DIY: Installing a Master Kill Switch

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Shane001
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

DIY: Installing a Master Kill Switch

Post by Shane001 »

First point to make, if you are considering this for a road registered vehicle please check with your local authorities to confirm this modification is legal. This may or may not be legal for use in a road going vehicle in your state or country.

Also any modifications you make are your own responsibility. I accept no liability for anything that might go wrong, damage that might be caused, or financial or any other loss due to following my instructions below. If you are not competent to be able to figure out how to do this without my instructions, then you should really leave this sort of modification to a professional auto electrician with motorsport experience. Also these instructions are based on my specific model FTO (95 GPX manual) and your model FTO may be different.

OK, that's the disclaimers out of the way ;)

This modification is as installed on my racecar, and is a standard requirement for most motorsport categories worldwide. Basically what this does is install a master switch that in the event of an accident or fire will completely shut down the vehicle with a single switch. Normally this switch would also incorporate a pull cable to the outside of the vehicle so a marshall or track official can kill the vehicle without having to reach inside the vehicle (ie if you were unconcious or unable to reach the switch).

Following is the diagram for the switch itself.
MasterKillSwitch.jpg
MasterKillSwitch.jpg (36.33 KiB) Viewed 316 times
The positive terminal of the battery is rewired through this switch, with one side of the switch connecting to the battery and the other side of the switch connecting to the main positive connection on the starter motor. This connection to the battery replaces all existing positive connections to the battery. This wire (from the battery to the switch to the starter motor) should be very heavy guage (on my race car this wire measures a little over 10mm in outside diameter). This is the main terminal on the switch.

You will then see two additional pairs of blade connectors on the switch, one pair labelled 1 and the other labelled 2. The pair labelled 1 is very important as this protects your electronics from surge when suddenly throwing the switch. One side connects to the positive terminal that connects to the starter motor, the other side connects to an earth through an 11W 3ohm resistor (which should come with the switch).

The pair of blade terminals labelled 2 connects into your ignition wiring on your ignition switch. On the FTO this is pin 3 of the ignition switch connector, on my 95 GPX this is a thick black wire with a white stripe. You basically cut this wire and connect one side to one of the blade terminals labelled 2, and the other side to the other. So you are basically wiring the kill switch blade terminals labelled 2 in line in the ignition switch terminal number 3 wire.

Following are (corrected) diagrams from the FTO Electrical and Workshop Manuals showing the connector and the wiring diagram for this switch. I say corrected as when I verified these connections on my 95 GPX the 'Ignition Switch Continuity Check' in the manual was all wrong, but if you look closely my 'corrections' do correspond correctly to the actual wiring diagram from the Electrical manual.
IgnitionSwitch2.JPG
IgnitionSwitch2.JPG (117.83 KiB) Viewed 316 times
IgnitionSwitch.JPG

As with anything I would strongly recommend you verify and confirm the connections on your own car before making any modifications. From the limited electrical work I have done with my racecar so far with reference to the manuals and other diagrams that are available for the FTO, there are quite a few little corrections that I've had to make for my specific model FTO.

Have fun :D
Shane001
Oldtimer

Re: DIY: Installing a Master Kill Switch

Post by Shane001 »

Reserved - This post will include instructions for wiring in a push button start switch and toggle ignition switch with the above master kill switch. I'm planning to wire this into my racecar soon so I can do away with the keyed ignition barrel switch.
spency
Mechanic

Post by spency »

Shane001 wrote: I'm planning to wire this into my racecar soon so I can do away with the keyed ignition barrel switch.
Save weight on keys? ;)
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

spency wrote:
Shane001 wrote: I'm planning to wire this into my racecar soon so I can do away with the keyed ignition barrel switch.
Save weight on keys? ;)
:lol: something like that ;)