Sony Headunit problems

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

21mrk
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Sony Headunit problems

Post by 21mrk »

Hi all,

Anyone else had this problem??

I have a sony headunit and it has started to be very selective with the cd's that it will play, It wont play new cd's now, and wont play some old ones..its almost like is says "nope, thats a crap cd..i dont wanna play it :twisted: "

it really sux as its only letting me play 2 cd's out of my collection..if I burn a cd, it will play perfect for a while, then wont play that at all too :| skipping and making weird noises (like jamming)...but again, put back in one of the ones that it likes...and perfect no skipping 8O

FREAKEN WEIRD!!
SilentBob
Mechanic

Post by SilentBob »

well it could be cause sony are crap and awful and lousy and.....
oh wait, thats a different thread
*chuckles*

my suggestions
a)how old is it? could be the laser givin up
b)tried a cd laser cleaner, ive found they usually help in things like this when players start gettin selective on media....
c)fingerprints, scratched etc on the cds? or they all fine?

SilentBob
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

it's a Sony - that's your problem there... LoL *looks at Mil* ;):twisted:
21mrk
Grease Monkey

Post by 21mrk »

no No NO! ooohhhhh i knew it all along :( sony is poo.

I dont wanna buy a new head unit :( Ill give the laser clean a go, but me this has happened to other sonys that I have owned in other cars... :x

as this will probably not work...what headunit do people recomend that has good shock resistance (for bumpy drives) Im open to anything cause I have only really owned sony...except for a panasonic that blew up.
21mrk
Grease Monkey

Post by 21mrk »

oh yeah,:

a) its about a year old
b) havnt cleaned it yet 8O
c) dont matter what condition the cd is in...even new ones dont play. well maybe once..but some older cds still work fine :?
FTOluv
Veteran Mechanic

Post by FTOluv »

LOL! Sony! :lol: *looks at Ruchi*

enough said :D
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

LOL! :lol:

I have never recommended or defended Sony, only that items should be taken on their individual merits not blanketly as a brand.
MIVEC is My Friend :D
deadpool

Post by deadpool »

If the unit is year old, you have a manufacturers warranty for 1year so get it fixed for free! even if it is just out warranty I bet you can get it serviced for free if you bitched to sony :roll:
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

Should have bought pioneer! great value for money and an excellent mechanism thats ultra quiet (quieter than alpine) and handles the bumps with ease. :wink:
<P>HKSFTO-most published fto in aust.</P>
FTOluv
Veteran Mechanic

Post by FTOluv »

Pete is right, Pioneer make some top quality stuff, problem is with Alphine they deliver excellent products but usually overprice them for some reason. :?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i got a panasonic deck and apart from intermittant overheating issues (possibly due to dodgy earthing) i have no probs with bumps either... ;)

oh and it looks l33t with the blue dot matrix display! ;)8)
Slither
Mechanic

Post by Slither »

ever had any probs wuth the laser mikey???

ive been kinda put off panasonic (at least home stuff) because of faulty lasers on 3 seperate occasions, i really like to the blue dot matrix display though!!
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

I had the same pansonic unit as mikey & ruchi in the FTO before, & it plays up after 4-5mths, it won't play certain type of disc, & it reset itself every now & then. Before i had a chance to take it back for warrenty, some dumbass nick the panel, so now i put a VDO one in for the time been until i go back to Hong Kong.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

you might be thinking of someone else, I have a Pioneer unit not a Panasonic
MIVEC is My Friend :D
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i've had my deck for nearly 7 months now and i've always been able to play all types of CDs (except VCDs or DVDs of course :P)....

it's just the overheating issue which is pissing me off, esp when it is being played at high volume for an extended period of time (say 30mins)... only way to overcome this is to flip the front plate open while it's playing so it can 'ventilate' LoL...

maybe the dot matrix display on my head unit looks too hot?? :P8):lol:

ROFL...
SilentBob
Mechanic

Post by SilentBob »

deadpool wrote:If the unit is year old, you have a manufacturers warranty for 1year so get it fixed for free! even if it is just out warranty I bet you can get it serviced for free if you bitched to sony :roll:
You've obvioulsy never tried to deal with sony ;)

gpxx wrote:i got a panasonic deck and apart from intermittant overheating issues (possibly due to dodgy earthing) i have no probs with bumps either...

oh and it looks l33t with the blue dot matrix display!
it is pretty isnt it ;)
ive got the same one and its worked flawlessly since day one

SilentBob
21mrk
Grease Monkey

Post by 21mrk »

cool, thanks for the info. I found a nice pioneer on the weekend..havnt got it yet, but seeing as though everyone says pioneer is good , I am having another think about getting it.

mikey, if i was to search for the panasonic you have to get a pic, what would be the name of it?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

My deck is called the DF983

Details as below:

http://www.panasonic.com.au/catalogue/p ... vision=CDT
deadpool

Post by deadpool »

I am the only person repairing Sony minidisk for whole of Victoria so yeah SilentBob I do deal with Sony :lol: and work for a Sony Service agent here so have seen plenty of work covered under warranty that is out the warranty period and is covered to keep good PR. :P