Hi everyone

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

pinkleptir
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Hi everyone

Post by pinkleptir »

Hi im new here and thought this would be a good place to ask about Fto's.
Are they a reliable car, what is the best model and mileage on tank.
I'm dying to buy one but cant seem to find anyone that owns this particular car to ask the above questions.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
rock_it
Oldtimer

Re: Hi everyone

Post by rock_it »

pinkleptir wrote:Hi im new here and thought this would be a good place to ask about Fto's.
Are they a reliable car, what is the best model and mileage on tank.
I'm dying to buy one but cant seem to find anyone that owns this particular car to ask the above questions.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Welcome.

A grey car, but our opinions are a little bias. Like any car, it is bound to have its good and bad points. And given their treatment, you will find some horrors on the road. So be careful.

Other then that, have a browse, use the search and you will be fine.

A few members are pondering sales at the moment, but are looking at the high end of the marked due to condition.
I just had to add it ......
sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
:utbnb:
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

WTTC :D .
What $$$$ are you looking at spending?
pinkleptir
Apprentice

Post by pinkleptir »

not to interested in grey :lol: i like black, but it has to be shiney....looking at spending about $5000, is that to much or to little to spend? Been watching them on ebay and some go for about $3500 for a 95 model so hopefully i'll grab one of those bargains.
Not in a rush to buy can hold out till next feb but after seeing pics on here i want one NOW :D :cry:
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Hi everyone

Post by bass_twitch »

$5000 is probably too little. You may be lucky though...
pinkleptir
Apprentice

Post by pinkleptir »

bass_twitch wrote:$5000 is probably too little. You may be lucky though...
Really....F**k, i don't need it modded and stuff i'll attempt that myself or get my b/f to do it :lol:
Do the cars drive fast?? i want to kick his ass, he drives a liberty, will it beat that?
Gholdwayne
Oldtimer

Post by Gholdwayne »

Is the liberty turbo? the FTO might not be able to beat it - not sure...

It has good power, and great looks.

If you want a good stock FTO in good condition, that can range from 9,000-15,000...
97 GPX Icelle Blue

I cant stop driving her!
...and when im not, im looking at her!
... ...and when im not, im freakin thinking about her!

FTO[For The Orgasm]
like For The Win!, but more hardcore...
pinkleptir
Apprentice

Post by pinkleptir »

Nah its not turbo but it does go real fast, it absolutely smashes past the turbos...so prob not then :(

I'm watching an FTO on ebay atm...can you tell me if it's a good deal.
Thanks
pinkleptir
Apprentice

Post by pinkleptir »

Gholdwayne
Oldtimer

Post by Gholdwayne »

I get the feeling the owner of the car is a member / ex-member here...

Cant tell really, if it is good or bad from an ebay page...

Make sure you bring a mechanic to inspect it... It is a must.. Take your time with it! Dont let your eagerness and excitedness defeat you :lol:
97 GPX Icelle Blue

I cant stop driving her!
...and when im not, im looking at her!
... ...and when im not, im freakin thinking about her!

FTO[For The Orgasm]
like For The Win!, but more hardcore...
shadowarrior
Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

Welcome to the forums pinkleptir.

I am on the lookout for a FTO around the same price as well. Have a read here, this should help you in choosing a good FTO.
http://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8085

Be careful about Body Rust, specially on the roof. I have been told that pre 97 models have roof rust, which to fix can cost at least a grand. Look for cars which has a service history.

I'll agree with Gholdwayne, "take your time. Don't let your eagerness and excitedness defeat you." :)
Last edited by shadowarrior on Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pinkleptir
Apprentice

Post by pinkleptir »

Thanks i'll have look through the article. Yeah I'm not in a rush i like money to much and limit my spending. Will definitely keep an eye out for this roof rusting when i go looking.

thanks
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Hold out till next feb and if you have the $$ get a nice post 97 GPX or GPR :D
My 98 GPR was 10k, but was a pretty good steal considering the model, mods already on it and condition of the car - i have had not 1 thing go wrong with it since ing day last year! (ok i lie, one belt went on the highway - power steering but i knew about it when i bought the car and it was a 5min fix and like 30 bucks)
Just need to find yourself a nice FTO base to start from and go from there, which is why you might need to double that 5k if you want something your not going to spend another 5 getting up to condition anyway - just my 2 cents :D

oh - ant WTTC :lol:
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

Welcome
Taz wrote:When funds allow
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

pinkleptir wrote:not to interested in grey :lol: i like black, but it has to be shiney....looking at spending about $5000, is that to much or to little to spend? Been watching them on ebay and some go for about $3500 for a 95 model so hopefully i'll grab one of those bargains.
Not in a rush to buy can hold out till next feb but after seeing pics on here i want one NOW :D :cry:
Damn u autocorrect. :lol:

Should have been Great.

But yeah, there are a lot of FTO's on the cheap. U then have to worry about buying someone's problems. Have you thought of importing one through an agent?
I just had to add it ......
sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
:utbnb:
pinkleptir
Apprentice

Post by pinkleptir »

rock_it wrote:
pinkleptir wrote:not to interested in grey :lol: i like black, but it has to be shiney....looking at spending about $5000, is that to much or to little to spend? Been watching them on ebay and some go for about $3500 for a 95 model so hopefully i'll grab one of those bargains.
Damn you autocorrect. :lol:

Should have been Great.

But yeah, there are a lot of FTO's on the cheap. you then have to worry about buying someone's problems. Have you thought of importing one through an agent?

Yeah i was looking at importing one, import, docking fees etc would only be $1500 so it is an option. The cars in Japan are nicely done up and look sooooooo sexy.
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

pinkleptir wrote:
rock_it wrote:

Should have been Great.

But yeah, there are a lot of FTO's on the cheap. you then have to worry about buying someone's problems. Have you thought of importing one through an agent?

Yeah i was looking at importing one, import, docking fees etc would only be $1500 so it is an option. The cars in Japan are nicely done up and look sooooooo sexy.
except you will need to return the car to stock for compliancing,
shipping insurance
import tax
GST
stamp duty
rego

on top of that a lot of them can not be imported,
especially the later models, due to safety requirements, i.e. post 97 passenger side airbags are required, therefore only ftos with the optional passenger side airbag can be imported
or anything that's had an accident, regardless if repaired or not
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

8O mines a late 98 model and doesnt have the passenger airbag lol, just the driver's.
Got the compliance plate saying it's all good and everything :lol: wtf
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
pinkleptir
Apprentice

Post by pinkleptir »

BorepYano wrote:
pinkleptir wrote:
rock_it wrote:

Should have been Great.

except you will need to return the car to stock for compliancing,
shipping insurance
import tax
GST
stamp duty
rego

on top of that a lot of them can not be imported,
especially the later models, due to safety requirements, i.e. post 97 passenger side airbags are required, therefore only ftos with the optional passenger side airbag can be imported
or anything that's had an accident, regardless if repaired or not

yeah it had all those options minus the rego and gst. Wasn't told the car had to be return to stock for compliance issues. Damn was looking at a really nice car over there as well. Guess i'll just keep looking in Australia as i'm willing to catch a plane and drive back to NSW or get shipped from one state to another. Thanks for the heads up. :)