just another newbie with some questions :)

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

silverGPX
9.5"
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: just another newbie with some questions :)

Post by silverGPX »

And more so price doesnt make a difference, i bought my fto for $10,500 and there was not one thing wrong with it, all started to come apart within a month. I also bought it at "118,000"kms

It was immaculate, i searched around for months for my fto. Some people are lu ky but in my area i know of 4 problem fto's alone. Which is very bad odds.
phunkydude
Veteran Mechanic

Post by phunkydude »

Yep, price is not a good indicator at all.
Anyone can jack up the price to 10k and say it has been well taken care of.

Don't expect it to be problem-free even if you bought one that priced at 15k.

If you have the passion and time for fto which you plan to keep it for quite a while, you would be better off getting one that priced at 5k or so which drives without problem and body in good nick. Then keep 5k in your bank to fix any problem that arise upon the years of owning it.

Gholdwayne wrote: Good on you for being able to put up with your fto problems but man, the temper, please. :lol:
Pardon him. :lol: He just fixed his leaky waterpump on his silver fto not long ago, and now kate's one is leaking. He's surely pissed on that especially he's trying to get the black one all fixed up but somethings just keep broken down.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Yeah it was last straw for her, we were just about to forkout the final fixes for it which were the tappets and sunroof and this happened.

We were in city commonwealth today discussing personal loans for a little suzuki today, so yeah black car is going on the market very soon.
phunkydude
Veteran Mechanic

Post by phunkydude »

pink swift? why not nissan cube?
Personal loan for a suzuki!
Geez.. how can you be that mature when you're younger than me!

There was once I tried to think rationale too on getting a reliable car, but i bet my heart would itch after a month of owning those family car.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Well shes going for a sierra/vitara, which doesnt mean reliablity, its a lot more about practicality.

We can do some 4wding, tow our motobike trailer, fit our mates in, get shopping.

Wed rather spend money on a car breaking down thats practical.
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Youve had some bad luck Matt. Unfortunately the black one was in really bad condition when you got it though (I saw it just beforehand - bit like lawso's really). In youre case, I think youve been really unlucky. Sometimes, no matter how hard you research, you end up with a lemon. Ive had this happen with other cars, but not personally an FTO yet. I dont believe that FTO's are any less reliable than most other things out there though. Can understand your bitterness though.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    Bennoz
    National President

Post by Bennoz »

Hey, at least you didn't spend 80 grand only to have to rebuild your gearbox once every 3 months :lol:
    Astron_Boy
    Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Bennoz wrote:Hey, at least you didn't spend 80 grand only to have to rebuild your gearbox once every 3 months :lol:
    not like you have a factory car. :lol:

Apart from 1 problem to which I'm simply too lazy to investigate and fix, our FTO has been a peach.

You can buy any car and it turn out to be a lemon.

Faults will happen with cars.
    If you tend to things as they should be maintained then there will be less headaches.

Hell, there was a brand new E250 outside my house yesterday as I pulled in to my spot. The guy got out and asked me for help as I pulled up in the merc also.
    From the sound of it, it was as if the diff was completely dry, dont know the end outcome, but any car regardless of age will give you headaches, it's not isolated.

I've had Magnas most of my life, Gen 1s for that matter, the most hated Mitsu of them all with a bad history.

Know how many issues I've had? 2.

That's right. 2, wheel bearings and an alternator. I recently scrapped my sedan due to rust from previous shonky repair work done, had the car holding water and rotting on the inside, had nothing to do with the car itself though.

Good luck with your purchase, take your time, have it checked out, and you will end up with a nice car.
    Taz
    Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Ive had mine for about a year now and have never had a single problem. The aircon belt went soon after i got it but it was noted when i bought the car and i knew it was going, a cheap fix and 20min later car was back on the road.
    The car drives like a dream and has never had any problems with tappets/pumps/belts etc etc i honestly dont know what half the people are bitchin about on here when they complain like you do silver...
    Not sure if its because mines late 98 model, or just the fact that i actually take care of the car and service it every 5k with a decent mechanic etc etc, but aza also agrees that theyre only a bitch if you neglect them, or get a lemon thats been neglected in the past.
    I would like to think even after all the blood sweat and tears people still love their FTO's as they are a very unique and awesome car :lol:
    Im definitely looking forward to the many years to come with mine :D
    Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
    Gholdwayne
    Oldtimer

Post by Gholdwayne »

^ :cheers:

Likewise :thumright:
    97 GPX Icelle Blue

I cant stop driving her!
    ...and when im not, im looking at her!
    ... ...and when im not, im freakin thinking about her!

FTO[For The Orgasm]
    like For The Win!, but more hardcore...
    shadowarrior
    Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

Thanks for the tips guys, really appreciate it.

Yes I agree, like any car, there is a bit of luck involved when buying a used one. It can turn out to be a complete lemon.
    @Topao, I will try and get a professional to look at the car before purchasing. Maybe a full RACV check? Putting it on the lift should reveal under body rust as well.
    As I mentioned earlier, I would prefer getting a car from a member here, so I know how the person has treated the car. I don't really know anything about cars, so I might also post questions here about cars I go and inspect.

The problems/services most of you guys mentioned in FTO Help, are common for any car of that age. It goes wrong, replace it, service the car regularly, and the part should hold for a good long time again. Main is getting a car which has been looked after by the previous owner.

A $1000 bucks on getting timing belt, water pump and the seals changed is normal price. (Our Pajero had the same bill).
    The only question here would be, are the parts easy to find? If they are not, I would assume they will be expensive as well?

This will be my first car, and yes I will be looking at keeping it and maintaining it for a long time.

Thanks phi-tec, am I looking at the correct link? : http://www.truelocal.com.au/business/jo ... /southport
    that's next door to my place :)

I had thought of keep a budget of around $5-5.5 thousand for the car, and then add a grand for the timing belt service etc. Am I looking at realistic figures?
    All the fto I found near me (100kms near my place) are pre 97, so I have to look out for rust on them. But I am in no hurry of buying it right now, so I can always wait till a post 97 comes to the market.

@silvergpx, if I had regular trouble with a vehicle, yes I would get quite upset with them too. But as someone pointed out, it could be that you have been extremely unlucky. That's where the luck factor comes in while buying an old car I guess. And I think I will take my chances with it.

As long as parts are easy to get, I am happy to buy a car and deal with the problems.

@rock_it, I am not replacing my motorbikes. :) I ride a Kawasaki ZRX1200S now, had an old school zx6 (pre power regulation model) in Melbourne for track days. Plan to pick up a rocket 3 sometime next year. The bikes are still going to be there along with the cars. But I wanted a car which is unique, has it's own image and presence, and is fun to drive and own. Shortlisted the Soarer TT and the FTO. And the FTO won the round. :)
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

There are quite a few aftermarket parts that you can get locally to replace the genuine consumables (for example timing belt is a Gates T987). Anything you have to go genuine on I can get (I have a contact in Mitsubishi in Japan and at a push can have something delivered in a week (although I prefer to put a box together to reduce costs for people). There are also quite a few of us that provide a 2nd hand parts store. Ive wrecked about 15 FTO's now so have lots of spares. If I cant help, I usually know someone that can
    Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      Astron_Boy
      Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

shadowarrior wrote:I would prefer getting a car from a member here, so I know how the person has treated the car.
      Unfortunately that means very little.
      There are the odd people that have been unlucky.

Not pointing any fingers directly at past owners, but just remember, some people also know as much about cars as you do, and they simply own the car you want.
      silverGPX
      9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

lol J
      shadowarrior
      Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

dstocks wrote:There are quite a few aftermarket parts that you can get locally to replace the genuine consumables (for example timing belt is a Gates T987). Anything you have to go genuine on I can get (I have a contact in Mitsubishi in Japan and at a push can have something delivered in a week (although I prefer to put a box together to reduce costs for people). There are also quite a few of us that provide a 2nd hand parts store. Ive wrecked about 15 FTO's now so have lots of spares. If I cant help, I usually know someone that can
      Now that is some good assuring news for me :)
      Only three steps left now.... find a decent FTO... inspect it properly....and buy it :)

A quick question about buying interstate. I am in QLD, if I buy a car which has current rego and rwc in another state (for example NSW) what are the steps for registering it back here?
      I recently moved from Melbourne and this is what I did for my bikes and Mrs' Pajero.
      -Get a rwc from QLD.
      -Take Rwc and new rego papers to QLD Rego office.
      -Pay and you are done.

The FTO's being an import, do we have to take it to the pits again while registering it here?
      If the car has a valid NSW rwc, but it fails the QLD rwc (within say a week) can I go back to the NSW rwc issuer and ask wtf is going on? (or the QLD rwc issuer in that case)

When buying the FTO, where should I look for the AU approval stamp for the import?

@Astron_Boy, true. But the way I looked at it, if someone actively takes interest in his/her car, he would post about it in the forums. Posts about things he has done, things which are bugging him hence looking for a solution. Which is a good thing. Also if I see a member selling his car...and I see through his previous posts that he had perpetual problems with that car which he could not solve. Then I will know, buying that car will also mean buying all those problems.
      So something along those lines :)
      Astron_Boy
      Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

shadowarrior wrote:@Astron_Boy, true. But the way I looked at it, if someone actively takes interest in his/her car, he would post about it in the forums. Posts about things he has done, things which are bugging him hence looking for a solution. Which is a good thing. Also if I see a member selling his car...and I see through his previous posts that he had perpetual problems with that car which he could not solve. Then I will know, buying that car will also mean buying all those problems.
      again, that can be argued, this forum has seen a couple of issues, even with your thinking.

Main thing is have it checked out by an independant as you have mentioned and you will have all your basis covered, regardless of cars forum listed history (or lack there-of) or not.
      shadowarrior
      Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

Astron_Boy wrote:
      shadowarrior wrote:@Astron_Boy, true. But the way I looked at it, if someone actively takes interest in his/her car, he would post about it in the forums. Posts about things he has done, things which are bugging him hence looking for a solution. Which is a good thing. Also if I see a member selling his car...and I see through his previous posts that he had perpetual problems with that car which he could not solve. Then I will know, buying that car will also mean buying all those problems.
      again, that can be argued, this forum has seen a couple of issues, even with your thinking.

Main thing is have it checked out by an independant as you have mentioned and you will have all your basis covered, regardless of cars forum listed history (or lack there-of) or not.
      Yep Astron_boy, I will be getting it checked by RACV, (or if the car is in GC, will take it to Joe & Rik's)
      silverGPX
      9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Joe and Riks are a shady bunch.

Heard some bad stories about using good parts off other customers cars to fix others, borepyano, (Yang) on here knows more about it than me.

Also charge out the arse for labour, $400 to put in a set of GR tappets?, with me supplying them.

They passed a roadworthy on kates car, when everyone knows what condition it was in.

Looked over an invoice from them from another member on here, pete gpx, charged him $2000 for $800 worth of work, or something along those lines.

Will never take my car there. Drive past their workshop and you'll see what i mean.
      phi-tec
      Veteran Mechanic

Post by phi-tec »

Yes that's the right place I believe (never been but heard lots about it)

About registering. My mum lives in Melbourne. Bought FTO I got now off her friend ($1500 cheap as chips) had it for a month and didn't change the name. So when I went down to Vic. I convinced her to give to me :D. So wrote a reciept with my name on it, got it sent up here (via transport company with Vic rego on it still) then once I had the money i got a rwc and went to Queensland transport. Paid the stamp duty+rego fees. And surrendered plates. And I was set :). So I don't think there's any issue with the import side of things
      Last edited by phi-tec on Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
      You have the right to remain silent, anything you do say will be quoted and used against you
      Taz
      Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Hmmm last time/first time i went to Joe n ricks i thought the prices were ridiculously cheap. got charged 130 for a service from top to bottom (didnt supply nothing) and another 130 to change the rear/front brakes (rear right hand caliper was extremely sticky at the time and took a bit to get off i imagine as i couldnt do it myself) and to adjust the tappets.
      Even got a ride into town and back.
      This was a year ago though when they were at the old shop, and i might have been a one off lucky customer, but just saying - at one time there was atleast 1 shred of decent service/pricing from them i can vouch for :lol:
      Couldnt be fucked driving down to them every 5k so i just got my brothers father to take on the car :D haven't looked back since.
      Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!