Brakes

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

J1
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Brakes

Post by J1 »

Can anyone recommend decent front disc brakes for the FTO? The standard ones are pathetic.
Jono
Mechanic

Post by Jono »

rotors? pads? or brake kits?

jono
Jono
Mechanic

Post by Jono »

ive got DBA gold and Bendix metals on,
they deffinatly Stop pretty well....
maybe its your rotors and pads combo
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

yeah like Jono i use DBA gold rotors, but i use endless brake pads. I had the pads before the rotosr, & I notice the different during high speed braking after i change the rotor.

Like Jono said rotor & pad combo r very important, I would suggest u should try changing pad first, cause from experience pad does more than the rotor! Unless u rotor are already warp!!
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

how much did the DBA gold rotors cost
Jono
Mechanic

Post by Jono »

the two prices i got last year were

DBA425 available in cross drilled $123

DBA425 slotted rotors for $92.40

a month later the price went up, but i dunno how much..

jono

ps this is from discpads.com
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

I got mine around $130 each at the start of this yr!

ohh the price is 4 the cross drilled one.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

it all depends on how much you can afford as well... you can go from DBA with decent performance anywhere up to the mega-expensive Brembo/Wilwood kits that is used purely for cars with mega mumbo and full-on racing.

i'm currently trying to source out the entire Brembo kit from the front of an Evo V. wreck in Japan and then swap the OEM fronts to the back.

Works out cheaper than buying a Brembo aftermarket kit (but more expensive than DBAs naturally), but hey at least you know they REALLY WORK!
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

What are the offset on your rims? Correct me if I'm wrong but you may need spacers to fit the Brembo's on? I'm pretty sure their calipers are a lot bigger than FTO OEM.

Not sure if you would require all that braking power but they would look awesome though. I think there are a couple of FTOs in the UK that have done the Brembo conversion.

Let us know how you go!
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

well considering the rims on the Evo Vs are 17x7.5, i'd say their Brembo brakes will fit snuggly inside my rims (or at least that's what I'm suspecting anyway)
Jono
Mechanic

Post by Jono »

just found out by mechainic that metal's eat the rotors, sooo time to change pads, ummm

whats the part number for endless pads?

has anyone tried normal EBC and Greenstuff ebc?

jono
Jono
Mechanic

Post by Jono »

also, wats the part number for rear pads? bendix, endless EBC

Jono
salacious
Grease Monkey

Post by salacious »

D-TRAIN wrote:What are the offset on your rims? Correct me if I'm wrong but you may need spacers to fit the Brembo's on? I'm pretty sure their calipers are a lot bigger than FTO OEM.

Not sure if you would require all that braking power but they would look awesome though. I think there are a couple of FTOs in the UK that have done the Brembo conversion.
I have Kahn RSR 17x8" with a 35 offset. I got my Brembo's a couple of weeks ago and Tony Banton who does the kit send me a sheet with dimensions for fitting. It should fit on most 17" alloys, he was considering doing a 16" kit if there was enough interest.

I personally didn't have a good time with the standard GPX calipers. In a year a caliper bolt broke on the drivers side and then the passenger caliper stop working properly which stuffed by brake discs. It may of been an expensive upgrade but it don't expect it to go wrong.

Brian
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

I've heard (maybe it was on these forums) that a lot of imported cars tend to have rusted calliper bolts, probably due to the shipping process.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
elmo
Grease Monkey

brakes

Post by elmo »

OK so I got DBA slotted fronts. Don't think they are the GOLD ones but maybe. $138 each, extra $55 for cross drilled but thats only for show they reckon, so i din't go that way.
As for PADS, EBC Green stuff, Fast Road pads. $165 set. Fitted it all myself, peice of piss.
Sound a bit chunky and grindy sometimes but usually when cold. They never squeel and produce very little dust.
But shiet to they smell after a really good run.
Would highly recommend them over the standard but haven't driven anything else, so thats just my opinion.
Jono
Mechanic

Post by Jono »

part numbers?

jono
elmo
Grease Monkey

brakes

Post by elmo »

DBA 425 SR
DBA 425 SL
Think they have a D in front of the S for drilled. They are the gold ones, just painted silver, apparently they come in different colours but they didn't tell me that. prob more expensive.
cant find the packet for the pads. Think i got the original part numbers off the WA site and just went in and asked for em.
They came back and said "they were for a magna right?"
"nah FTO but must be the same" Think the pads are not off magna though??
Austin
Apprentice

Post by Austin »

i had to fix my caliper bolts as they where siezed, it was a piece of piss, took em out, grinded em back a little so they was smooth again, new caliper grease and then had the rotors machined, felt bloody brilliant after that!!!
Easy was to tell is if you get a fair amount of shudder when braking and the pads are warn unevenly.

Brent
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

sbe888 -
Buying some good quality brake pads can make a big difference and is probably the cheapest option available.
A pad like EBC Greenstuff has got some good reviews from a few members on here.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts