Battery Selection

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

spetz
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Battery Selection

Post by spetz »

Hi guys,

I am wondering what type of battery specs are needed to an FTO?

I have a D34 Optima Yellow top at the moment which weighs in at 19.6kg. It has 750CCA which I know is complete overkill.
The easiest/cheapest way for me to lose 14kg is by installing a lightweight battery. I found a Odyssey which is 5.7kg but only 185CCA. Is this enough?
There is one at 7kg with 220CCA as well.

Please note the battery will be relocated to the trunk
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Re: Battery Selection

Post by I8A4RE »

AAA but just make sure you stick them altogether, the correct way round.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Gholdwayne
Oldtimer

Post by Gholdwayne »

I8A4RE wrote:AAA but just make sure you stick them altogether, the correct way round.
Seriously Simon, what happened to the dick we used to know? :|

:lol:
97 GPX Icelle Blue

I cant stop driving her!
...and when im not, im looking at her!
... ...and when im not, im freakin thinking about her!

FTO[For The Orgasm]
like For The Win!, but more hardcore...
BUZZ_QWERTY
Grease Monkey

Post by BUZZ_QWERTY »

I8A4RE wrote:AAA but just make sure you stick them altogether, the correct way round.
bahahaha
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Gholdwayne wrote:
Seriously Simon, what happened to the dick we used to know? :|

:lol:

I don't know what your talking about? But if you want dick I suggest you look behind you.

p.s. Spelling it out for the slow and/or dumb....It's in your ass. ;)
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Any serious answers?
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Sorry bro, could not help myself. 185 will be ok as long as you don't have a whole lot of added toys eg amps, sub blah blah blah.
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

There is nothing wrong with over the top when it comes down to batteries. I run a 1000cca, this way I know it will get me out of any problem I get into.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

No amps, subs, at most maybe at some stage there will be a fairly small amp running a sub.

It's more so if it's enough cranking power to start the engine
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Pretty sure mine is a 185cc. Good for starting it, but thats about it.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

spetz wrote:No amps, subs, at most maybe at some stage there will be a fairly small amp running a sub.

It's more so if it's enough cranking power to start the engine
Oh it will have more than enough to do that. But why so worried about weight when you are just going to chuck it back in with wog mating horn's?
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Sorry I didn't understand this wogs mating horns remark?

When I bought the battery (years ago) I bought it with the intention of having a big stereo. These days I do not care for that and don't want to lug around almost 20kg of battery. Just trying to drop the weight down as much as possible I guess.
SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

I got one of these a few weeks ago: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BRL-B14115/

They're only 5.5kilos.. and 360 cca's... dont know if thats at 0deg c, or -15deg c though. They have two measurements. But thats plenty in australia imo. Regular FTO batteries are like 450ccas.

Biig difference in handling, but moving it to the boot would do that too.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

That's a dry cell as well is it?
It seems really good for the price.

Was the handling difference immediately noticable?
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Dude who honestly gives a sh*t, leave the battery where it is be done with it. Are you doing touge runs everyday?

Pft, are you guys bored or something.

Do you make sure your glovebox and center console is completely empty as well? nothing in the car?

Do you drive naked?
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

SilverGPX, no one is forcing you to do this, and so long as I do this to my own car it is my own decision.
If you don't like it, don't click on this thread.
SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

I don't know if its dry cell, its a sealed design though.

Some of the REALLY lightweight batteries are lithiom ion or something like that only 1.5kilos... but uber expensive.

I noticed a big difference. But i also had a 19-20kg spare battery in there before switching to the light one. Less momentum when you go through chicanes if you know what i mean...everything just goes easier

You might not notice it on a heavy high powered car 4wd and all that but on civics integras ftos it helps. Saves spooning out for more power and more power doesnt always help handling
Valandis91
Veteran Mechanic

Re: Re: Battery Selection

Post by Valandis91 »

SG wrote:I don't know if its dry cell, its a sealed design though.

Some of the REALLY lightweight batteries are lithiom ion or something like that only 1.5kilos... but uber expensive.

I noticed a big difference. But i also had a 19-20kg spare battery in there before switching to the light one. Less momentum when you go through chicanes if you know what i mean...everything just goes easier

You might not notice it on a heavy high powered car 4wd and all that but on civics integras ftos it helps. Saves spooning out for more power and more power doesnt always help handling
You have a good point... Makes me want to rip out my sub and amp in particular... I can definitely notice when I take my sub out.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Im gonna go to a track and drive around it and time myself, then go back and do it again in a mankini.

Ill give u guys the times.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

silverGPX wrote:Im gonna go to a track and drive around it and time myself, then go back and do it again in a mankini.

Ill give you guys the times.
Whatever you do, DON'T post pictures.