Robs new project Supercharger

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Rob Furniss
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Robs new project SC

Post by Rob Furniss »

Thanks guys will check that.
I know quite a few people in the UK with manuals that keep having issues with the belt jumping off but never heard of it on an auto - why it would be different I don't know unless it's just coincidence.
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Robs new project SC

Post by bass_twitch »

Bennoz wrote:I'd be more inclined to say it used to be a 6 rib, but one of them has shredded off. Has happened to me many times. Just double check your crank & cam angle sensor wiring when you do swap it out..
+1 that happened on my old belt also..
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

bass_twitch wrote:
Bennoz wrote:I'd be more inclined to say it used to be a 6 rib, but one of them has shredded off. Has happened to me many times. Just double check your crank & cam angle sensor wiring when you do swap it out..
+1 that happened on my old belt also..
It was that and it was still there dangling down, all sorted now.
renzkuken1
Veteran Mechanic

Post by renzkuken1 »

Rob mate, looking forward to your SC guide.
If you go alright with doing it i'll do it on mine. :)
Good luck mate.

Chris
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

renzkuken1 wrote:Rob mate, looking forward to your SC guide.
Good luck mate.

Chris
Thanks Chris,
I've already done it once on my previous FTO so should be easier and quicker to get done this time around. :)
renzkuken1
Veteran Mechanic

Post by renzkuken1 »

Rob Furniss wrote:
renzkuken1 wrote:Rob mate, looking forward to your SC guide.
Good luck mate.

Chris
Thanks Chris,
I've already done it once on my previous FTO so should be easier and quicker to get done this time around. :)

In that case...Let's get the party started ;)
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Finally organised shipping of my parts from the UK so the supercharger, charger intake, and custom double alternator pulley are now on their way!
Should arrive next week and I will then know if the standard mini charger intake will do (fits between charger and throttle body), if not I will have to have something fabricated as the inlet to the charger is an oval shape but i'm hoping it will all work out as it's much better to use an oem part that's cheap and readily available.
Will post some pics up when they arrive.

BTW air freight cost me £90 ($135) for a 22KG box (I had some other stuff of my daughters too that she had left at her grandparents - this accounted for over half the weight).
That sound like a reasonable price?
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Robs new project SC

Post by bass_twitch »

Yes,
So how much all up for those parts?
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Well there's a lot more to get yet but so far:
Supercharger £130
Custom double pulley £60 (I used the guy before so he already had the design otherwise would have had it made in WA)
Intake pipe £30 I think
so a total of £220 - roughly $330 + my shipping costs which would have been about $90 if I wasn't sending the other stuff of my daughters.

I still need:
Larger injectors (CDH-275 - they are 275cc ones, yellow)
Emanage blue + harnesses and 3 bar map sensor
Alta V2 pulley for the supercharger (smaller for more boost, if I want to go even smaller I can get them custom made to fit the alta clamp - already done that previously)
Some idler pulleys
Bypass valve (bit like a recirculating bov works on vac)
Need to purchase some ally plate to make two brackets
Also a spare plenum from dstocks to cut down
Charge cooler (could be one of the most expensive bits as I also need it weldoing to the cut down plenum) plus a small rad and pump.
Or I could just go with a front mount IC but then the pipework to it is just as expensive as a charge cooler plus I have to pressurise all that pipe work before i'm making boost which is why I want to integrate a charge cooler into the plenum to keep it all short.

Then a few other bits like UEGO wideband O2 sensor (probably get an AEM one again)
Boost gauge
Should probably get an oil pressure gauge too
Oil cooler for transmission (can fit any time)
Engine mounts (polly or manual standard ones may be ok)
I may upgrade the fuel pump but last time it wasn't running lean before I upgraded but it may just be a wise safety investment anyway.

All in all it should be less than $2500 which doesn't seem a lot compared to what some people spend on their cars :)
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Pipework & intercoolers are cheap down here mate, everyones boosted, every second shop will do the piping for ya. A good 500 x 200 IC or thereabouts would be ample for your needs.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Hmm, maybe I will go with an IC then for simplicity and cost.
Main thing that I was thinking was if I could just go straight from charger to plenum that would be easiest but charge temps would be too high, which go me thinking about a small cooler in between sort of integrated to the chopped plenum.

I shall have another think about the cooling route.
Thanks Ben.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Here's some pics of the goodies i've got so far.

Charger with mini cooper s intake pipe on, not sure if I will be using that yet but i'm hoping to as it will save fabrication.

Not sure if the throttle body will mate straight up so may need an adapter plate but that's a better option than fabbing the whole lot. (NOW CONFIRMED THAT IT DOES)

Angle for TB will also be off with this setup but I don't see why I can't get around that, will know more when I test fit.

Here's the double alternator pulley, inner 4 rib drives alternator from crank, outer 6 rib drives supercharger
Last edited by Rob Furniss on Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Impellors look to be in really good nic, in fact it all looks to be in good condition.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Does anyone know if you can tap a thread into plastic and if there is anything special about it or you just use a tap set?
Looks like abs but I can't be sure.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Bennoz wrote:Impellors look to be in really good nic, in fact it all looks to be in good condition.
Yeah they are pretty good, I have noticed a tiny bit of scoring like a bit of grit has got in at some stage but only a bit.
The impellors are smoother than on my last one which were quite rough so not sure if these are the newer design or not.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Just ordered this mapp gas torch
http://www.bernzomatic.com/PRODUCTS/TOR ... fault.aspx

and some brazing rods from here
http://www.techni2000.com/

Should come in handy for quite a few jobs but the first one is building the charge cooler, i'm going to practice first of course while i'm waiting for my liquid/air core to arrive from bell intercoolers and I can make a start on the end tanks actually.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Re: Robs new project Supercharger

Post by Rob Furniss »

Measured the distance between bolt holes on the throttle body mounting of the charger intake pipe and it's 65mm, also 60mm centre hole same as FTO throttle body.
Just whipped off my throttle body and attached it as a test fit, seems perfect. Only problem is they are different diameter bolts so I will have to use thinner bolts, maybe sleeved/shoulder bolts but this shouldn't pose a problem.

Here's a couple of pics of the FTO throttle body attached.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

sweeeet, coming along nicely.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Yeah I can't believe the mini cooper s shares the same bolt pattern for the throttle body as the FTO, i'm very pleased about that.
Eltnot
Mechanic

Post by Eltnot »

Too much effort to just tap out a larger bolt size? Project is coming along nicely, I'm really keen to see how it goes with the mivec.