engine does wanna start, any tips?

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Darith
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

engine does wanna start, any tips?

Post by Darith »

It been i a workshop for a week, i guess the batteries dead. Tried jump starting, but no luck. It was starting before i brought it in. Darith[/b]
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

does it have a passive alarm system???? i know that sounds stupid but sometimes its as simple as that...

will the engine even turn over???? what happens when you turn the key????
Darith
Apprentice

Post by Darith »

You can here the engine wanna kick over but it just doens't
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

Darith wrote:You can here the engine wanna kick over but it just doens't
so it goes tick tick tick tick

ok that's normally battery...

other thing when your car was in ... did they do spark plugs? or anything like that... did they put the leads on in the wrong order if they did plugs....
Darith
Apprentice

Post by Darith »

when they first jump started the car they put the terminal wrong way around on the jumper pack and blew a fuse they replace it.

And it doesn't tick, tick as the key is turn, you can here something spinning but dies out as soon as the key is in off position, i'm not sure if it could be the starter motor.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Can you hear the motor turning too (but not starting) or just the spining?
MIVEC is My Friend :D
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

does the engine turn over at all ?
if i understand your description correctly, its ticking when you stop trying to start it and turn it to the off position for a few seconds, i had the same sort of problem and it was the starter motor.
Options for a starter motor:
*Get a New one from northshore mitsu (around 650 i think)
*Get a 2nd hand one from just jap or any jap wreker (fairly cheap but it is likely to go just like your old one)
*Finally you can recondition your existing one, it cost me 25 all up and many new parts were installed from the magna starter motor
Darith
Apprentice

Post by Darith »

Thanks for info

You can hear the motor turning but not starting, the engine was starting before i put it the workshop, i been there a week and not starting, so i'm not sure if the guys there mess the engine up.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

if the engine is turning over this would suggest that the starter motor is doing it's job. Instead for some reason the engine is not firing up. First look for the most obvious such as immobiliser or kill switch, then move to spark plug leads. Beyond that your car will probably have to be looked at unless anyone else can suggest something.
MIVEC is My Friend :D
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

this may sound dumb but also check the petrol level, if you have low gas and on a hill.
some people may object to this but push starting might help you narrow the problem
Darith
Apprentice

Post by Darith »

it had a half tank, it could be the alarm but i turned it off, i'm picking it up on friday after work, putting a new battery in aswell.

if worst comes to worst get it checked out at another place.

i'll let u know the situation when i get it.

Thanks for all your info guys, much appreciated
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

Darith wrote:when they first jump started the car they put the terminal wrong way around on the jumper pack and blew a fuse they replace it.

ummmm....

red on red
black on black

who the hell is your mechanic?????

the blown fuse will have hopefully protected the important parts of your car but it could be as bad as a fried ECU...

i hope your mechanic is taking full responsibility for this
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

somtimes putting terminals on your car wrong could stuff up a lot more than fuses.

Big bill might be on hands with your mechanic!
Darith
Apprentice

Post by Darith »

HI

My car working now it was the power transittor, very happy now

Thanks for info guys
IND38T
Apprentice

alternator perhaps?

Post by IND38T »

hey guys as i was driving home last night... my volt meter started to drop really really slowly..... then when i got home ... i left the car over night now it wont start then i got home just now after work and my LED for my alarm aint even there anymore.... i changed the battery last month.... could it be the alternator? or could it be the stepper motor? or the power transmittor?
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

Sounds like your alternator could've died and as a result your battery was draining itself as you drove and is now dead. That would be my guess anyway.
TimmyD
Mechanic

Re: alternator perhaps?

Post by TimmyD »

IND38T wrote:hey guys as i was driving home last night... my volt meter started to drop really really slowly..... then when i got home ... i left the car over night now it wont start then i got home just now after work and my LED for my alarm aint even there anymore.... i changed the battery last month.... could it be the alternator? or could it be the stepper motor? or the power transmittor?
im going along the lines of a dead altinator as well... sounds like the most obvious problem..
IND38T
Apprentice

Post by IND38T »

itsssssssssssssss the alternator hehe