Looking to buy an FTO, Help Needed

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

superezra
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by superezra »

So i'm looking to buy a FTO DE3A GX AERO year 2000. Since it's going to be my first car and i'm completely noob can someone point out the differences between this and the GPX?
Everything is in stock with a few scratches which I can easily fix, what are your opinions. I'm thinking about getting it within the next few days.
JohanGPX
Grease Monkey

Re: Looking to buy an FTO, Help Needed

Post by JohanGPX »

http://www.mitsubishi-fto.org/info/specs.htm

Basically the GPX has a mivec engine, where as the GX does not. (22kW difference) - however you won't come across a 2000 model FTO all that often.
superezra
Apprentice

Post by superezra »

Well since i'm on red P's i'm playing it safe and not speeding. But i know with the GR/GX you can turbo it, so would it matter to a driver like me?
Of course I have an auto license cause I was lazy, so a tiptronic vehicle is the only thing in my interest. Basically i'm going for looks over performance, and if this car holds up I might turbo it in the future. Would the speed differ to the GPX then? Cause I don't want a 1994/5 GPX that has been thrashed.
JohanGPX
Grease Monkey

Post by JohanGPX »

I can't imagine a GX a couple of years newer being quicker than a gpx - but I'd assume it's in overall better condition. If you're only after looks and condition then I'd go with the GX hands down.
superezra
Apprentice

Post by superezra »

Alright i'll see how i go with it then, also what is the normal price for a 2000 gx?
kiz
SA Coordinator

Post by kiz »

You wouldn't happen to be looking at this one by any change;
http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/detai ... 0-12211245
There are two types of people on forums; those that give helpful advice, and the others

1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPVR AERO ;)
superezra
Apprentice

Post by superezra »

Yeah i'm looking at that one, what do you think?
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

2000 model with a pre facelift front bar??? Looks alight but what the?
Shhtuart
Forum Moderator

Post by Shhtuart »

kiz wrote:You wouldn't happen to be looking at this one by any change;
http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/detai ... 0-12211245
That's not a GX, do not buy that. It was probably complied in 2000 so the seller assumes it's a GX.

Pre-Facelift front, Pre-Facelift steering wheel, no airbag, and it's a 4spd auto.

:facepalm:
kiz
SA Coordinator

Post by kiz »

Haha yea I thought that same thing when I saw it, alarm bells rang in my head when I first saw that listing.

Don't buy it, clearly the dealer has NO idea, and since neither do you on this matter, listen to those that do ;)
There are two types of people on forums; those that give helpful advice, and the others

superezra
Apprentice

Post by superezra »

If it's not a GX then what is it? So what problems could go wrong if i bought this?
kiz
SA Coordinator

Post by kiz »

superezra wrote:If it's not a GX then what is it? So what problems could go wrong if i bought this?
Well they have painted over the rear right side of the boot where the model is usually found. Check the seatbelt to find the manufacturing date, which I am doubtful is 2000.

Check to see if the engine is MIVEC, which it will have saying on it, ask to see the paperwork (doubtful they will let you)

All in all i'd stay away from it, someone is hiding something nasty somewhere.

Now sure what other members recommend, i've said what i've needed :o

superezra
Apprentice

Post by superezra »

Well i checked the engine, it's not MIVEC, but i forgot to check the year on the side. So you're saying it could be a GR with hidden problems ?
kiz
SA Coordinator

Post by kiz »

superezra wrote:Well i checked the engine, it's not MIVEC, but i forgot to check the year on the side. So you're saying it could be a GR with hidden problems ?
Well it could possibly be. It has too many signs that someone is covering stuff up. And a dealer who obviously got his hands on this vehicle and thought, quick money. Even though he/they clearly can't distinguish it's make or model. Which makes me think they are reselling it with the same incorrect information they received at the time?

Check the seatbelt tags next time, if they are missing (which they shouldn't be) avoid purchasing the vehicle. If they are there they will always show the manufacturing month and year.

How many K's has it done? And most cars up for resale have hidden problems, or problems that haven't yet affected the driveability of the vehicle. You will never know the history of any vehicle unless it comes with a folder full of all the servicings, check etc etc, and honestly how many people do that? especially for a vehicle this old

superezra
Apprentice

Post by superezra »

Just got the report, it was registered in Australia in 2000 not manufactured. It was actually manufactured in 1996 the current kms are around 160km. The vehicle is completely stock though, if i get it checked out and it's clear as a good car. Should I just buy it as a first car?
kiz
SA Coordinator

Post by kiz »

superezra wrote:Just got the report, it was registered in Australia in 2000 not manufactured. It was actually manufactured in 1996 the current kms are around 160km. The vehicle is completely stock though, if i get it checked out and it's clear as a good car. Should I just buy it as a first car?
See what a little bit of insight does ;)

Personally I don't go for cars with such a high odometer, (imported mine from Japan at 57,200km recently). But that has a long wait to do it like that.

If your eager to get a FTO (which I know you are, I was the same) then do it. However if you feel you can wait then look around a bit, there are some good members vehicles up for sale on this forum as well as around the country. All depends on your own tastes and how patient you are ;)

superezra
Apprentice

Post by superezra »

Nah it's the price also, my budget is 5k and i've already gotten this down with my mates. And it's going to be a first car, would you believe that's a good argument to go with it?
kiz
SA Coordinator

Post by kiz »

superezra wrote:Nah it's the price also, my budget is 5k and i've already gotten this down with my mates. And it's going to be a first car, would you believe that's a good argument to go with it?
Correct me if i'm wrong, your budget is $5,000 yet the price is $6,990?

It is good for a first car, my first car was a 1995 Mazda MX6 which I still have.

If your set on it then get it, but be prepared for any surprises that may come along (not to say anything will go wrong). If you get it enjoy ;)

Don't let my comments persuade you not to get it, in the end it is your money and ultimately your decision :D

superezra
Apprentice

Post by superezra »

Yeah i've got him to take it down to 5.5, should be more tomorrow when i let him know that his 2000 model is actually 1996. But yeah i'll get it checked out tomorrow with my dad and his mate, if i can push it to around 4k would it be worth it?
kiz
SA Coordinator

Post by kiz »

Yea, just let him know you've been talking to a few people who know a bit about FTOs, tell him that it isn't the vehicle that he had listed. Try and get the vehicle price as low as possible, that way if it does need some work done you've saved a bit of money to put towards it ;).

Doubt he'd go down to $4,000 after $6,990 but you can give it a try ;). Just get someone experienced with mechanics to give it a check over first, look for rust, leaks, damage, the usual wear and tear. Find out as much as you can about the history of the vehicle. Dealerships aren't known as stealerships for no reason :D