Cheap Speed?

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

ObsidianRadio
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Cheap Speed?

Post by ObsidianRadio »

No, I'm not a drug addict...

My FTO's beautiful and all...But I'm going to need some serious vroom sometime soon!

My previous car was a 5.0L V8 pulling in excess of 270kw so I'm not expecting anything measurable to that but my motor's currently stock standard, I don't wish to go turbo for both financial and legal reasons (P plates) but trying to get to 100km/h on a freeway is bloody hard...It lacks the guts I need!

What can I do to this motor for minimal cost to at least get a little bit of power when i put my foot down?

4spd 'tronic V6...1995 GR. COME AT ME BRO!

:D
Jack

Livin' the Slow Life. 1997 GP Version-R | 1995 GS/GR Version-SparkleFairy
http://www.facebook.com/SlowLifeAU
phi-tec
Veteran Mechanic

Re: Cheap Speed?

Post by phi-tec »

haha wttc! well as most would say 'if you're looking for speed (power) then the fto was a bad choice)

i see uv already got a pod. mivec engine conv.. if u wanted? (20kw diff on stats)
otherwise id suggest, extractors/exhaust, not much else you could do without forking out a shitload in which case u might as well as bought a gpx etc.
good luck
You have the right to remain silent, anything you do say will be quoted and used against you
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Couple of quick things, bin that intake pipe, grab a couple of 90 degree 3 inch silicone bends & a bit of steel pipe to make up something more free flowing.

Secondly, get the exhaust sorted. Directly below the motor where to the 2 banks of headers meetup is what we call the 'collector' or 'Y' pipe. Its a head on smash for the exhaust gasses & very restrictive. We bin that & get new sections made up. From there back, we up the whole tail section size from 2.25" to 2.5" and put high flow kit in there, such as a high flow cat, resonator & muffler. That alone will give you a quick 15-20 killerwasps.

Moving on from there, if it were me, I'd bin the slush box... its heavy & eats up a further 10kws.

Then start looking at a piggyback ECU & tune, another 10-15 kws there.

That's when you run into a bit of a brickwall though... not much else you can do from here without spending big bucks on hairdryers.
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

:lol: at op,
Mate if you are struggling to get to 100km/hr on the freeway you are doing it wrong.

You want serious power? Wait till you are off your ps and buy a turbo/etc faster car.
You want a seriously powered Fto? = $$$
You want a zippy, fun car? Do the mods Bennoz mentioned above and just enjoy it for what it is.

Disclaimer: iv never driven a tip gr, so if they really ARE that slow, then maybe consider a sale and upgrade?
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

bass_twitch wrote::lol: at op,

Disclaimer: iv never driven a tip gr, so if they really ARE that slow, then maybe consider a sale and upgrade?
+1

As the old saying goes.. "You can't polish a turd"

I don't mean to be harsh, but these cars are not known for speed. I love my FTO for what it is, but know there are a lot of faster machines.. Which is why I ride 1000cc motorbikes, and have my Evo..

The FTO is a nice looking car that handles great and has good fuel economy.. If you want anymore then wait till u are off your P's..
I just had to add it ......
sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
:utbnb:
Eltnot
Mechanic

Post by Eltnot »

Looking at your other thread, those speakers in the boot won't be doing you any favours either.
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Im sorry i must be the only one who has noticed.
You say you dont want to turbo because of legal reasons and your on your p's.
V8's and anything over 200kw is illegal too...so....why the sudden change of heart?
The 6a12 is not a fast engine by your standards and i would suggest saving up for a conversion IF you are set on the fto.
6a13tt or 4g63 would be the go - and you have till your off your p's to save
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

It all depends on price.
Being a non-MIVEC engine you could put in a 2.5L bottom end in it without difficulty, and then in time upgrade the cams, so you'd have a 2.5L DOHC.
As already mentioned, a manual gearbox will make a world of difference too
BearOnFire
Grease Monkey

Post by BearOnFire »

You can channel air from below the indicator( mould PVC pipe with heat gun to a rectangular shape) then connect a air pipe to the filter. With pods,more free flowing air, the better.

WTTC :)
A stoke of luck or a gift from god?
The hand of fate or devil claws?
mattman
Grease Monkey

Post by mattman »

having a manual mivec fto i don't have a problem with power :)
FTO ftw
ObsidianRadio
Oldtimer

Post by ObsidianRadio »

Taz wrote:You say you dont want to turbo because of legal reasons and your on your p's.
V8's and anything over 200kw is illegal too...so....why the sudden change of heart?
Yeah about that...I lost my license which was still on SA's old laws, enabling P platers who acquire their Provisional license before September 2011 to be exempt from the high powered vehicle restrictions...I got my license back on a safer driver agreement, however I've been referred to the new laws and power restrictions!
Jack

payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

I don't care if you have super duper Mivec nothing really is going to give you a feeling of a motor 2.5 larger.
illmotion
Grease Monkey

Post by illmotion »

Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

Expensive piece of sh*t actually.
Taz wrote:When funds allow
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

i know a way, it involves a holesaw and a bonnet.
adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

hey man i got the same thing happening myns just got a exhaust/extractors and its pretty quick when i put the cai on it will be bit quicker prob get it tunned but its enough power and its a street car to much power is dangerous whats the point u can only go the speed limit anyway

but my GR is a manual maybe could do a conversion from what i read yours is an auto? but not really worth it man just love the car for what it is
Last edited by adzski on Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ObsidianRadio
Oldtimer

Post by ObsidianRadio »

Just got it tuned and it's made a HUGE difference...So much better!!! I actually have throttle response now...

I'm having it dyno tested next week when the alternator's fixed and I'll see what the output is...
Jack

Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Being an Auto GR, dont expect anything over 100kw
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
ObsidianRadio
Oldtimer

Post by ObsidianRadio »

How much money will i be forking out if i wanted a manual convrsion? I'm talking transmission, labour...The lot! If i have an idea of how much, could be a possible investment...
Jack

adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

I really have no idea man but id imagine it would be exspensive I'm sure some one.can.answer it, maybe around a 1000 or more don't really no

This guy just done the conversion I'm.sure If you messaged him he'd tell u the cost

http://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25142