, but I didn't spend much time on it. I have the Ultimate kicking mivec in at 5400rpm.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Shane001 wrote:
Rob Furniss wrote: Hi Shane, you say it's a pita but has it been done and do you know what's involved to get it working?
Cheers,
Rob
Yep, a few people have done it including me but I don't think anyone's actually got it working fully.

I am seeing gains from it though and sticking with it as I see it has a lot more potential than anything else, just needs more tweaking and fine tuning. And I don't want to go to the expense of full ecu.

If you're going down this route expect to have to learn a lot yourself to get it to work. Especially if you're going to throw forced induction into the mix.

Quite seriously, I think you would be foolish to go piggy back with forced induction. You're just asking for constant problems. Better to go full ecu from someone who knows the ecu you choose inside out.

Also, the Ultimate can control Mivec. I've done a basic test on the dyno and could not see any benefit changing the cut in point, but I didn't spend much time on it. I have the Ultimate kicking mivec in at 5400rpm.
Thanks Shane, interesting to hear your findings.
I'm only going for low boost and on a low budget so full ecu is out of the question, I didn't have any problems on my previous supercharged FTO with the emanage blue so I may stick with what I know. I didn't get any benefit from changing the Mivec point either.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Yeah I think you're better to stick with what you know works.

Does the eManage Blue have built in support for the 6A12 Mivec?
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Shane001 wrote:Yeah I think you're better to stick with what you know works.

Does the eManage Blue have built in support for the 6A12 Mivec?
No but it's an easy enough fudge
In the ultimate you select the engine code 6A12 but the airflow meter is auto set to Karman which is the GR MAF type I think and pressure sensor MT_KR-2.

Well in the blue there's no engine code to select just meter type TY_PR-1 I think which I think it gets from the main unit (I think I set a couple of dip switches but could confirm if anyone needs to know for sure). So yeah you basically tell it you've got a toyota I think from memory.

Not sure if you can get it to control the mivec switch over but i'm not bothered about that as I didn't see any gains with the R-spec controller anyway.