Oil Pressure/Temp Guage - Sandwich plate?

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

spetz
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Oil Pressure/Temp Guage - Sandwich plate?

Post by spetz »

Hi guys,

So I've done a search and it seems every thread about installing an oil pressure/temperature gauge states that a sandwich plate is necessary.
Is this definitely the case, or is this the easiest way out?
I mean, surely there must be an oil gallery on the block which has a bolt in it which can be used? Or not??
Bennoz
National President

Re: Oil Pressure/Temp Guage - Sandwich plate?

Post by Bennoz »

If you find out Spetz let me know. I started trawling for this info a while back, but my train of thought was taken elsewhere (probably a gearbox blowing up lol.)

If you recall, the FTO at least, had an oil temp gauge as an optional extra. It tooks its reading from a special type of sump plug (I know a few guys are asked for pics from the wreck for sale thread, as its got one in it.)

As far as pressure goes, I was talking to some of the guys on ozvr4 & they've been able to tap off the oil pump itself. It sits in behind & to the right of the harmonic balance. By default it has a pressure sender in it, but its used for the low oil warning light on the dash. I dont know if its capable of feeding useful information into a gauge. Apparently guys have been able to tee off that sender & put another in there to do the gauge readings. The only issue with that area is that its very tight & also right in the middle of the PS / AC belt circuit, so a good snapped belt could well take it out & potentially your oil pressure...
Attachments
DSC00661.jpg
DSC00662.jpg
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Another alternative, use a 6A13 factory oil filter relocation plate & run a sandwich plate with plenty of room. The reason they move the filter on the 6A13 is because the front turbo makes it impossible to get at if it was screwed direct onto the block, like it is on the 6A12. Here's a pic of my setup (my sandwich plate is used for an oil cooler though, not for gauges.) I ended up sawpping that Z411 filter for a Z445 as it was not quite as long.

Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Bennoz wrote:As far as pressure goes, I was talking to some of the guys on ozvr4 & they've been able to tap off the oil pump itself. It sits in behind & to the right of the harmonic balance. By default it has a pressure sender in it, but its used for the low oil warning light on the dash. I dont know if its capable of feeding useful information into a gauge. Apparently guys have been able to tee off that sender & put another in there to do the gauge readings. The only issue with that area is that its very tight & also right in the middle of the PS / AC belt circuit, so a good snapped belt could well take it out & potentially your oil pressure...
I'm looking at using this one also, replacing the dash light sensor with an oil pressure guage sensor, but yeah little bit concerned about the belt, but that might be going soon anyway :idea: :D

I had a bit of a look on my spare engine just last weekend, there doesn't appear to be anywhere else on the block itself that could be used :(
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Shane001 wrote:
Bennoz wrote:As far as pressure goes, I was talking to some of the guys on ozvr4 & they've been able to tap off the oil pump itself. It sits in behind & to the right of the harmonic balance. By default it has a pressure sender in it, but its used for the low oil warning light on the dash. I dont know if its capable of feeding useful information into a gauge. Apparently guys have been able to tee off that sender & put another in there to do the gauge readings. The only issue with that area is that its very tight & also right in the middle of the PS / AC belt circuit, so a good snapped belt could well take it out & potentially your oil pressure...
I'm looking at using this one also, replacing the dash light sensor with an oil pressure guage sensor, but yeah little bit concerned about the belt, but that might be going soon anyway :idea: :D

I had a bit of a look on my spare engine just last weekend, there doesn't appear to be anywhere else on the block itself that could be used :(
Could always drill & tap into the block ;) There are purpose made spots in the block for it, its just that they're not drilled & tapped in non turbo blocks, in the 6A13 for example, they are.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Is drilling and tapping safe? ie, it won't get any shrapnel into the oil galleries?
Out of all those options it still seems like the sandwich plate is the simplest. I remember installing an oil gauge on my friends B16 and it was extremely simple.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Yeah that was more directed at Shane. Not such a task when the motor is out, can pop the sump off & flush any swarf from the drilling out.
clint111
Grease Monkey

Post by clint111 »

Looking at mine, where the oil pressure sensor mounts, directly behind it, but 90* is another threaded location with a bolt in place when not in use.
Why not mount temp sensor there?
That's my plan.
Will add a photo later.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

For a temp sensor I'd think it would really need to be below the surface of the oil (ie in the sump), otherwise it's not going to be a very accurate reading. It might be possible to drill and tap it there for pressure though, provided that spot is under pressure.
AJ
Oldtimer

Post by AJ »

Schumie had some plates made up in NZ. I bought one off him when he first got to Oz and had a mechanic fit a pressure gauge and temp gauge using that. Never had a problem.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Clint can you post pics up please? And let us know if you manage to use that for oil pressure?
clint111
Grease Monkey

Post by clint111 »

You mean temp..
Yep will get a pic up tomorrow night.
Can't see a problem, being that to get a pressure reading from the same spot, it clearly has a constant supply of oil to that gallery..
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Isn't there an oil gallery right on the middle top stud of the rear exhaust manifold?
clint111
Grease Monkey

Post by clint111 »

You guys who haven't had your engine out, probably haven't noticed this location, as i noticed today, it is hiding behind your air con compressor and bracket, one of the first unnecessary things I removed...
The grub screw with the allen head.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Yep, its a simple pressure switch, but you can run a proper sender out from there. I ordered one last week.

Probably should have read this thread earlier :lol:
clint111
Grease Monkey

Post by clint111 »

The thread, Ben, was about where to fit another pressure sensor, or temp sensor.
The mentioned allen grub screw, accesses the same gallery as the pressure switch in the pic.
My pressure switch will be replaced with a full scale sensor, and the grub screw will make way for a full scale temp sensor, both feeding the ecu, and in turn, via CAN, the AiM dash.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

So the allen screw can be removed and a pressure/temperature sensor fitted?
Is this possible while the air con compressor is in place?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

clint111 wrote:The thread, Ben, was about where to fit another pressure sensor, or temp sensor.
The mentioned allen grub screw, accesses the same gallery as the pressure switch in the pic.
My pressure switch will be replaced with a full scale sensor, and the grub screw will make way for a full scale temp sensor, both feeding the ecu, and in turn, via CAN, the AiM dash.
Yep too easy. I was doing a similar thing, except using the sump sender for temp.

My only concern was that the pressure sender I've got coming is larger than the factory unit pictured there & may foul on the belt circuit, so I may have to run a couple of brass adaptors to move it out of the way a little.
clint111
Grease Monkey

Post by clint111 »

Fit whilst ac comp in place, no idea, but likely not. May have to do as Ben suggests, and use a brass elbow to angle it to clear.
I may need to do the same with the pressure sensor in factory spot, as my replacement full range sensor, when i get one, is also likely to be bigger than factory, although I have NO belts on front of engine as yet.
Think i may need mount alternator near clutch slave, and run a shaft/belt setup to spin it.
Alternatively, any suitable elec motor available to run the alternator, that anyone may be aware of?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Didn't need an elbow, there's actually quite a bit of room to move there :)

Unfortunately those of us that have an AC compressor wont be able to use that allen grub screw, its blocked by the compressor.