HEY guys I'm new :D looking for an FTO in a bit of a pickle

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Murdockie1992
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by Murdockie1992 »

HEY GUYS :D I've been searching for nice looking FTOS for the past week now and have managed to find about 2 nice ones that I'm seriously looking at ;D both have cars on this forum i think :D. i currently have a 99 Subaru forester and my parents are complaining that ill be "backtracking" to an older model car which to them seems stupid. my forester has 200,000kms on it whereas both fto's have 100 and under. so my dilemma is should i still purchase a FTO or upgrade to a new'ish car?

really LOVE the sportiness off the ftos driven two lately and was like wow coming from lancers to wagons. . .
would REALLY love to have one especially when its going to be $3000 cheaper loll

please give your honest answer :D ill take all into consideration.

my names chris and i really look forward to meeting you with an FTO eventually if i get one at your meetings/rallys etc

thanks guys :D
F.UCKING T.ERRIFIC O.RTOMOBILE

FTO AUSTRALIA
renzkuken1
Veteran Mechanic

Re: HEY guys I'm new :D looking for an FTO in a bit of a pic

Post by renzkuken1 »

Hey mate,
my fto was my first car.
I recently purchased a second fto.
I love them haha
Great to work on and fun to drive!
I definitely recommend getting one. :) Get a gpx.
How old are you Chris?
I'm Chris too. :lol:
From sydney.
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

Hey mate
They are a fantastic car to have, drive and work on.
Just be prepared that they are getting old, so things might need to be replaced.
Other than that, enjoy :)
Oh and try to get a gpx, the Mivec roar is just amaaaazing :)
Murdockie1992
Apprentice

Post by Murdockie1992 »

HEy guys thanks :D I'm 19 lol wooooo! nearly got my blacks but moving to canberra at end of year so turbo will be quite the upgrade haha!.

and for sydney . i ventured up from batemans bay yesterday to test out two mivex GPX cars lol .. to my amazement i wrote down the number from another ftp on the carsales thinking it was the one i was actually keen on buying. speaking to him for a week and finally got to see it only to my shock that it was auto, sh*t quality, poorly looked after, half the kms though ha. but all in all i saw another one that was 6990 down to 6000 for me. has a cracked front bar (bout an iPhone wide and long) obvious repair, few minor blemishes where the skirts and wing sit. these few things would be DEFINATELy the things i would like to work on myself and with my mates (who are car enthusiast) to bring the girl back to life.

a few questions ..

wats the STOCK front bar made out of? so i know what to get quoted for (to find out details and equipment for myself lol)

is rubbing back the paint of scuff marks from the body kit hard to repaint?

and has anyone got some detailed information on the reliability of these cars?
been examining the whole forum trying to find out what i need etc haha. just don't wanna rush into buying this one when theres a few others (9 hours away -.-) for a little cheaper and better quality

thanks lads :D

oh and the first car i saw sounded like a cow when i revved it :p

FTO AUSTRALIA
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

First thing WTTC :D .
Now for your question:-
Most ppl would say parts are hard to get, well yes and no. Most parst can be taken from other mitsi cars lancer, HJ gallants and so on. If not we have a good parts man called Dstocks he can get almost every thing you need new or second hand, and even parts that you see and just have to have lol.

Now as far as mods for the engine well they are limited and some can cost big $$$$ but hay tell me what car won't send you bankrupt :lol: .
They are not the fastest car in a strait line but put some corners in front of them an then it comes alive :twisted:

You ask us if you should get an FTO, well you know 99% of us will sa yes get one. For the price of them at this time, the look of them and the sound you will be happy.
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

Oh and as for sounds from the FTO's have a look at this.
1st to 3rd are FTO's but hay I'm sure you can see that :lol: .
1st and 2nd ones are turbo.

renzkuken1
Veteran Mechanic

Post by renzkuken1 »

You can pick up a fairly reasonable priced front bumper off dstocks if you were looking at upggrading. :twisted:
Dstocks is your #1 player.
Murdockie1992
Apprentice

Post by Murdockie1992 »

haha yeah :D the second one i drove had a BEASt of a 3.5" full ways exhaust kit topped of with a cannon i could literally sleep in lol ... absolutely epic. and my neighbours will hate me for it as my mate lives 2 doors down with AEG Engine in his corolla with another cannon, both beats lol .

do you think it would be stupid or foolish to sell my forester 99 model and buy a older car? but with less KMS

or should i be "sensible and buy a swift or something thats like 9000$?

FTO AUSTRALIA
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Hi Chris,

You are going to get a biased opinion here no matter who you ask, so keep that in mind.

Firstly im going to try and offer some advice on what to look for. Later model FTO's have ABS and drivers airbag standard and some have passengers ones as well. This might win some points with the parents. Earlier models (pre 97) are prone to rust in the roof, so look out for that. If you see bubbles of any kind, stay clear. There is a thread on the forum that covers all the things to look out for, so track that down and have a good look.

The car itself is economical considering its a sports car and should out handle the forester even though its 4wd (as long as the suspension is in good knick). Pickup is good, but it isnt a rocketship. Mods are possible, but dont come particularly cheaply. Most importantly, the car is fun to drive. There have been a number of people that have moved to newer/more powerful cars and have ended up regretting it and some have even gone back and bought another FTO. Its a V6, so will last longer than a 4 on average. The manual is slightly quicker than the tip (all drivers being equal).

This car did win car of the year in 95. Lastly, if you do decide to go ahead, familiarise yourself with the models and options before you buy.

In my opinion you wont be disappointed. Oh and we are a pretty laid back club. If you end up buying, theres a bonfire in April next year which has become an annual event. You are more than welcome to come.

Oh and I work in Canberra (live near Batemans Bay), so if you want I can bring mine down so you can see a good example.

Oh and welcome to the club.....
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    aza013
    NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

8O 3.5" is over kill, 2.5 should be the biggest you should go. Now as for cannons well they are not the best thing on an FTO , IMO and a lot of other members will agree.

Now is it a good idea :?
    If you look around and get a good one then yes, if you just get one of the first ones you see maybe not.

Have you looked at our FS area?
    Murdockie1992
    Apprentice

Post by Murdockie1992 »

yeah i understand that and i myself would also give the FTO a thumbs up in your case, I'm just merely concerned about buying a car 3 years younger.
    and loosing potentially a fair bit of money in the run. EVEN though its not that big of an issue as uni is coming up and i HOPE to get a full time job after it where the money side of it would be petty cash.
    considering the car is a sports car etc i understand the pros and cons etc etc i just am the biggest procrastinator ever lol . i listen to other peoples thoughts and opinions more then my own, how i see it is that ID LOVE an FTO because i like the power, noise, looks (rice :D) and it would be just an all round fun car to drive for at least two years or something. but the cons are , no back room for anybody to sit in it comfortably for a long period of time aha (not a BIG issue as all my friends have 5 seaters and take their car if be) .. again older model , NOT TOO familiar with the cars but have got a general understanding that they are reliable and parts are readily available if need be (ebay , forums) and the law side of it all lol . as I'm greens il be driveng a "please book me car" so to speak haha!

now about that option u just gave me lol .. what if i met up with you at your side considering you would be doing me the favour not other way around. i didn't get the best look over the cars while i was inspecting them and SORTA didn't know what to exactly look for. did check scuffs etc, but yeh

FTO AUSTRALIA
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

give me a call at home on 02 4478 1311 and I can answer any questions/arrange a meet up either at my place (on the way to Batemans Bay) or Braddon, Canberra where I work.

cheers

dstocks
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      Murdockie1992
      Apprentice

Post by Murdockie1992 »

you got a name mate :D and thanks for that very much appreciated ! . names chris and ill probably give you a ring tomorrow or something.
      cheers mate

FTO AUSTRALIA
      dstocks
      National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Dwayne or dstocks. Will be in Canberra next on Tuesday. Will be at home for the next 4 days
        Murdockie1992
        Apprentice

Post by Murdockie1992 »

where a bouts do you live? i got tmw off work (well start at 5) could possibly if your free, shoot up to wherever u are and have a good old look ?
        thanks dwayne

FTO AUSTRALIA
        aza013
        NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

Mini meet up in town :D .
        Murdockie1992
        Apprentice

Post by Murdockie1992 »

I'm more then happy to lol. id love to take one for a spin or be in it to be shown the true power and to be ran over the whole car for inspection and quality purposes :D

FTO AUSTRALIA
        dstocks
        National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Well,

Got 2 Road FTO's, another im turning into a ute and LOTS of bits and pieces (ive owned 20 FTO's now). Im 20 minutes from Batemans Bay on the road to Canberra (2.5 km off highway). Can give you some time to show you want to look for, what is possible and some of the bits and pieces that you can get. My baby is one of the more modified ones in the club. And Aza, if you want to come down for a drive, you are more than welcome......
          Murdockie1992
          Apprentice

Post by Murdockie1992 »

thats awesome , pretty close which is helpful haha :D are you home and free tomorrow or we can arrange another day its up to you really.

jonowong has accepted my offer for $6200 on his car considering it needs a massive front bar repair and a few blemishes fixed up. once i sell my car i can hopefully get it or something

FTO AUSTRALIA
          sublime19
          Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

renzkuken1 wrote:Hey mate,
          my fto was my first car.
          I recently purchased a second fto.
          I love them haha
          Great to work on and fun to drive!
          I definitely recommend getting one. :) Get a gpx.
          How old are you Chris?
          I'm Chris too. :lol:
          From sydney.
          I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
          Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
          Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.