supercharged????

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

CHR15
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

supercharged????

Post by CHR15 »

hey guys this has prolly come up before i do remember reading on here about them but i don't know. i got a mivec engine and i was thinking about bolting a supercharger to it just to be alil different. now i'm wondering what the con's would but in doing this as its something i'm not very clued on with???
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Re: supercharged????

Post by Rob Furniss »

The cons:
You may end up with a smile on your face that you can't get rid of and end up looking like the Joker from Batman - could be bad.
Will cost you a little more in fuel - depends how often you are on boost.

Really depends what you are comparing to though, do you mean cons compared to turboing?
CHR15
Grease Monkey

Post by CHR15 »

lol the fuel bill and extra big smile i'm not bothered with. after owning an 02 wrx i'm use to it and now itching to have a boosted car again. i may have worded it wrong, i mean more so like extra parts, tune, can the engine handle it or do i need internal work ummm yeah. i've just been watching some vids on youtube about people that have done it but they don't really explain much
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

^ Rob has done it in the UK and is currently doing in WA, AU He has a thread in the turbo build section.
Taz wrote:When funds allow
Eltnot
Mechanic

Post by Eltnot »

Was it really to hard to click search and type in "supercharge"?
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Low boost up to about 7.5psi we know is safe without having to rip your engine apart and lowering compression or putting in forged conrods and pistons.
I'm going for just over 8psi this time still on the standard internals, think it should be ok.
If you plan on much more boost than that then yes you will need to lower the compression ratio and prob fit forged conrods and pistons.

Pros:
It's cheaper than turboing IMO (well depending which route you take)
Instant boost no lag
The sound is awesome and very unique (high pitch sound)

Cons:
The charger itself takes a few killowats to power it, not much but still some so detracts from your output.
Have to get the alignment of the pulleys spot on or you will throw belts often - I threw a couple in the first two weeks (well they walked off), made adjustments and never threw a belt again.
I would say there is more mechanical things to go wrong but only bearings in the charger and pulleys - keep an eye on them and it's fine.

I ran it as my daily doing approx 150K's per day for well over a year before selling up and coming to Australia, also dragged it a few times with no problems.
CHR15
Grease Monkey

Post by CHR15 »

what do u think of using an sc14 toyota supercharger? and does the throttle body need to go before the charger??? or can it stay on the standard intake manifold???
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

CHR15 wrote:what do you think of using an sc14 toyota supercharger? and does the throttle body need to go before the charger??? or can it stay on the standard intake manifold???
If the SC14 supercharger is the Ogura one then it's been done in the UK already by a guy called Steve Johnson, he's on the UK forum. I think he did a good job but said that charger doesn't hold boost well at high revs - he will know more than me about it though. If it's a different charger then I don't have a clue, what size engine is it from and what does that engine redline at?

Re the throttle body, I just copied the mini cooper S setup which was throttle body before the charger and then use a bypass valve for off throttle.
CHR15
Grease Monkey

Post by CHR15 »

its coded as an sc14 or 1g-gze. it displaces 1420cc of air per revolution and some specs on the motor its off is, known as a 4a-gze 1587cc, 103kw @ 7200rpm and has 147Nm @ 6000 rpm and a compression of 10.3:1
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

From a quick googling it seems to be the Ogura, in which case Steve Johnson on ftooc.org has fitted one to his fto.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

As you probably know superchargers are belt driven so you've got to really have a good think about where you can fit it inline with the belts or fit it on the other side and run a shaft to it (= expensive).
Steve Johnson mounted his Ogura (from a toyota corolla) down behind the drivers side headlight somewhere.
CHR15
Grease Monkey

Post by CHR15 »

i've just watched a vid of one being mounted in front of the drivers side front wheel. i don't know if this is the same guy your talking about. i mite check out this guy on the ftooc site
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Most probably, there's only 4 supercharged FTO's that i'm aware of (although there could be others) and they were done in this order.
1) Tony Banton from the UK (Rotrex or Vortech - can't remember, mounted around drivers side headlight/aircon pump area) his was the first that i'm aware of and running high boost forged engine, GR.
2) My old one (Eaton M45 from a mini cooper s) GPX Tip (passion red) mounted above the rear rocker cover and driven off a double alternator pulley. New owner lives in the south of England
3) Steve Johnson from the UK (Ogura charger from a toyota corolla) GPX manual I think, or maybe version r manual (it's white) he's still on FTOOC.
4) Dazzjb from the UK (Eaton M45 from a mercedes mounted in a similar position to mine but running off a double alternator tensioner pulley). He just got it up and running before the UK winter set it and still got more tinkering to do, he's still on FTOOC.
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

Rob Furniss wrote:Most probably, there's only 4 supercharged FTO's that i'm aware of (although there could be others) and they were done in this order.
1) Tony Banton from the UK (Rotrex or Vortech - can't remember, mounted around drivers side headlight/aircon pump area) his was the first that i'm aware of and running high boost forged engine, GR.
2) My old one (Eaton M45 from a mini cooper s) GPX Tip (passion red) mounted above the rear rocker cover and driven off a double alternator pulley. New owner lives in the south of England
3) Steve Johnson from the UK (Ogura charger from a toyota corolla) GPX manual I think, or maybe version r manual (it's white) he's still on FTOOC.
4) Dazzjb from the UK (Eaton M45 from a mercedes mounted in a similar position to mine but running off a double alternator tensioner pulley). He just got it up and running before the UK winter set it and still got more tinkering to do, he's still on FTOOC.
You forgot Bennoz, who used his supercharger to blow up his engine! :lol:
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Oh yeah I did forget Bennoz, he gave me the idea to mount the Eaton M45 over the rear bank.
clint111
Grease Monkey

Post by clint111 »

With the inability to hold decent boost pressure..
It may be to do with the change in engine efficiency when the it switches to the hi lift cam, mivec.
Therefore, a non mivec motor likely wouldn't experience the same problem?

Possible solution: have the charger geared to produce more boost than you want, ie 12 psi, then use a pressure relief valve (modified blow off valve?) to bleed off the excess that you don't want, with that excess routed back to inlet pipe between filter and tb. Maybe?
That's what im thinking if I charge mine.
Think i will fit an eaton mp62 on a custom inlet, mounted between the banks, top and centre, if I do go ahead and charge it.
I currently have both belt drive pulleys on harmonic balancer free, running no belts at all. So I have more options to build a drive belt system.
CHR15
Grease Monkey

Post by CHR15 »

just wondering it i mount the superchager before the throttle body with a front mount intercooler can i use a blow off valve i'n between the intercooler and throttle body???
clint111
Grease Monkey

Post by clint111 »

I think you would need to.
Creating pressure in front of the throttle plate, you will need to be able to dump this excess pressure when the throttle closes, ie at gear change.
The bypass valve in a typical supercharger setup, ie boost after the throttle plate, has its purpose of allowing air to continue on its intake path, yet relieve stress/pressure on the vanes/screws/blades of the supercharger, by opening, and bypassing the compression chamber of the charger.