Robs new project Supercharger

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

bass_twitch
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Robs new project Supercharger

Post by bass_twitch »

Rob Furniss wrote:
PHIL069 wrote:You may have mentioned it in the last 11 pages somewhere, but would a engine top end rebuild or ECU upgrade have to be done to accommodate this possible future product of an awesome supercharger?
What do you think would be the ball park sell price for this engineered super marvel?
Like Astron_Boy I am watching with anticipation. :cyclopsani:
Engine doesn't have to be opened up at all.
It does require a non-stock ECU, something like a Haltech or a greddy emanage (blue is fine and what i'm using) it doesn't have to be standalone engine management a piggy back is fine.
I haven't costed it yet, will see if I can come up with an estimate later but as a guess I would say less than 3K including ECU.
Mad!!! :) :)
*keeps watching*
Also, +1 on the make copies of the brackets etc..
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

I have some fuel injectors on the way from the US - CDH275 (275cc).
Cost me $77 for all 6 (used) and that's including delivery.

Picking up a 6PK1365 belt later, I had bought a 1350 but it's just too small - not a complete waste though as when I fit a 10-15mm smaller diameter pulley to the charger to increase boost it should be about right.

I think that's pretty much it for parts now, I just need to get on with fitting it.
clint111
Grease Monkey

Post by clint111 »

Rob, quick question.
275's definately enough?
I have a set of 390's, and will not be supercharging at the moment.
If it's of benefit to you, a swap could be arranged.
Let me know if you're interested.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

clint111 wrote:Rob, quick question.
275's definately enough?
I have a set of 390's, and will not be supercharging at the moment.
If it's of benefit to you, a swap could be arranged.
Let me know if you're interested.
Thanks Clint, 275's were ok on the last build and should be ok for the power that i'm chasing (I think I was at around 70-75% duty cycle).
I tried 390's on the previous build and they were a bit overkill and caused me overfuelling issues on cold start - not all the time but enough to put me off.
With the emanage blue EMU that i'm using there's no way to override the cold start map (that i'm aware of), you tell it what size you had in before and what you have now and it trims automatically for you, then you add fuel into the map for on boost situations but it can only do this trimming up to a point so not really good for putting in vastly different sized injectors.
Cheers for the offer though.
clint111
Grease Monkey

Post by clint111 »

No prob.
I think my Link G4 Xtreme has a touch more scope for finetuning!
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

clint111 wrote:No prob.
I think my Link G4 Xtreme has a touch more scope for finetuning!
I'm sure, I was quite surprised that I hit that problem with the emanage, it worked well apart from that though.
Get what you pay for I suppose.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Nothing much has changed to be honest, been really busy with work and i'm off on hols in less than 2 weeks so won't get much done until I get back.
This came today though (thanks dstocks):

It's a Mitsi diagnostic connector for the stepper motor, I've bought this as my throttle body will be in a different location to normal (only slightly) so I need to extend the connector loom a bit. I could have just cut the wires and resoldered new ones in but this is plug-and-play.

My Nokia pop-port CA42 cable has arrived too so I can turn that into an emanage-to-laptop cable by chopping the phone end off and soldering a usb connector to it (fingers crossed, I will be following a how-to).
This means that I can then wire the emanage in as it's used and I want to reset everything once installed, I have everything ready to go once this data cable is done so really I may make a bit of progress despite what I said earlier.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Couldn't get my home made emanage cable to work so i've bought one from giff-tech in the UK and it's just arrived. Connected it up and my laptop can now talk to the emanage.
Only problem is my wiring isn't good as the power was a bit flickery so I need to revisit that before I do anything else.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

:(
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Astron_Boy wrote::(
Ha ha it's not all bad, it's just some bad connections as I didn't solder them I used those crappy quick connector things and they are so so crap.
I was thinking the emanage was duff but it's not as i've communicated with it and updated the firmware to 1.49 :)

And I can't solder to save my life, I can just about manage it on a bench but no way with my head in the passenger footwell and my ass in the air.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Rob Furniss wrote:I can just about manage it on a bench but no way with my head in the passenger footwell and my ass in the air.
:cheeky:
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Astron_Boy wrote:
Rob Furniss wrote:I can just about manage it on a bench but no way with my head in the passenger footwell and my ass in the air.
:cheeky:
Thats what she said :P
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
Connor_1994
Mechanic

Post by Connor_1994 »

So if you were to supercharge a mivec engine would you then need to forge all the internals and essentially do a rebuild?

Thinking i may supercharge my little beast lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Connor_1994 wrote:So if you were to supercharge a mivec engine would you then need to forge all the internals and essentially do a rebuild?

No need to take the engine apart if you want to stay low boost unless you have something wrong with it.
I won't be replacing parts with forged items or even lower the compression ratio, i'm aiming for 8-9psi boost with crossed fingers that nothing blows, I reckon that any more than that and you need to lower the comp and have forged internals.
I've previously ran 7-8psi (my gauge wasn't precise enough) and dazzjb in the UK is now up to 8psi.
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Connor_1994 wrote:So if you were to supercharge a mivec engine would you then need to forge all the internals and essentially do a rebuild?

Not as simple as it sounds, and would cost anybody else a TONNE of money, as they will be paying someone else to make up all custom sh*t.
a 13TT or even a 4g conversion would be cheaper overall. Hell, probably be cheaper to drop a factory supercharged corolla engine in or something
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

Bump, how are things going with this?
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Sorry guys hadn't touched it since going back to the uk but i'm back on it now (the car that is).
Just had a bung welded in the exhaust yesterday for the aem wideband so I can crack on again and finally get this finished.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Hooray! :lol:
Want to see this going already. 8)
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Got the front exhaust pipe back on and fitted the aem wideband and gauge which is all working as it should. I wanted this on first before I even plug the emanage in so I can keep an eye on things.
I need to go back over my emanage wiring now as I have some bad wiring connections to sort out then onto test fitting the charger.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Emanage wiring is all sorted now and working ok, done a map trace etc (still not supercharged of course) and all is good.
I've been fettling the brackets a little as the bolt holes wern't quite right but now much better, had the charger mounted and closed the bonnet (sorry - hood) successfully although tight and I haven't removed any supports or raised the bonnet yet (think I may just raise the rear and see if I have any catching issues when the engine moves).
Just a few little jobs to finish off then I can get it running.