Stock ECU Remap possible

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Rob Furniss
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Stock ECU Remap possible

Post by Rob Furniss »

Just been done in the UK, might be a good solution for people who don't need extra features of a standalone ecu but want to alter their fuelling and ignition timing and or remove the speed limit, raise the rev limit or change the mivec point etc.
I will be watching with interest anyway.
Bennoz
National President

Re: Stock ECU Remap possible

Post by Bennoz »

Got a link Rob? I got an OC account.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Sure mate, it's Richard Batty that's cracked it:
http://www.ftooc.org/forum/showthread.p ... -ECU-Remap

I'm guessing that he's working with NR Autosport as he has a unit next to them and they do his engine builds and high powered EVO's and the like.
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Stock ECU Remap possible

Post by bass_twitch »

Hmm feel like sharing the info with us non-oc folk? :lol:
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Oops - sorry.

I don't know too much about it yet other than it's Richard Batty that's posted on FTOOC (the guy with the 950bhp evo powered FTO, I think he has a GPX too).
I know he's been working on it for a while and is now able to change fuelling, ignition timing, remove the 180KM speed limit, raise the rev limit (although I guess you would need better valve springs - guess), change the mivec point.
He's using EVOscan and a "special" cable.
This is only on certain ecu's so far, facelift GPX ones in a plastic case or something.

He's doing more testing and hoping to compare results on a rolling road before Christmas.
Sorry don't know much more.
I do know though that it wasn't a simple matter or plugging in the cable, loading up evoscan, change a few values and and hey presto, I think he's had to verify the data coming out of evoscan somehow unless he was just being thorough.
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Stock ECU Remap possible

Post by bass_twitch »

Hmm so potentially you can make the Fto rev to 10k, like that dude selling the 'show car' claimed his could do? :lol:
Iv also wondered about this, but the cost would probably end up around the same as a piggyback wouldn't it?
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

I would have thought for a remap that the costs would be a lot cheaper, you don't need to buy a piggyback or standalone ecu or pay installation, the costs are just someones time on the rolling road - you turn up, plug it in and let the tuner do their stuff (if they have evoscan, the correct cable and know what they are doing) - it reflashes the EPROM in the stock ECU or whatever kind of memory it has but not all can be done.

As for raising the rev limit - I don't know enough to comment really but not sure why anyone would want to do this as power and torque are normally dropping by about 7500rpm aren't they?
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Stock ECU Remap possible

Post by bass_twitch »

Rob Furniss wrote: As for raising the rev limit - I don't know enough to comment really but not sure why anyone would want to do this as power and torque are normally dropping by about 7500rpm aren't they?
:lol: I know,
But doesn't it just make you sound more baddass if you can rev almost
As much as a rotary! :lol:
Serious street cred is achieved my redlining at 10 000rpm...
:fail:
phunkydude
Veteran Mechanic

Post by phunkydude »

bass_twitch wrote:
Rob Furniss wrote: As for raising the rev limit - I don't know enough to comment really but not sure why anyone would want to do this as power and torque are normally dropping by about 7500rpm aren't they?
:lol: I know,
But doesn't it just make you sound more baddass if you can rev almost
As much as a rotary! :lol:
Serious street cred is achieved my redlining at 10 000rpm...
:fail:
It won't last with stock internals. You'll need to upgrade to titanium this and that, etc to withstand 10k rpm.
As for power, you'll need custom cam profile to push & increase high end power at 10k rpm.

Will cost you shitloads as everything is custom. No aftermarket shelf products for us.

If you want high revs, better get s2k with f20c go VTEC YO!!!!! and put in some spoon & forks then you'll get 11k rpms goodness.
Storm
Veteran Mechanic

Stock ECU Remap possible

Post by Storm »

We could end up like the Honda guys who swap maps over the web :)
Life is short - Have an affair
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

I think this was always possible, just few people knew how.
I have a Mines VX-ROM ECU which is just a remapped stock ECU
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

I've seen it come up for debate quite a few times with the answer generally being it's read only although someone in the UK said he had had a remap, hadn't heard anyone else confirming it though until Rich B told me he'd done it.
I've heard of the Mines vx rom but didn't realise they were a standard re-flashed ecu.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Yes, just a remapped stock ECU.
Here is mine:
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Rob Furniss wrote:As for raising the rev limit - I don't know enough to comment really but not sure why anyone would want to do this as power and torque are normally dropping by about 7500rpm aren't they?
Don't know about that, mine is pulling hard right to the rev limit (8250rpm). Now that I've got the eMu working a bit better I'm planning to raise the rev limit to 8500rpm.

Agree though you wouldn't get 10K on stock internals :lol:
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Mine feels like it pulls hard too, just thought from RR graphs that there was a power drop at the top.
I might dig out my graphs from the old car and take a look (forced induction though).
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Here's my last graph from the old car before I swapped to a smaller pulley and upped the boost a little.
I would say bhp still climbing at the top end but a slight drop in torque.
It was a safer tune at the top though with 0 igniton advance plus boost naturally dropped a little at the top for some reason (which I thought was a good thing).
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Yeah so that's still making good power and torque to 8150, no reason it couldn't continue beyond, sure it might drop off a little but it's still accelerating. It then comes down to understanding and using your gear ratios for maximum acceleration, but with our cars you generally want to stay in gear as long as possible, hence why I want to go to 8500rpm. Lower gears accelerate faster.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Well, despite being for a different car/ engine, the RVRs had a remappable ecu,
provided you removed the chip, put in a seat then with an eprom could do your own maps and load it.
One of the guys on 4GT was doing it for the RVR guys.

I don't see why the FTOs would be different really...
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Shane001 wrote:Yeah so that's still making good power and torque to 8150, no reason it couldn't continue beyond, sure it might drop off a little but it's still accelerating. It then comes down to understanding and using your gear ratios for maximum acceleration, but with our cars you generally want to stay in gear as long as possible, hence why I want to go to 8500rpm. Lower gears accelerate faster.
Does anything else special need to be done for higher revs like balanced crank etc?
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Well I think it depends how high you're going to rev it :lol:

Like I said earlier I highly doubt stock internals could handle 10K.

But 8500rpm is not far off stock redline, and I would expect Mitsubishi has built in a little tolerance, so I'm expecting 8500rpm will be fine. My only concern is that there may be a lip on the cylinder wall due to the engine only ever being revved to 8200, which could cause ring failure if the rods stretch enough under the additional load for this to be a problem. My engine has done 160K kms lol!

Luckily I have a spare in the garage ready to go in though ;)