Valandis Build

A place for members to show off their pride & joys.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Valandis91
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Valandis Build

Post by Valandis91 »

in my attempt to make my fto more unique i decided to go the NA route and not the turbo one after a lot of thinking, financing and researching...
i know im taking a risk with somethings as they have not been tested and the outlandish cost of the NA route but hey i thought why not and i know all you guys are gonna give me sh*t but i didnt want crazy power and i couldnt lose that 6a12 mivec scream.
so ive got on order and should receive by next weeks the following.

Go Fast Bits:
RPW Stage 2 Ported Heads
RPW Ported TB\Intake Manifold
RPW HPC Coated Extractors
RPW Stage 2 NA Cams
RPW Vernier Gear Set
Fuel Pressure Regulator
eManage Ultimate
New 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust with new high flow cat with 2 twin tips
Platinum Spark Plugs
Custom Built CAI and intake pipe to rid of the sharp bend before the TB
Magnecor Leads
Maybe thinner head gasket to raise compression a little bit

Handling;
Koni Yellow Fully Adjustable shocks all round
lowered king springs
adjustable whiteline sway and strut bars
polyurethane bushes
Anti Lift and caster kit

Other Stuff:
New water pump
replace all seals
transmission cooler
remote oil cooler
fresh tappets
radiator overhaul
Better Pads and brake fluid
New Timing Belt

thats all i think...

so ah yeah let the bagging out begin!
this is happening in the next week or two just waiting on RPW to finish the HPC coating and the most important part the mivec cams cos im pretty sure no ones done them so its a risk!!!
Last edited by Valandis91 on Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

The N/A route isnt a bad route to go. I'm going n/a as well but only because in motorkhana i go up from class a to class b if i put a turbo on or increase the displacement from 2.0l upwards. If i put a turbo on they add 1.3 to the displacement. So... its n/a for me.

Those are good mods to have on... any other mods you do apart from that might decrease driveability... except for intake and tb thermal gaskets... you could add those on.

Things that decrease drivability would be ITB, lighter crank pulley, lighter flywheel, wrong type of lsd, wrong clutch... but yeah you just get another car :P n keep on having fun.
Valandis91
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Valandis91 »

oh im getting those thermal gaskets as well!
well mines a daily driver so i want it to be reliable as well so NA it is for me!
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

Your looking at 150kw - 160 kw atw for those mods. Not lacking or slow by any means, gonna churn out quite the n/a beast right there :twisted:

Good luck and keep us updated. 8)
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

G/L mate, how much is the total cost and we all want see the dyno when your finished
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

Looks like a nice plan there, what is your budget? That is some pretty serious work.

Only thing I would be wary of is the head gasket. Raising the compression even more is going to require a damn comprehensive tune. Make sure you find a tuner worth their salt :)
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

RPW cams? Are you sure you can get your hands on these?

Also you might wanna look into increasing engine capacity 2 litre to 2.5, some info on that on the forums somewhere.
I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

Sounds good buddy. The engines capable of some serious good performance figures that'll give the honda boys something to cry for weeks about. One question though, I always thought the tappets in a mivec 6a12 weren't changable :?
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

there some great parts you getting there mate

very interested to see how this goes :D
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

isn't this turning into frankensteins engine?

Sounds good though. Keep us posted.
Valandis91
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Valandis91 »

sublime19 wrote:RPW cams? Are you sure you can get your hands on these?

Also you might wanna look into increasing engine capacity 2 litre to 2.5, some info on that on the forums somewhere.
yeah the cams are being made right this second!
it will be a little beast :twisted:
should be finished in 3 weeks if RPW hurry up and get their ass into gear!

i was going to increase the capacity but touching the bottem means some serious $$$$ i wanted to but maybe further down the track in a full years and get a rebuild at the same time!

budget is $18k raising of compression is still in question see how we go! Oh and the dudes doing the work do up the targa cars and tune them so its in safe hands!

total cost $17k so far... 8O
bu hey we only live once haha
definitely wanna put it on the dyno when its done!
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

I hope you've looked into the total cost for this project & talked to a few workshops about the results you could expect
If you have & are still happy to go ahead with it, then I say go for it.

BUUUT....

I'd estimate at least $10000 just for all the parts you've got listed above ($7500 only counting the performance parts, without handling bits & stuff you don't need) .. which IMO is CRAZY money to spend for the results you'd get, a better way to spend the $$ would be to do a turbo conversion & run low boost which would net you the power results you're after..
After fitting everything, unless you're doing it all yourself, I would expect that you'd get stung for at least $15k .. or it could end up costing just as much to do as the Frankenstein engine you were after.

I would have to imagine that the MIVEC would still keep a lot of it's ROAR, even with a turbo..
if you search this site & the net, you'll find that MIVEC Turbo can & has been done before.. Any oil starvation issues would be resolved by having a separate sump for the turbo.

If you haven't already spent the money, I would hope that you would reconsider going ahead with it & as Ben said in your last thread about the Frankenstein engine;
Save your coin, either put a snail on a GR ($6000) or do the 6A13 ($10,000)
Again, In My Own Opinion (and now, extremely biased :P) you would be much better served spending the dollars doing the 6a13 conversion & upgrading all your handling / stopping gear

But if it's the path you want to go down, then best of luck :)

P.S. - I'm not saying any of the above to flame you, or to bag you out for it .. just trying to be helpful
Valandis91
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Valandis91 »

yeah prices ive got are all firm and its within my budget so im doing it...
im not a fan of turboing i want reliability and i prefer muscle to boost...

do u mean 15k to fit everything? thats way to much!
only 3k... and that includes doing everything like timing belt and that... ive done my research and gotten quotes

again im going for uniqueness no one has done the cams as far as im aware so who knows what it could(or couldnt) produce...

but cheers for the advice!

it will be interesting thats for sure!
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

Its definitely going to be interesting to witness this project unfold. Good thing about N/A is that you get every day drive ability and can use the fto as your daily.
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Valandis91 wrote:yeah prices ive got are all firm and its within my budget so im doing it...
im not a fan of turboing i want reliability and i prefer muscle to boost...

do you mean 15k to fit everything? thats way to much!
only 3k... and that includes doing everything like timing belt and that... ive done my research and gotten quotes

again im going for uniqueness no one has done the cams as far as im aware so who knows what it could(or couldnt) produce...

but cheers for the advice!

it will be interesting thats for sure!
no doubt it will be unique .. and congrats for being a pioneer.. might find other people going for the same route if it works out & makes a nice amount of power

as for going for reliability - most of these things are largely untested, so you could run into all sorts of problems with the gear that RPW is making.. you should talk to FTOSam about problems that can be experienced with RPW custom gear

You might find that RPW will blame the workshop if anything goes wrong & the workshop will blame RPW for making faulty parts .. so you might run into some issues claiming warranties if something blows up.. Just something to think about.. when you modify cars you're bound to encounter some expensive probs .. just part & parcel pf it all unfortunately..
I'm definitely keen to see how much power it will make once done though..

i meant 15-20k total .. roughly 10-13k for parts, plus 4-7k for fitting ..

Had you thought about putting a V8 into your FTO? I'm thinking it would be possible with a bit of effort .. finding a suitable engine might be a bit of a task .. but I would think a Lexus engine might be a GO.. hard to tell without sizing them up though.. 'ts one project I'd like to see happen..
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

how much are your cams costing you? just curious ...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Good for you :)

Couple of things I would have done locally thou, otherwise you're gonna have a bill from rpw bigger than that of a 6A13 conversion

RPW Ported Heads - any machine / performance engine build shop can do this, even I can do it. Speak to the bloke who'll be assembling all this & ask him if he's got a local guy who can do it. Porting is nothing more than spending time with a straight grinder. Also deck the head (machine the mating surface) to bump up compression. You can also look at having larger valves (tri seated) put in, also look at heavier duty double valve springs to increase valve return speed. Especially if your gonna get high rpm cams.

RPW Ported TB\Intake Manifold - Also something that any machine shop can do. Buy a larger brass butterfly & just bore out the core. Make sure you port out the mouth of the plenum to match as well.

RPW HPC Coated Extractors - on an N/A engine, HPC coating is a toss. Waste of money.
Valandis91
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Valandis91 »

yeah bennoz i was going to but after finding out how much they charge down here since only one place does it they charge $$$ so its going to end up cheaper getting the rpw heads

the disadvantages of living in Hobart :( *sigh*
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

Valandis91 wrote:yeah bennoz i was going to but after finding out how much they charge down here since only one place does it they charge $$$ so its going to end up cheaper getting the rpw heads

Might be cheaper to get them from the mainland, ported and polished and sent to you in hobart. Might work out cheaper if the only local place near you charge too much $$$. Either way, its not gonna be cheap.
Bennoz wrote:RPW HPC Coated Extractors - on an N/A engine, HPC coating is a toss. Waste of money.
+1, just get some nice 4-2-1's with 2.5" piping or something along those lines.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

koolio1234 wrote:
Valandis91 wrote:yeah bennoz i was going to but after finding out how much they charge down here since only one place does it they charge $$$ so its going to end up cheaper getting the rpw heads

Might be cheaper to get them from the mainland, ported and polished and sent to you in hobart. Might work out cheaper if the only local place near you charge too much $$$. Either way, its not gonna be cheap.
Bennoz wrote:RPW HPC Coated Extractors - on an N/A engine, HPC coating is a toss. Waste of money.
+1, just get some nice 4-2-1's with 2.5" piping or something along those lines.
lol .. it would be cheaper to get the whole car shipped to the mainland to be done & shipped back afterwards..