Edited :light weight flywheel

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Bennoz
National President
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: 2nd dyno after Manual conversion

Post by Bennoz »

It'll cost you 10 grand & the car will be off the road for 6 months. Even if you leave it 'stock'. Fact.

Mine is 'stock' - I've just replaced a few ancillary items like coil packs & fuel pumps, but the motor is essentially stock, standard turbos & all, just tuned right.

I dont recommend anyone do what I did without having a sound mechanical knowledge / DIY know how. Otherwise, like AJ, you forever be back at the shop spending a grand here, 2 grand there, & a few grand over there.

There is always something wrong with my car, and as soon as I fix that problem, just like the setting of the sun, another one will appear!

If you want turbo performance, but a factory turbo car. Buy a Legnum!
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Bennoz wrote: If you want turbo performance, but a factory turbo car. Buy a Legnum!
Or a GTO?
Sahin
HULK

2nd dyno after Manual conversion

Post by Sahin »

I always thought gto's were kind of ugly
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Really, I've always like them. Wouldn't mind building one for the race track tbh, just don't have the moolah :(
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

Yeah I dunno just something about them I don't really like. like I wouldn't go out and buy one but if I was given one I wouldn't say no.
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Forget the haltech interceptor. Dont work very well with factory management system.
Not true. Ive got one on my FTO and Aza also has one on his. Im currently getting 133kw atw. Haltech gave me around 15kw and improved my fuel economy. Well worth the cash IMO.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    Kustom
    Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

+1 I've only heard good things about the haltech working with the FTO.

GTO's are so quick -.-
    Taz wrote:When funds allow
    Akys
    Manual Conversion

Post by Akys »

Bennoz wrote:It'll cost you 10 grand & the car will be off the road for 6 months. Even if you leave it 'stock'. Fact.

Mine is 'stock' - I've just replaced a few ancillary items like coil packs & fuel pumps, but the motor is essentially stock, standard turbos & all, just tuned right.

I dont recommend anyone do what I did without having a sound mechanical knowledge / DIY know how. Otherwise, like AJ, you forever be back at the shop spending a grand here, 2 grand there, & a few grand over there.

There is always something wrong with my car, and as soon as I fix that problem, just like the setting of the sun, another one will appear!

If you want turbo performance, but a factory turbo car. Buy a Legnum!
    Thanks Ben. Would like a galant instead of Legnum. At this stage I guess getting the engine rebuild sounds like a better option.
    Rob Furniss
    Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

That 107.5KW - was that at the wheels or fly wheel as if it's ATW it's not that low?
    Could just be worn rings dropping your compression a little,have you had it checked?
    May be worthwhile getting a vac gauge on too as that can tell quite a lot about how the engine is performing, go back to basics (well it can tell an expert quite a lot, i'm no expert).
    Akys
    Manual Conversion

Post by Akys »

Shane001 wrote:
    Bennoz wrote: If you want turbo performance, but a factory turbo car. Buy a Legnum!
    Or a GTO?
    2 seaters. not very keen. haha
    Akys
    Manual Conversion

Post by Akys »

Rob Furniss wrote:That 107.5KW - was that at the wheels or fly wheel as if it's ATW it's not that low?
    Could just be worn rings dropping your compression a little,have you had it checked?
    May be worthwhile getting a vac gauge on too as that can tell quite a lot about how the engine is performing, go back to basics (well it can tell an expert quite a lot, i'm no expert).
    107.5kw atw rob.
    yes, compression test had been booked in on Thursday and also a upper manifold clean up by Suzitech.
    Btw, good job on your supercharge FTO project. Very keen to see the result when it's done
    Rob Furniss
    Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Akys wrote:
    Rob Furniss wrote:That 107.5KW - was that at the wheels or fly wheel as if it's ATW it's not that low?
    107.5kw atw rob.
    yes, compression test had been booked in on Thursday and also a upper manifold clean up by Suzitech.
    Btw, good job on your supercharge FTO project. Very keen to see the result when it's done
    I'd guestimate that's somewhere around 133kw at the fly then with 19% transmission loss (or is that too much transmission loss?)
    Taz
    Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

I usually say 17% but yea, bout that
    Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
    4G9XRR
    Apprentice

Post by 4G9XRR »

A piggy back has limitations of a factory computer. It does NOT give you full control of both fuel and ignition map.

Might as well use a reflashed 99-04 mirage lancer ecu over a piggyback any day. Same use nippon denso 76 pin plug and has very 95% pin out with little modification it will work with a 6a12 or 6a12 mivec.
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

True, piggyback has limitations, but to do what you are suggesting would be a custom jobbie and would most likely cost just as much (unless you have the knowhow to do it yourself - which the vast majority of people dont). Ive made the mistake of going down that path before. Noone wants to touch something like that/ If something goes wrong and you cant fix it, you are screwed. At least with the piggyback there are licenced people that can troubleshoot and repair them. Besides, ive got a 99 FTO, so how is a 99 mirage going to be better. Its the same year model.
    Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      4G9XRR
      Apprentice

Post by 4G9XRR »

Disagree, why would it be a custom job? Considering both cars lancer and fto has the same number of hall sensor one on crank another on cam.

Th mitsu rom inside the oem ecu are all the same ONLY they are all programmed diffrently to suit diffent engines.

It is not expensive at all places like MRT and RPW have been toying around with them with quite a remarkable success.

Damage??? Damage can only occur if your tuner does not know what his doing. Same goes for your haltech interceptor if he/she plots the wrong inputs on afr and ignition table it will result on failure.
      Shane001
      Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

4G9XRR wrote:A piggy back has limitations of a factory computer. It does NOT give you full control of both fuel and ignition map.
      This of course depends on the piggyback. The eManage Ultimate does have direct control over both fuel and ignition. Sure it's still not to the same level as a full replacement ecu, but then again there are some pretty average full replacement ecu's out there as well.
      Shane001
      Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

4G9XRR wrote:Damage??? Damage can only occur if your tuner does not know what his doing.
      Finding one that does know what he's doing is the hard part :lol:
      Akys
      Manual Conversion

Post by Akys »

so getting a piggy back or stand alone ecu now will still help eventhough the tuner say there ain't much they can do after looking at my dyno result
      Kustom
      Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

Akys wrote:so getting a piggy back or stand alone ecu now will still help eventhough the tuner say there ain't much they can do after looking at my dyno result
      I believe aza got 15kw and dwayne 13kw... atw..
      Taz wrote:When funds allow