just another newbie with some questions :)

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

shadowarrior
Tightarse
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: just another newbie with some questions :)

Post by shadowarrior »

@Taz & silverGpx, hmm will keep that in mind. I will ride down there someday and have a chat with them. I'll read the QLD preferred business post in here to find out about other mechanics around my place.

@phi-tec $1500 bucks!?!?!?!?!?!? 8O man!!! you were lucky as hell!!! I don't think I'll get a post 97 model in my budget (5-5.5ish) so I might look at some pre 97 models but keep an eye out on the stuffs mentioned in this post.
I saw a silver 95 gpx for sale, gonna call him up and see where that leads to.
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

I used my magic to get the rwc matt. They only gave it to me to help me get it on the road- he didn't give me The blue slip needed to sell the car. Just the required sheets to register it.
Taz wrote:When funds allow
shadowarrior
Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

With the roof rust problem, is it more common in the sunroof models?

Also what is an average cost of fixing the roof rust? (Not something like cutting the roof off and re-welding it back but average fixes)

Want to know if I should just stay away from the ones with rust problem or get one (provided the rust isn't really bad, and everything else pass the test) and fix it for myself?
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

Stay away from rust, not worth spending a few grand in fixing it.

Good to see some constructive feedback in this thread apart from the single member degrading and insulting everybody's vehicle.
I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
shadowarrior
Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

sublime19 wrote:Stay away from rust, not worth spending a few grand in fixing it.
Thanks for the reply sublime. Is the rust common for sunroof models only or would be across all pre-facelift ones?
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Its not more common in the sunroof models, but is more expensive to fix as there are more lines of glue. It will cost you about a grand to repair and respray (depending on severity). Make sure it gets welded to be sure its gone, otherwise, there is a chance it will return agin in a year or so. If you buy a pre 97, even if there isnt any rust, remove the glue as the rust happens from the inside of the roof (so you wont see it unless it has worked its way right through the roof skin). My guide shows you how to do this:

http://www.completefto.com.au/CompleteFTO.asp?hid=199
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    phi-tec
    Veteran Mechanic

Post by phi-tec »

yeah man 1500, prob hustled with some h exchange haha
    the silver one your going too look at, is it the 6k one in bris? near indro? mates about to look at ftos this week
    You have the right to remain silent, anything you do say will be quoted and used against you
    silverGPX
    9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

sublime19 wrote:Good to see some constructive feedback in this thread apart from the single member degrading and insulting everybody's vehicle.
    naww.
    poor baby. :(

GEADC

:)
    sublime19
    Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

silverGPX wrote:
    naww.
    Contradiction at its best :roll:
    I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
    Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
    Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
    bass_twitch
    Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

dstocks wrote:Its not more common in the sunroof models, but is more expensive to fix as there are more lines of glue. It will cost you about a grand to repair and respray (depending on severity). Make sure it gets welded to be sure its gone, otherwise, there is a chance it will return agin in a year or so. If you buy a pre 97, even if there isnt any rust, remove the glue as the rust happens from the inside of the roof (so you wont see it unless it has worked its way right through the roof skin). My guide shows you how to do this:

that reminds me... I need to do that still...
    When is the next nsw DIY day??
    shadowarrior
    Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

phi-tec wrote:yeah man 1500, prob hustled with some h exchange haha
    the silver one your going too look at, is it the 6k one in bris? near indro? mates about to look at ftos this week
    lol :P
    naah, this car is in Upper Brookfield. Is your friend going to see Chris' silver gpx?
    Astron_Boy
    Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

bass_twitch wrote:
    dstocks wrote:Its not more common in the sunroof models, but is more expensive to fix as there are more lines of glue. It will cost you about a grand to repair and respray (depending on severity). Make sure it gets welded to be sure its gone, otherwise, there is a chance it will return agin in a year or so. If you buy a pre 97, even if there isnt any rust, remove the glue as the rust happens from the inside of the roof (so you wont see it unless it has worked its way right through the roof skin). My guide shows you how to do this:

Bonfire...

Memories? :lol:
    bass_twitch
    Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

Astron_Boy wrote:
    bass_twitch wrote:

Bonfire...

Memories? :lol:
    :lol:
    Iv vowed not to work on my car again at a bonfire...
    Although working on the roof can't be that dangerous ;) :lol:
    shadowarrior
    Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

I am quite a newbie to working on cars by myself (hey this is going to be my first car!!)...and I don't have most of the tools required for getting the glue out either. I might come along to one of the meets (when I do pick up my FTO :P ) and do it there, so someone can smack me when I do something wrong :)

Or, I might just take it to someone who knows about this to get it done. (A drive to meet dstocks sounds like a good idea :P)
    phi-tec
    Veteran Mechanic

Post by phi-tec »

Upper Brookfield is near indro? Haha that's the one I'm tlkin bout. 6k sunroof la di the di the. If u don't snatch it up soon me and my mate will most likely havin a peep at it on Monday when I have time. Let me know how u go! Seems alright from the add, but one of those things u can't just judge by some pictures
    You have the right to remain silent, anything you do say will be quoted and used against you
    shadowarrior
    Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

phi-tec wrote:Upper Brookfield is near indro? Haha that's the one I'm tlkin bout. 6k sunroof la di the di the. If you don't snatch it up soon me and my mate will most likely havin a peep at it on Monday when I have time. Let me know how you go! Seems alright from the add, but one of those things you can't just judge by some pictures
    Aha!! (new to QLD, still don't know about the suburbs here....after all the time I spent learning about Melbourne roads :( )
    Yep that's the one which has roof rust supposedly. Had a chat with him yesterday. Good friendly guy. Sounds like he knows about his car a bit (unlike this other guy who, when asked about changing timing belt, said he changes it every 5000kms!! 8O )
    Few things which clicked against the car,
    - didn't have any receipts for work done in the car.
    - roof rust (ouch!!)
    - don't think he has changed the alternator or the stepper motor (would add up to the cost post-purchase)
    Would still want to put it up on the hoist to check for under body rust.

But going by the posted price, and the average price of getting rust fixed, its adding up quite a bit (6k+1k for rust+whatever for changing alternator and stepper)

I am planning on going there this weekend to have a look.
    Chiinkstarrh
    Mechanic

Post by Chiinkstarrh »

sublime19 wrote:
    silverGPX wrote:
    naww.
    Contradiction at its best :roll:
    lol dw sublime.. their either having a bad day or its the time of the month that came around on the person

FTO 95 GPX .................................................................................. 2000 MR2 Spyder