Oil Priming 6A12

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

spetz
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Oil Priming 6A12

Post by spetz »

Is there a way to oil prime a 6A12 motor?
spetz
Oldtimer

Re: Oil Priming 6A12

Post by spetz »

Bump...
Guys the motor has not been started in YEARS... Certainly I cannot just start it without priming it for oil?
Storm
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Storm »

Normally I would say pull the plugs so theres no stress on it and turn it over on the starter but thats a lot of palaver with the V6

Personally I'd pull out the front plugs and disconnect the plug for the injector loom and turn it over on the starter till you feel confident in it's oil pressure. Obviously be best if you had a pressure gauge you could check ;)
Life is short - Have an affair
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

I was planning on purchasing and fitting an oil pressure gauge before starting it for the first time.
I don't mind taking off all 6 plugs if you think it should be done?

Also, is it safe to crank it but not start it? ie, oil pressure will build? No chance of ruining something inside like the bearings?
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

I'm certainly no expert, and perhaps what I will say is laughable.

But if the oil is no good, then simply drain and fill... would that prime it enough?
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

If you're really that worried about it squirt a bit down each of the spark plug holes, let it sit for an hour or 2 then turn it over.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Astron Boy, of course I plan on filling it with new oil before starting, however just filling it does not prime it. The oil pump sends oil through everything, even the crankshaft has oil holes in it where oil is squirted between the crank and bearings (main ends), and the valvetrain is oiled etc.

Shane, my original plan is to disconnect the plugs and crank it will new oil, 5 seconds at a time a few times over. From reading though it seems the older engines (specifically the American ones) can be primed by spinning the pump with a drill. I know this can't be done on our engines.
Can I prime it by forcing oil somehow through the oil filter? ie, filling it from there, but filling it in such a way that it lubricates everything, in the mean time hand cranking the engine?
Storm
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Storm »

If you are hauling off the inlet manifold then I would do as said earlier. Leave out the plugs, disconnect the injectors so they aren't squirting petrol into the cylinders, stick a little oil down each plug hole and then turn it over on the starter.

With all the plugs out there isn't going to be any stress on the big end bearings as all they'll be doing is sliding the pistons up and down the barrels. Once you see you have oil pressure you should be good to go.
Life is short - Have an affair
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

That makes sense Storm.
Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it.

By the time I will start it the car would have been sitting for about 4 years... I hope there will be no complications