subbies.... amps... HELP me...

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

ruchi
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by ruchi »

Matching the Infinity speakers and sub with an Infinity amp would make sense from an audio "tuning" perspective. I can vouch for Scracy's setup, the sound is very accurate and the bass very clean, unlike some other systems I've seen in FTO's which are full of wank-factor and doof doof bass that bottoms out. :roll:
MIVEC is My Friend :D
ANBU_fto
Mechanic

Post by ANBU_fto »

lol
i feel you dude

yea i think i will stick with infinity, because we have a home entertainment thing with ike infinity speakers and they do fine...
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Yep i can vouch for Scracy's system too, but just remember like Scracy said, u got to have deep pocket too. :wink:

Ohhh & don't go for the Reference series, just stick with the Kappa or Kappa Perfect.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
ANBU_fto
Mechanic

Post by ANBU_fto »

kekekaka
when u say deep pockets, how deep u talking about?
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Scracy's whole audio system retail around $8-9K, so is up 2 your bargaining power to bring it down.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

Actually not quite that deep Kev,whole system was about $5K which is still a lot of money but like i said depends on what you want.I didnt want tv screens xbox etc just great sound quality,everybody is different :D
<P>HKSFTO-most published fto in aust.</P>
ANBU_fto
Mechanic

Post by ANBU_fto »

kekekaka
well i got a pocket of 4k, but i dont want like the xbox and stuff
will 4k be enuf?
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

Yeah $4K should be plenty what exactly have you allready got?
Last edited by scracy on Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ANBU_fto
Mechanic

Post by ANBU_fto »

koolies,
oh damit i just had a question.... bah!!! just lost it!!
oh yea can i put like my subby in the middle seat thing? does anybody get me? like cut a hole out of the middle seat and chuck the sub there, is that a good idea???
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

don't take this the wrong way, but do you want to do that for looks or for sound quality?

also remember that doing this will leave a big hole if you want to remove the sub (e.g. if you sell the car but keep your stereo system).
ANBU_fto
Mechanic

Post by ANBU_fto »

none taken

sorta both, but it was just a thought that just popped in my head thats all... but im leaning more on the quality
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

You could but since bass is far less directional than treble why not just buy a prefabricated sealed 1 cubic foot enclosure for the sub and mount it in the boot? Would save a packet on installation costs and the 12'' kappa sub is ideally suited to a 1 cubic foot enclosure.Sealed enclosures give tighter bass than vented but not as deep,which would you prefer? A aeropro 12" sealed 1 cubic foot enclosure are only about $80 from autobarn and work very well with the kappa sub,thats all i have.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

well it's really not going to add to the sound quality.

Personally I think it looks really wanky and also increases the risks of someone breaking into your car to steal your equipment. (sorry to those who have done this, but it's just my personal opinion).

While I agree with Scracy on using an enclosure, my personal preference would be to go for a ported enclosure that helps to emphasise the lower frequencies. This is purely a personal preference in tonalities and not a question of quality. :wink:

However, if going for a ported enclosure you first want an idea of the frequency response of the sub and to know the resonant frequency of the enclosure and the tuned frequency of the port. If done properly a ported enclosure can help to emphasis the lower frequencies, if done poorly you'll get a bright spot in your bass and it will sound crappy. :roll: If you're unable to get this information, go for a fully sealed / unported enclosure as this will be a safer bet.
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

One of the many good things about Infinty is that enclosure info is available from their web site and can be downloaded,sealed or ported the info is there.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

I think someone need to show him some pictures or the poor guy wouldn't know what u guys mean. :wink:
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

quite simply a "ported" enclosure has a hole in it (probably around 2" wide). It works in a similar manner to how a hole in a guitar works to "tune" the natural frequency of the enclosure to emphase a particular tone.

It's a bit like knocking on your head with your mouth open or mouth closed :P (vivid enough?)
ANBU_fto
Mechanic

Post by ANBU_fto »

FTO338 wrote:I think someone need to show him some pictures or the poor guy wouldn't know what u guys mean. :wink:
yea thanks, i feel like a little person here. i dont know whats happening...
kekekaka i feel so lost... :?
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

This is a ported enclosure (equivilant of knocking on your head with your mouth open :P).

In this particular case the the speaker is facing forward and the port is in the rear of the enclosure.

ANBU_fto
Mechanic

Post by ANBU_fto »

oh... koolies

i think the sub that im getting has a box like that
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

ruchi wrote:...unlike some other systems I've seen in FTO's which are full of wank-factor and doof doof bass that bottoms out. :roll:
oi, are you saying my system is full of wank??! :evil: :x