wheel alignment

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

wheel alignment

Post by G_A_V »

hey dudes, I rotated my tyres the other day, cause they were bald as on thefton (stupid directionals only allowed me to change them from the back to front) but anyways thew steering wheel seems to drift a little to one side is htis normal, would a wheel alignment correct this ?
also does any body have trouble with tourque steering when launching ? i usually have to grab the wheel as hard as i can and hope for the best, i dunno how danny boy copes he must need like a steeringwheel lock for launches !
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

even on mild mods (exhaust + filter) i am having problems coping with 3500rpm launches coz it's already torque-steering like a bithc, especially on wet roads...

if i were you, i'd replace the tyres, not swap them around from both ends... it'll work out cheaper in the end.
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

i would replace the tyres, but im saving for rims, so im gunna try make these last, if worste comes to worste i have another car to drive till then
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

On front wheel drive cars, the front tyres always wear a lot more than the rear. I don't rotate my tyres, I replace them when they are getting bald.

If you swap your balding tyres to the rear, you run the risk of the rear of the car stepping out when you go around a corner and you may spin out.
This would occur most often whilst wet as the back of the car is quite light (no engine above back wheels).

Of course if your tyres need replacing you won't pass a rego inspection no matter where they are on the car until you have replaced them.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

why not just get the wheels now?? do you have anything in mind, or do you need us to decide for you? :wink:
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

If you are changing the SIZE of your rims, I would get everything at once rather than buy some tyres that you won't use for very long. If you have the cash I would get this ASAP so you aren't driving round on bad tyres (don't want to smash the car before the new rims are on).

M@
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

hehehe, yeah im getting bigger boots, so no use buying new wheels, i have a few wheels in mind but i done have the cash yet. not for another 4 weeks or so at least.
they tyres are not that bad, i mean i just had rego passed with them, they are worn on the inside, i get thatp prob all the time with bluddy fwd cars then i rotate them and they even out again, i though u are supposed to rotate the tyres every 5000kms any ways ? cause i prob only had these tyres for abotu that lol
OH and last night i was so excited i actually smoked em up ! lol i know i shouldnt cause i need the tyres for another few weeks, but i couldnt help it after 2fast 2 furious ! lol and like i have spun the wheels this time, but this time i was like doing a u turn and i just hit the accclerator and i had smoke going every where ! didnt know it was possible in a fwd car !
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

Generally, tyre rotation is every 10k kms. Though they can be done anytime you feel like it =)

If the insides of your tyres get worn too quick, get your camber checked =P
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

The FTO camber is factory pre-set and cannot be changed without a camber/castor kit.
Only thing that can be adjusted is the toe-in.

M@
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

damn, and i was gonna get some negative camber dialled in for my wheels this weekend... :(

...how much do the camber kits cost roughly, anyone know?
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

*nods* but if the suspension has had damage for some reason, it might be out =P

Insides don't generally rub that bad =P Even with some negative on the car =P
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

O2NV - Whiteline sells anti-lift/dive, and camber/castor kits for the FTO

check out:

http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/bullet ... KCA412.pdf

M@