Engine mount screws

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FTored
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Engine mount screws

Post by FTored »

Hello,

I have followed the excellent guide in the diy section for replacing the engine mounts on my 98 GX..the lower ones.

What bothers me and i dont think it should be th e diameter of the screws used. I mean the screws that go inside of the mount and secure them on the engine. Their diameter is really small in comparison on the hole that exists on the engine mount for the screw. I bought larger in diameter screws thinking that it would be tighter on the mount but they cant fit as the holes on the engine are too narrow for them.

Is this how it is supposed to be? I though of drilling a bit the existing holes so that the thicker screws can get through but i dont know if it would be ok..

Hope my english made sense:$
Bennoz
National President

Re: Engine mount screws

Post by Bennoz »

That larger diametre on the front mount is meant to be like that. Its a fail safe, so that if the engine has a big jolt, it will slip within that front mount arrangment - as opposed to tearing the mount.

Just put the normal bolt through it that came with it & nip it up. The compression of that holds it in place.