ADZSKI'S FTO

A place for members to show off their pride & joys.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

adzski
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: ADZSKI'S FTO

Post by adzski »

Thanks bud, really looking forward to driving it again.

Oh i was curious where you guys got your fto's from, i assumed they would be sourced directly from Japan.

Yeah i have to say i feel.bad for all you guys in the states and UK in regards to rust. Must be a massove headache to deal with.
slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

Well, I think the other two who've gotten FTOs recently in the US got theirs from JP. When I saw mine I just *had* to get it, being a COTY with less than 46k on the odo. Funny thing is, I'm not where roads have to be treated during the winter (TX) yet, I've got the larger restoration task to start. The other two new FTO owners in the US, I believe, live where it does snow. One of them already completed his chassis restoration (and I'm a bit jealous - good on him!). He's also on FTOOC.uk (at least, before it went down again recently).
06 Eclipse GT 5/MT AWD | 09 Eclipse GT 6/MT FWD | 18 Eclipse Cross SEL CVT S-AWC
94 FTO COTY 4/AT FWD | 14 Evo X MR 6/DCT S-AWC | 15 Evo X FE 5/MT S-AWC

adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

Thats super low miles. Well least later you wont have to worry about it once you complete.

I seen a vid of someone selling an fto in the states, they asking crazy prices compared to what they are worth here.

Did bit of work on the FTO today, bleed the brakes and the clutch. And painted rear calipers red.

Also had a go at hydro dipping the coil cover in Carbon Fibre.

Has dried abit now and lost the gloss

Will hit it with a clear tomorrow
slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

Very nice, man :)
You gonna hit those embossed characters with some white, and some classic red for the Hishi?

Yeah, man - it's hilarious what people will pay for an "exotic" these days. You know I'd be dissin' on my own choices if I said the FTO ain't worth that. But... USD 20,000? I didn't pay even 1/4 of that... shipped! for my COTY with all-original stuff (granted, rust and all).

Anyway, I was tailing an A90 Doopra that was anti-lag farting the whole way yesterday. It's moments like those where you start to understand how it feels to be "that old fart" in the classic that, comparing to modern standards, wouldn't hold a candle on a straight line pissing / fire spitting contest. Still - I couldn't help but notice that the Dupe driver and kept watching his rear view mirror. Probably thinking "what on earth is that?"

That's why people would drop $20k on a car that barely edges out a Teggy.
(Though... the tale of the twisty roads would be whispering a different warsong.)

Keep it classy, man!
06 Eclipse GT 5/MT AWD | 09 Eclipse GT 6/MT FWD | 18 Eclipse Cross SEL CVT S-AWC

adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

I might colour the lettering, though half of me just wants to spray some clear coat and call it a day ahha!

Yeah the vid i seen the guy wanted 18k US, which is ridiculous. Can get them here for like maybe 2k US but will ve molested.

Look the FTO is a nice car, but in todays standards a corolla will gap it. Like you said these are more of a classic car for people who appreciate it for what it is.
adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

Did abit of work on the car again, took some time for the inner tie rod removal tool to arrive. Once i had that job was a peice of piss.

For anyone that may be reading, be it unlikely i suggest you just unbolt the strut from the hub when doing this job. Once the lower control arm drops down there is so much more room to get the tool in.

Fitted new innter and our tie rods, with some new steering boots.

Next on list will be to get some new gpx pads and rotors. I have a set of dual piston calipers laying around, so i will put them in. Should be a upgrade from the GR single piston caliper.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Nice man. Bit of maintenance is always good for peace of mind, especially if it's an upgrade at the same time.
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

Nice work, man. Taking care of even those items most people ignore. Kudos, really! Like BJK said - better the foundation is solid should you decide to build it up more.

I've gotta say this in response --- you're right, a Corolla may have more straight-line power. But this quarter-decade old design really is quite a feat of engineering. Handling on the FTO is superb! I really mean it. And that's even considering I drive AWDs all around.
On (still) stock suspension, I'm able to take corners that, on any other normal FWD car I'd get white-knuckled. Not on the FTO. Hardly any understeer. Seems pretty well-balanced despite its soft springs that I really need to replace. Never mind that it's underpowered in stock form - this car just begs to be Autocrossed.

That's what I'd do if I built one up - not for straight-line ability, but for short slalom and the occasional hill country courses.

Here in the US, that's all people talk about is 0-60. That's ok - I've got other vehicles that can do that. But, to hold a corner and power out a turn effortlessly in a FWD... with no boost... priceless.

evo-gsr
Grease Monkey

Post by evo-gsr »

I think you mean quarter century, not quarter decade old design mate.
slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

LOL - yes, thanks. I was born yesterday (don't we all wish :) )

adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

Thanks guys appreciate the nice comments.

Today was nice weather so thought i would work on the FTO and clearcoat my headlights and coilpack cover.

Started by removing the front bumper

This was the state of my headlights, pretty cooked.

Sanded down my headlights with 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper, and gave them a clean with an IPAImage

This is how they looked after light dusting with clear

This is after i finished the clearcoat can off.

After the headlights cure i will lightly sand and polish with my Polisher to get rid of the orange peel. I might make a DIY for the forum as there is not one for clearcoating on the forum. For longetivty i think this is a better option as opposed to just sanding and buffing.
getonit
Grease Monkey

Post by getonit »

Clear coated all my lights.
Added some base coat into the initial coats of clear on the headlights. Has a nice light blue haze effect when the lights are on or sun shining on them.
Make sure you keep them waxed after buff/polish.
adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

Those look really nice. What grit did you sand with after you sprayed them?

I did my xr6 headlights previously but cant remember if it was higher than 2000 grit.

Fitted the coil pack cover
getonit
Grease Monkey

Post by getonit »

1500/2000/3000. Buffed with Juice compound and then a Meguiars finishing compound. Both with foam pads.
Polished and then waxed.
adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

Thanks @getonit i actually sanded mine down and buffed today.

I only had 1500 and 2000 laying around so sanded with those, will pick up some 3000 and sand again.

I am using these compunds, thinking of changing as they dust a lot and it is annoying.

This is how they came out

Fitted them up to see what it looks like
This headlight i only hit with 2000 grit but it didnt bring the orange peel down enough
This i hit with 1500 and 2000, looks much better.

Will get some 3000 grit and do again and polish.
Last edited by adzski on Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

Fitted the fog lights and indicator to the front bar.
Had to use a clear sikaflex as i dont have the mounting brackets.

adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

Fitted the bar back up, everything it still loosely fitted.
Will allign everything properly over the weekend.

bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Come up nice!